X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternative Flash?

I'll be attending my first Burns Dinner this coming weekend, and I want to make sure I won't violate a point of etiquette.

I recently earned my "schuler" ribbon as a student of the Meyer school of longsword fencing, and it consists of a white ribbon worn tied around the right calf in the same manner as a garter. Would it be acceptable for me to wear it in the place of my normal Douglas flash on that leg? My instructor has said it's not a violation of etiquette within the school, but I want to make sure I won't be violating a point of highland dress rules.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most, including me, would not know about, or understand the significance of the fencing ribbon, but my gut feeling is that its best not to mix traditions. In the Highlands of Scotland many would consider it as showing off, if you did wear it with the kilt, which is best avoided generally.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 17th January 17 at 02:16 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 11 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was the sort of advice I was looking for. Thank you; I'll forego wearing it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have to agree with Jock here, time and place are always important considerations, though you are proud of your accomplishment, and rightly so. I would not wear it with Highland attire.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can we see what this Schuler ribbon looks like on your leg , Please

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just one other thing I like about this forum; people asking honest questions about the wearing of some item, honour, award or bobble that has honourific or other significance - and others being open in answering.

I'm, also curious about the ribbon. I could not find much online, though it appears to have German connections, is that correct?

We mix styles, but when it comes to kilts - or any national/regional/cultural dress - the mixing of culture starts getting a bit messy where one can't make a reasonable connection. So a Germanic swordsman's award from a school of instruction worn on highland dress gets a bit ..messy. Yet, if you had a Schuler (school) lapel pin - because lapel pins are ubiquitous - it becomes less obtrusive and more acceptable. No, this is not a hint to go off on a 'what is acceptable' with a kilt tangent. Simply some social commentary since OP could have asked the same question with regard to business dress - if this was a business dress forum.

Nothing says OP can't replace both of those Douglas tartan flashes with other colours, though. Indeed, some encourage it.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking very generally, lapel pins are the exception rather than a rule, certainly not "ubiquitous", in the UK in general and Scotland in particular and dare I say it, are considered as one of those things that is not done. Before some one comes up with a load of pictures contradicting what I have said, I do concede that lapel pins appear to be worn more these days in the UK than they were.I can think of one almost universilly accepted exception within the U.K. and the Commonwealth, the poppy at around the time of Armistice Day.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 29th January 17 at 04:23 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post: