X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post-Tanning hide 'adjustment'

Very specifically I am looking to find out how to reform the head of a fox that was tanned (for a wall-hanging I suppose) and dried out and 'curled up'. I would like to try and soften the face, so that I could reform it and put some glass/acrylic eyes in it to assemble onto a sporran I am making.

First of all, is my objective realistic at all?

Secondly, what can I use to soften the hide of the face (water, some sort of tanning agent)?

I'm assuming that once I get it pliable I can put some sort of form under it (shaped styrofoam or even some form of shaped cardboard - shot in the dark) to provide a decent shape and to anchor the eye inserts. Does any of that make sense?

Thanks for any and all inputs.
    Regards,
    Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The process described here is claimed to be suitable for a tanned fur pelt or hide that has grown stiff with age:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8335220_soft...nned-hide.html

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the borax, soda and liquid soap method for new (dried) hides. Without softening the pelt after the initial treatment (rubbing and oiling) the hide will regain its stiffness upon drying. There will be a period (about two days) in order to finish the project. I have let my hides "cure" for a few weeks after the borax-soap cleaning. Planning will be a key to success using the method, via the link, Bruce suggested.

I recommend working out of doors. The odor will linger (not very long) but may be offensive to people not used to smell.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dad has always done something similar to what is described in Bruce's link, but without the borax etc. But this is with commercial tanned hides from a known source that are not "Hard"

Not knowing if the hide you have is tanned but not broke, or just rawhided, soaking in water could make things worse....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted.
    Regards,
    Tom