X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: New Sgian Dubh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Sgian Dubh

After a lot of searching I finally pulled the trigger on a new Sgian Dubh for black and white tie affairs. I know I really should have a stone topped Sgian Dubh for white tie but I think this has enough of a presence to pull it off.

IMG_3581.jpg

IMG_3582.jpg

I have to say that I am rather happy with it. The blade came pretty sharp out of the box but I did have to knock a minor burr off it.

It also came with two sheaths - one rather which and heavy duty, the other slimmer but easier to draw the Sgian Dubh.

It has a decent heft to it and is about 7 inches total length.

2. The Following 11 Users say 'Aye' to Hirsty For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very regal selection!

Very nice!

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KiltingandPiping For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks great. Is that from the Sheffield cutlery company?
    I've been trying to decide on a quality sgian dubh that would have a sharp blade and useable for most occasions, I already have a dress sgian dubh with the resin handle.
    Would you recommend their products
    Thanks David

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to David Dubh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Dubh View Post
    That looks great. Is that from the Sheffield cutlery company?
    I've been trying to decide on a quality sgian dubh that would have a sharp blade and useable for most occasions, I already have a dress sgian dubh with the resin handle.
    Would you recommend their products
    Thanks David
    It is from the Sheffield Cutlery Shop.

It is pretty in real life and it has a good edge to it. I cannot comment on whether it would keep the edge as I have just got it and, although I do like my Sgian Dubhs to be sharp, I rarely use them for anything more than decoration so they do not get the usage of my Leatherman, for example. I did draw it along a piece of paper and it sliced through no problem.

As for build quality - it is great. All the fittings are solid with no wobble, give, looseness, etc. The stag horn is genuine and has been treated with care when fitting the blade. It fits nicely into the hand.

The silver pommel cap has stags adorning it but they are too faint to be visible to the casual viewer when it is in the hose.

I cannot fault the craftsmanship and I cannot wait to have an excuse to wear it.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hirsty For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious about sharpening ... ha ... creating an edge on a sgian dubh. The one I have, typical of one coming from the The Sgian Dubh Company and those found at Highland events have an edge that is so thick, I'm not certain it can be sharpened; does anyone have experience creating an enge on such a blade? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've sharpened up my day wear Sgian Dubh using my diamond hones. I used the coarse grade hone to get an edge followed by the fine grade hone to finish it off.

It took a couple of hours but it has kept a good edge.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not certain it can be sharpened
    With the right implements, sharpening is not the problem—keeping an edge is. Costume sgians are all over the board as far as the quality of their steels. I once bought a Damascus sgian blade for a project. The finished project looks great but the steel is so soft it won't hold an edge past a few cuts. If you want a functional blade, check the composition and heat treatment of the steel before you purchase so you don't make the same mistake I did.
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MNlad For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by javankrona View Post
    ... I'm not certain it can be sharpened; does anyone have experience creating an enge on such a blade? Thanks.
    If you're smooth and steady-handed, you can grind a fresh edge onto it with a standard grinding wheel, but be careful: it's easy to draw the temper from the blade by overheating it, and darn hard to re-temper a blade that already has its handle installed.

You can also grind an edge on with hand tools, but it takes eternally long. On the good hand, it's nearly impossible to "lose your temper" with a file or a handheld slipstone.

You can put an edge on any flat strap of metal, if you're of a mind to.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taffy Jack For This Useful Post: