X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nest of Sgian Dubhs

From old paintings it seems quite commonplace to have a nest of Sgian Dubhs in one's hose but I haven't seen a contemporary picture of anyone sporting more than one.

Does anyone out there still do it or is this more something for the historical/re-enactments people?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you give an example? Some of the fancier hose ties could look like sgian dubh handles from a distance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The below picture of Henry Raeburn shows him sporting 2 Sgian Dubhs in his right hose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sgian-...rt_Project.jpg

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's actually Alasdair Ranaldson MacDonell of Glengarry as painted by Raeburn. He's sporting THREE sgians in his hose, but I don't think you should consider anything that that Glengarry did as commonplace.

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    That's actually Alasdair Ranaldson MacDonell of Glengarry as painted by Raeburn. He's sporting THREE sgians in his hose, but I don't think you should consider anything that that Glengarry did as commonplace.
    Apologies, it was poorly worded, I meant as painted by Raeburn. But it is not the only one I've seen from this era with more than one Sgian Dubh in their hose. Do you think this was just some affectation?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps 'eccentric' best describes the man. One skinning knife, perhaps, but three?

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say that I have seen ,or heard of anyone possessing such a collection of SD's ------- let alone "wearing" them----- in the last seven decades or so.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

10. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always carry multiple blades, kilted or not. But I think wearing them all in the same location would somewhat defeat the purpose of having more than one in the first place. Doesn't seem practical and the ancients were nothing if not practical
    "The Scots have a transportable culture, you don't stop bein a Scot just because you live in America or Australia or anywhere else."

Colin G. Calloway

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the 'multiple' because of where you live, or what you do, CamelCody? There was a time when I often carried a small sheathed Russell skinning knife for its function with my always-present Swiss army knife for its even smaller two blades, its corkscrew and its awl. Today, of course, if I needed both at the same time I could call on my XMarks sgian dubh (unabashed sales pitch for Freedom Kilts )
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 19th February 17 at 08:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I normally have 3 different knives on me but I never carry them in the same spot. I got some of the modern sgians and the just don't work for me as a knock around knife so I still ended up carrying my go to in my sporran. Over the years it has evolved that if I do carry one in my hose I hardly even use it (most of the time forgetting it's there) so I just carry one that looks traditional.
    Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadbelly View Post
    If people don't like it they can go sit on a thistle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast