X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.
8th January 17, 07:43 AM
I recently bought some repro WW1 Scottish regiment kit. The one thing it was shorting was a kilt cover, as I'm going to do Gordon highlanders, as I have Cape Town Highlanders kit and this was a sister regiment of the GH. The kit I bought came with an original Australian made apron, but many regiments used the full cover, like the GH later in WW1.
To import a repro kilt cover I was looking at GBP38 without shipping and taxes. Decided to do it myself. Bought some khaki cotton twill, looked at lots of photos and read up lots. The only issue was I had not bought enough length of material to do the whole cover in one. However one of the inside pics I found showed this cover had a seam about 80% of the cover length where the front apron met the rear to get these angled. I also found a Blackwatch kilt cover with a full length seam. I noted on the repros the pleats were nice and parallel, where as the originals were more rough with the pleats narrowing to the top slightly, and overlapping slightly.
I then mapped out a pattern and made it and the result I'm well chuffed with.
Here busy with the pleats
Here is the completed product with brass button fitted.
Here is my kit I had bought with the front apron.
The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to richardh For This Useful Post: