X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Like this Place Already!

Hello all you fellow kilt-lovers!

I stumbled onto this site as I was wearing myself out looking for a quality kilt outfit for the best price. After reading a number of posts and responses, I thought to myself, "I like these folks." So I registered.

I'm a retired college professor (University of Nevada Las Vegas) who in recent months has become intrigued by my Scottish roots, which I've managed to trace back to 1200s in the Kintail region of the Highlands. As a new member of Clan MacRae of North America, I have decided to sponsor a tent at the upcoming Las Vegas Highland Games in mid-April. Thus, I'm looking for an outfit.

I've visited most of the kilt makers who support this forum, but all their products and prices are starting to run together. If anyone is willing to share their experience with excellent quality and service companies for a fair price (hey, I'm a Scot!), I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm looking forward to meeting new friends.

Best wishes,

GlennMac

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to GlennMac For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, GlennMac, from Inverness-shire and British Columbia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Colorado.

As far as quality, customer service, and price go I would recommend USA Kilts. Celtic Croft has good accessories and some of the hard to find items, like a good instrument oil for bagpipes. Both sometimes have good sales. I have only done business with a few of the advertisers on here so I can not tell you how they all are.

Sometimes some of the bagpipe supply stores have sales. I know www.hendersongroupltd.com/ has great customer service yet not always the best prices on clothing and www.thepipershut.com sometimes has good sale items.

This site also has DIY and For Sale sections that you can check out. The DIY is a great place for ideas if you are good at making thinks. If you wear an unusual size, like my 6' 5" self, then you are not as likely to find a kilt or jacket in your size listed on here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from up north in Reno,
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble!"
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well met Glenn. As far as having Scottish tendencies (frugal), I think you should choose wisely with quality and simplicity. There will be no need to over display Scottish goods and wardrobe. Dress for the environment, length of event, amount of activity you'll exert and comfort. I know other members that have sponsored tents that will pipe in soon. Welcome

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome from Toronto.
    St. Andrew's Society of Toronto

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello GlennMac and
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always Good to Meet Another Tarheel

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Well met Glenn. As far as having Scottish tendencies (frugal), I think you should choose wisely with quality and simplicity. There will be no need to over display Scottish goods and wardrobe. Dress for the environment, length of event, amount of activity you'll exert and comfort. I know other members that have sponsored tents that will pipe in soon. Welcome
    Some ancestors from my maternal side spent time in NC, but Dad's line went back to the first governor of VA (appointed by the Crown) and later moved south to NC. Not knowing any of this at the time I was hunting for graduate schools, I selected UNC-Chapel Hill. I built a house outside of Hillsborough, where I soon afterward learned that my ancestors had settled in the early 1700s. I loved it there! Do you subscribe to reincarnation?!

Ahhh, North Carolina: Winter wonderland to the West with world class SCUBA (wreck) diving on the coast.

Your suggestion about getting an outfit is EXACTLY what I'm thinking. I'm leaning toward an inexpensive "starter" outfit, maybe USA Kilts' Semi-traditional with basic accessories.

I appreciate your advice and warm welcome!

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to GlennMac For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, LKM, for the info and suggestions.

I'm thinking in terms now of the Semi-Traditional Kilt from USA Kilts. At 6'3" I have a partial understanding of your challenges at 6'5".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast