X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leather accessories

Here is a question on each of your personal preference regarding leather accessories. What do you prefer black or brown leather? To me brown leather always seemed more natural.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the old school that I was raised in, brown leather was worn during the day or for out of doors activities.
    Black was considered more formal and was always worn after 6:00pm.

I was also raised that all the leather in your outfit should be the same color. Black with black and brown with brown. But Prince Charles breaks that rule on a daily basis so I guess you are OK.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 7th January 17 at 05:13 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it wholly depends on the tartan. I have black with my Gunn Modern (which is heavily green), but I prefer brown with my Manson Weathered (red and orange/browns).

Gunn Modern:
    Gunn-Modern.jpg

Manson Weathered:
    Manson-weathered2.jpg
    Last edited by slothead; 8th January 17 at 04:27 AM.
    Regards,
    Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I normally go for black leather yet I have worked with several colors of leather. The dark olive green hide I picked up a while ago looks great yet I don't find myself using it for much.

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with steve

I haven't been a "Kiltie" for a very long time, but somehow the wearing of the kilt stirs my heart...... and I have never been accused of being fashion concious.....but some how it just seems right that Brown leather goes with brown leather and Black with black......as far as The Prince is concerned, I don't often agree with everything he does, wears, or says, and somehow I think he feels the same about me...... To each his own....... without being insulting....it is what fashion evolution is I think....just my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess for me it would really depend on the tartan (if kilted). Some tartans look better with brown, some look better with black leather, some look good with both! Now, you won't catch me wearing brown leather during evening or formal events, and I will always match shoes and belt. The sporran I see as the exception, as I like the mixed color leather sporrans.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I make the vast majority of my leather stuff in brown, or some variation on British tan. I like the variation in color and grain for brown leathers and personally find black kind of boring. I do have a black belt, black sporran and black shoes, but seldom wear them.

I also found that the best way to get your wife to let you buy more hunks of expensive leather is to make some stuff for her while you're at it.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup,

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    I make the vast majority of my leather stuff in brown, or some variation on British tan. I like the variation in color and grain for brown leathers and personally find black kind of boring. I do have a black belt, black sporran and black shoes, but seldom wear them.

I also found that the best way to get your wife to let you buy more hunks of expensive leather is to make some stuff for her while you're at it.

You really are a smart fellow...and by the look of the sporrans you build a very talented fellow as well

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    In the old school that I was raised in, brown leather was worn during the day or for out of doors activities.
    Black was considered more formal and was always worn after 6:00pm.

I was also raised that all the leather in your outfit should be the same color. Black with black and brown with brown. But Prince Charles breaks that rule on a daily basis so I guess you are OK.
    I think Prince Charles is being absolutely traditional in kilt attire terms with black shoes and brown sporran for daywear. I think nearly all traditional kilt wearers of my experience in Scotland make that choice. Prince Charles does sometimes wear a very old and superbly polished pair of very, very dark brown shoes when wearing the kilt , although in many pictures and from afar, they do look black.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post

This is exemplary work!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast