X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Native dress" at work

I work for a local native American tribal health system in USA and we have an official uniform policy which is pretty standard in that it mentions that men must wear pants, dress shirt and dress shoes. A key difference is at the end of the policy where there is an exception to the degree of "Native dress is allowed if it is appropriate for the wearers culture." I am certain that this is meant to allow for traditional native clothing, but under the wording would it protect me from punishment for wearing a kilt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on whether you want to be literal or observe the spirit and intent of the policy. You know what was intended. Why not just ask your boss if wearing a kilt occasionally would be acceptable without dragging out the policy and testing the tolerance of your boss and the organization.
    St. Andrew's Society of Toronto

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to JohntheBiker For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have another member who works in a Reservation Health Clinic and wears his kilt daily at the clinic.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    We have another member who works in a Reservation Health Clinic and wears his kilt daily at the clinic.
    Interesting, I think I may have seen someone mention Midwest IHS clinics in previous posts. Are they a physician? Midlevel provider? Nurse?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wonder why anyone would want to put one over on their boss. Severely career limiting move.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

8. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I always wonder why anyone would want to put one over on their boss. Severely career limiting move.
    Long lasting problems with authority. Fortunately my life has allowed me to be in a position where I can avoid frequent interactions with administration.
    Last edited by styphonthal; 15th January 17 at 12:43 PM.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to styphonthal For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by styphonthal View Post
    I work for a local native American tribal health system in USA and we have an official uniform policy which is pretty standard in that it mentions that men must wear pants, dress shirt and dress shoes. A key difference is at the end of the policy where there is an exception to the degree of "Native dress is allowed if it is appropriate for the wearers culture." I am certain that this is meant to allow for traditional native clothing, but under the wording would it protect me from punishment for wearing a kilt?
    Are you a native Highlander?

I'm guessing not. I suspect that like most of us you are American-born with some Scottish ancestry. If that is the case, then this is not a good fight to pick.
    Last edited by davidlpope; 15th January 17 at 12:45 PM.

12. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlpope View Post
    Are you a native Highlander?

I'm guessing not. I suspect that like most of us you are American-born with some Scottish ancestry. If that is the case, then this is not a good fight to pick.
    This. If you're an American then IMO it's a pretty weak angle to try to work. Thing is though, it's your boss or HR department you should be asking since they're the only ones who can give you an answer. You have nothing to lose by asking, and you might be pleasantly surprised.
    Cheers!
    Bob

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ratspike For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna stand with Bob here. Ask. Politely, of course. I see a lot of cultural clothing in the Atlanta, much of which is being worn
    by folk long removed from that culture (I often ask). I get tired of being told that this or that individual has a "right" to cultural
    clothing, but that as a white European I have no culture to which I might feel connected. As silly as it might seem, that attitude
    strengthened my long-held desire to own a kilt and wear it. They may not allow it, but I'm big on encouraging people to examine
    attitudes and beliefs they may not realize they hold; it gives them a chance to remove themselves from hypocritical thinking. Not
    my job if they don't; above my pay grade. But if no one gives them the opportunity, they may not ever notice. Tact is crucial, and
    sometimes I even pull it off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by styphonthal View Post
    I am certain that this is meant to allow for traditional native clothing,...
    Native dress in the context of the policy is native American dress. Kilts are usually referred as the national or a regional dress of Scotland. Add your comment as quoted, above, and you've answered your own question.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post: