X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Stones of Scotland Film

I don't think I've seen this posted yet. I found it a very well done and fascinating piece.
    It's called Stoneland
    http://www.roguefitness.com/stonelan..._medium=social
    Last edited by ctbuchanan; 17th January 17 at 12:28 PM.
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

2. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to ctbuchanan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks for posting this film. Brought back many memories of when I was growing up and seeing so many well know faces I had almost forgotten about. I feel as thought I am in my youth again and this certainly has given me a feel good lift. I have only watched about a 1/4 of the film but will watch the rest tonight. However, I felt I had to do a quick comment about it. Much appreciate you taking the time to post this.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jfraser For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fascinating program, thank you for the referral!

One interesting point they make, during the piece about the stone at the Inver Lodge, is claiming that after a young man lifted the stone and was declared a 'man', he was allowed to wear a single eagle feather in his bonnet.
    McVeigh Sept of Clan MacLean

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to JasonMc For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friend Martin was involved in the making of the film, I was lucky enough to go and lift most of the stones shown early in 2016, I also lifted the Dinnies and Nichols stone and some others back in 2010.
    I will be going back up this year for some highland games comps, i no doubt will have a go at one or two more whilst I am up there

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to samurai69 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samurai69 View Post
    My friend Martin was involved in the making of the film, I was lucky enough to go and lift most of the stones shown early in 2016, I also lifted the Dinnies and Nichols stone and some others back in 2010.
    I will be going back up this year for some highland games comps, i no doubt will have a go at one or two more whilst I am up there
    Is the Dinnies Stone the one I heard Scots (allegedly) dispute the man lifted. Something about "Dinnie dinna do it!" or the like. Same stone?

JMB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blupiper View Post
    Is the Dinnies Stone the one I heard Scots (allegedly) dispute the man lifted. Something about "Dinnie dinna do it!" or the like. Same stone?

JMB
    According the film and local history the stones were named after Donald Dinnie a renowned athlete and weightlifter of the 19th century.
    The stones were counter weights used in the construction of a bridge which he found and used in his feats of strength.

Although I know I cannae lift them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Dinnie
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After spending my formative years doing heavy manual labor, watching the video makes me want to give the event a go. Granted, the ongoing disagreement between middle age and my lower back will have to be consulted before doing so. Now my wife will wonder what in the heck I'm doing with the large field stones in our back yard
    McVeigh Sept of Clan MacLean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbuchanan View Post
    According the film and local history the stones were named after Donald Dinnie a renowned athlete and weightlifter of the 19th century.
    The stones were counter weights used in the construction of a bridge which he found and used in his feats of strength.

Although I know I cannae lift them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Dinnie

The story goes that Donald Dinnie picked up the stones and carried them back across the bridge to the hotel...... A feat that hasnt been done directly though The strongman Glenn Ross carried them on the back of a flat bed truck across the bridge. They are only lifted with permission now, when i was up they just sat out side the hotel and anyone could lift them, i lifted them 3 times without straps for help and a final lift with straps

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to samurai69 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been interested in the stones of strength for several years now after first reading of them in a MILO magazine. This is definitely a bucketlist item as well as traveling to Scotland in the next few years to compete in a highland games there. Having never done any atlas stones I should probably train some and find the lighter stones on this circuit as well. I'd like to give the Dinnie a shot too. Hopefully my stubby legs will be enough to break them off the ground. Guess there's nothing to it but buying the plane ticket. What am I waiting for again?
    Ancestral Surname: Nobles, possibly kin to Clan MacKintosh.
    Genographics: R1b-L1065+ (Scots Modal Haplogroup)