X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For strengthening fur, a piece of cotton cloth - available in every weight from handkerchief to canvas fixed in place with white wood glue - PVA I think it is, but the non waterproof sort, will protect the back to whatever extent is needed, as long as you make the right choice of cotton cloth. You can then draw the shape on the cloth, and if you ever need to remove the backing a wet sponge left on it for a few hours will reliquify the glue and allow the cloth to be removed without damage. Several spongings and it will be as though never glued at all.

The white glue is also useful for sealing the edge of leather or pelt where there is some separation or for making repairs if there is a nick or slice in just the wrong place. Sometimes there can be a softer place in the skin and gluing on muslin or a strip of bandage can even it up.

If you are doubtful about anything then cutting out a tester in sturdy cotton and sewing it together either by tacking, or some sewing machines can do chain stitch which is very easy to remove, then you can make adjustments and retry until perfect.

The cotton could then be kept for future patterns, or you could make a more rigid pattern from it, or some of it could be used for backing very light fur or leather.

Just in case - when cutting fur, I use tiny scissors and work from the inside, slowly snipping through just the skin, so as not to cut the hairs. Once the piece is cut out I then put it down fur side up and trim the very edge to make a fur free seam allowance for sewing
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FullSizeRender(1).jpg

trying to send a photo...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Tarheel and Pleater!

The sporran is indeed lovely - you are on to what I mean, but where his (the maker) has lovely rounded nubs, mine is scratchy. I will eventually get the photo posting sorted so I can clarify. For the time being, I'll relax about it until I get a look at a real one, which might help. I also have the kid's one to go on with, which should teach me a bit about working with fur.

Thanks Pleater re PVA - being an old leatherworker I was thinking contact cement, but yes, PVA would be more stable and less potential for reactivity. I would be delighted if archival permanence was desired )) ..

I will also take your advice re cutting fur - this makes absolute sense.

It's the end of a holiday week here, my nose is back on the stone. I will try and get the photo thing working and will keep updating as I go...
    cheers

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a shooting bag with a big top flap that seemed a bit flimsy, so I laminated the back side using artist's weight linen to firm it up. I used a pva leather glue, and once it all dried I used the same leather dye to color the linen. Worked pretty well.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Todd Bradshaw;1339548]I made a shooting bag with a big top flap that seemed a bit flimsy, so I laminated the back side using artist's weight linen to firm it up. I used a pva leather glue, and once it all dried I used the same leather dye to color the linen. Worked pretty well.

Cool, Todd, thanks, that's a very nice job ... all this is so helpful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm away!

Hi everyone who has offered advice to me.

I didn't get to the kilt shop but duh! we have a local Pipes and Drums! The organiser was very kind, he brought along his three sporrans, including the Club one, which has a cantle arrangement exactly the same as the one I bought. I got to have a good look at the different constructions, 5 minutes and I was away, I just needed to see one in the flesh.

Of course, while I am now confident I can construct one like his, I also have a whole new bunch of questions...

The fur on the formal sporran appeared to have been attached to an already-constructed leather sporran. In a single piece, it covered the face, passed over the front/gusset seam, covered half the width of the gusset, and the edge was hand stitched to the gusset (I think it was also glued). Is this the standard construction?

What I was going to do was make the fur face and fur gusset part of the construction, rather than decoration (which is what I would call the above treatment). Attaching the fur to an already-finished piece may also solve some problems re sewing the fur and getting the fur to curl nicely away from the front seam, but my guts tell me its a short cut. If I'm going to make a sporran I would rather do it properly (the P&D fella said the Club sporrans were "cheap"). But of course if that's the way its done, then that's easier than I thought. . Once again, my problem is that I haven't got many to look at.

Having said that, there is a Scottish Festival here in June, I could examine a few different sporrans then, hopefully I will not run get myself arrested! (They probably wear knickers here, the caber toss is PVC pipe!!!!!). I need to have them finished by early July so I'm a bit reluctant to leave it until then, I will start with the boy's one as that's much simpler.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=bismish;1340059]The fur on the formal sporran appeared to have been attached to an already-constructed leather sporran. In a single piece, it covered the face, passed over the front/gusset seam, covered half the width of the gusset, and the edge was hand stitched to the gusset (I think it was also glued). Is this the standard construction? [QUOTE]

I wouldn't do it that way. To my eye, the "rounding" of the fur over the seam would look too pouch or purse-like. Here's a great, old, video on a hand-made sporran. The basic elements were an invaluable guide https://vimeo.com/21021027 to my sporran making. I didn't use rubber cement until my third - d'uh me. An excellent adhesive to assist in holding things in place whilst stitching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Taskr;1340131][QUOTE=bismish;1340059]The fur on the formal sporran appeared to have been attached to an already-constructed leather sporran. In a single piece, it covered the face, passed over the front/gusset seam, covered half the width of the gusset, and the edge was hand stitched to the gusset (I think it was also glued). Is this the standard construction?

I wouldn't do it that way. To my eye, the "rounding" of the fur over the seam would look too pouch or purse-like. Here's a great, old, video on a hand-made sporran. The basic elements were an invaluable guide https://vimeo.com/21021027 to my sporran making. I didn't use rubber cement until my third - d'uh me. An excellent adhesive to assist in holding things in place whilst stitching.
    Thanks Taskr, you've strengthened my opinion, I've gone back to look at images on the internet (amazing how LITTLE detail you can see when you're looking for something very specific), what I originally thought was stitched I realise now could be molded. I've also seen some wrap-around ones - I agree, I think they look "pouchy". I guess it's a matter of taste, too. I have however found a clear image of a definitely-stitched-and-rolled fur sporran so I will go that way.

I love that video, I suspect that lots of sporrans are based on that man's construction/technique! I wonder if he ever thought that's how his work would be remembered? He was truly a master.

think I will do one or more tests to see how the fur seam rolls. I will just state here that part of my desire to get it "right" is the desire to prevent having the p;ss taken out by my stayed-in-Scotland-when-you-f;;;ing-emigrated-to-the-sunshine cousins!!!

Once again, this community is so helpful and kind

I will put up some photos as I go

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12