X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clisgett View Post
    Here is the S&W HRT boot knife you posted. You can have the clip turned to the hose or have it removed. To get a new sheath made for it would not be hard. Yes the rubber handle pulls on the leg hair a bit but you get use to it. When properly placed it wouldn't move around.
    16651991_10212295383924679_750331194_n.jpg16652053_10212295382564645_495889314_n.jpg2.jpg16558703_10212295383724674_1528798111_n.jpg16559394_10212295384044682_409893463_n.jpg1.jpg
    "Show me a man that would jump from a airplane, I will show you a man that will fight"
    https://utahsamspost1847.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is a knife I had around the house I thought I would try it. it's 7" over all with about a 4" blade. it needs a new sheath as the old one extends about 2/3rds of the way up the hilt.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to uncle remus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    Here is the S&W HRT boot knife you posted. You can have the clip turned to the hose or have it removed. To get a new sheath made for it would not be hard. Yes the rubber handle pulls on the leg hair a bit but you get use to it. When properly placed it wouldn't move around.
    16651991_10212295383924679_750331194_n.jpg16652053_10212295382564645_495889314_n.jpg2.jpg16558703_10212295383724674_1528798111_n.jpg16559394_10212295384044682_409893463_n.jpg1.jpg
    As an observation and I don't think there is a right or wrong way to position an SD in ones hose, but it's usual to have an inch plus a tad of hilt showing above ones hose top. Why? SD' s have been known to fall out if not tucked firmly into the hose and secondly in this day and age of awareness of "weapons" and the hysteria that sometimes goes with them, then with only a small amount of hilt showing implies it's hardly there in a ready to use position.

Following on with this train of thought, an SD is a genuine part of kilt attire and is actually not a weapon in the normal day to day terminology so "officialdom" usually (not always) understands that, but I am not at all sure if they would be so understanding with the example you are showing so blatantly? I know, it's a tricky subject and you are in a different country to me , but...............Might it be worth giving it more than a passing thought before stepping out of the house?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 7th February 17 at 02:30 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me second Jock's wise observation on understanding the local rules and culture before stepping out with a sgian. In New York City, forex, the slightest display of a knife on the person is technically illegal - even the top of sgian above the hose, or a bit of a knife clipped to the belt inside the trousers showing above the belt. So when visiting NYC, I don't wear a sgian. I am not discussing the pros and cons of this, or the 2nd Amendment, just that rules vary wildly, sometimes from one city or county to another in the same state. Your best protection against an unpleasant experience is to know the rules.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Geoff Withnell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is a sgian dubh?

Other than being a piece of kit some stick into their right sock, does it have to look a certain way to be a sgian dubh?
    The dubh part seems optional given all the antler horns and other non-black handles or are they preferred to be black handled still?
    Can a sgian dubh be any kind of small knife with or without crossbar or does it have to be without?

Is it okay for a lefthanded person to wear it in their left sock?
    Last edited by Damion; 7th February 17 at 06:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damion View Post
    Traditionally it is placed in the hose of the dominant hand. So yes you can have it in the left hose.
    "Show me a man that would jump from a airplane, I will show you a man that will fight"
    https://utahsamspost1847.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damion View Post
    What is a sgian dubh?

Other than being a piece of kit some stick into their right sock, does it have to look a certain way to be a sgian dubh?
    The dubh part seems optional given all the antler horns and other non-black handles or are they preferred to be black handled still?
    Can a sgian dubh be any kind of small knife with or without crossbar or does it have to be without?

A Sgian Dubh is a fairly specific style of knife with a very distinctive style of blade. As to handles and style of blade of suitable size then I think almost anything goes for daywear. Although the traditional style of blade may be an important point in a legal sense should officialdom take issue with you over what is, or, what isn't appropriate for Scottish National attire. Yes, they can be that petty, if it suited them. For dress occasions black handles are almost standard, often with a silver or gold top, or perhaps silver band holding a semi precious stone in place, a "cairngorm"(smokey quartz) or these days, coloured glass, is traditional on the top.

Jumper is quite correct it matters not which(left or right) hose you carry your SD, as a civilian. No doubt the military have a specific regulation to cover this point. If it helps any, I am am left handed and usually I carry my SD in my left hose. Thus far, in seventy something years I have never had that choice questioned, although I have had the occasional friendly comment of "I didn't know you are left handed."
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 7th February 17 at 09:48 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12