X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Rabble from Dunbar in Texas

I have a new Kilt in Dunbar modern tartan made by fellow Clan Dunbar member Debbie Gibson of Colorado. She is daughter to former Chieftain Dan Dunbar and has been making Kilts for years. It fits perfect but I have zero accessories so far. Clan Dunbar (Society) was founded in 1980 and my father joined soon thereafter. I have had a Dunbar tartan necktie for a couple of decades, the closest I have been to displaying our tartan. I went to my first highland games last September (2016) in Estes Park Colorado where Clan Dunbar had their AGM, Annual General Meeting. I met many relatives and fellow members including Chief of the name, Sir James Dunbar 14th Bt.of Mochrum.
    I descend from Robert Dunbar of Hingham Massachusetts who was possibly captured at the Battle of Dunbar Sept. 3 1650 by Cromwell and shipped to the Colonies as in indentured servant. The other possibility is that he was an adventurous sort who went to the University of Aberdeen thence to London and fell in with the proprietors of the Iron Works in the Boston area. Regardless within a couple of years he appears in Hingham and is described as paying the highest taxes save two other individuals in the township. Either way we are fairly certain he was literate and probably from a landed family in Moray. We do not know his parents names in Scotland yet but are close. My father did Y-DNA testing including 111 markers and Big-Y. His results along with those of several others put Robert as descending from David Dunbar of Durris, 5th son of Sir Alexander Dunbar & Isobel Sutherland. Sir Alexander was the heritable Sheriff or Moray and son of John Dunbar 4th Earl of Moray d.1391. Sir Alexander was an infant upon his fathers death and was possibly illegitimate, though later legitimized. His older sisters/step-sisters wrested the Earldom away from him and they married into other Clans. The King gave him the Sheriff title as a consolation. Current Clan Dunbar Chief, Sir James, descends from his son Alexander Dunbar of Conzie and Kilbuyack. I have 3 or perhaps 4 generations between Robert Dunbar of Hingham MA b.1634 and David Dunbar of Durris d.1521. All of these Dunbar's descend from the Earls of Dunbar through Sir Patrick of Westerspott, d. 1357 brother of Patrick V Ninth Earl of Dunbar and father of George I, 10th Earl of Dunbar. The first earl of Dunbar was Gospatric I, nephew of King Duncan and grandson of Crinan Thane of Dunkeld. His mother descends from the Wessex Kings of England.

All that history has me working my way into wearing the kilt. I know kilt wearing post dates most of those ancestors but I am proud of my heritage and will be representing the Clan at events in the US and on our next tour of Scotland in 2019. I am candidate for Chieftain with the current Chieftain stepping down. If elected I look forward to working with Sir James and all the others who put so much effort into keeping alive the history of a once very influential family. I do see the irony in wearing highland dress being descended from lowland nobility who had as many estates in England as Scotland for centuries.
    Enough of the dissertation. I have learned a lot from X-Marks the Scot before registering and look forward to learning enough to not look ignorant in the manner of wearing the kilt. I plan of going casual for now, primarily wearing at highland events in the US. I'll need to get more formal gear before the next tour of Scotland so as to not look silly.
    I do look forward to Rabble rousing with the group!
    Slainte,
    David

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble!"
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome aboard

from Cypress, Texas.

Where are you located? Texas is a big place...
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    from Cypress, Texas.

Where are you located? Texas is a big place...
    Tomball! Just across Faulkey Gully from Cypress. West of Eldridge Pkwy btw Louetta and Spring Cypress. Howdy neighbor!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well met David. Glad to have you among us. Hope to hear more from you soon.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello David and
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! You might mention your involvement with the Civil Wars prisoners Cromwell sold here. Might be some descendants other then me.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from a Scotsman living in middle England. Many thanks for the fascinating family history.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from the highland lochs of Texas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wellcome from Killeen

Glad to have you aboard!

Jack