X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Nomad is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomak View Post
    Hello and welcome from Southern California.
    Thanks Tomak, definitely jealous of where you live California has some stunning scenery and wildlife, definitely in my top three of places ever visited.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I have to admit I'm a little bit blasé about the rockery. Avebury is nice to visit as the stones surround the village and the road weaves through them, so really accessible to visitors.
    Welcome from Georgia. Amazing to discover Scotland is half the size of my home state. Everywhere I went, gorgeous landscape and warm welcome,
    much like home. But wonderfully different. In Atlanta we get, generally, about 46-48 inches of rain year, but in dumps and many more sun days.

I, too, was more blase than expected about Stonehenge until my third visit. On that occasion I was allowed inside the ring with friends to do some
    assorted weirdness at the request of a Hopi medicine person of my acquaintance; the result was pretty astonishing. Very powerful response from the site, which 'til that moment had seemed dormant, if not dead. I find Avebury more accessible as well, not only physically but energetically. Even with all the damage from the local folk over the centuries. Silbury Hill is also intriguing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome From the coast of Norfolk,

I have relatives living close to you, Ludgershall, Salisbury, Maiden Bradley . Much of the family arrived in the area due to the Army.

I've cycled, Ludgershall - Tidworth - Bulford - larkhill to the stones and remember playing on them 40+ years ago. With you living so close you are probably covered by the original deeds which transferred the site from Cecil Chubb to the Nation which requires locals to be let in for free.

Whilst I like the diversions / planned tunnels of the A360 / A303 I dislike not being able to get up close and personal to the stones.

Last time that way I spent 4 months working at Boscombe down.

To much of myself , welcome you enjoy it here...
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    Welcome From the coast of Norfolk,

I have relatives living close to you, Ludgershall, Salisbury, Maiden Bradley . Much of the family arrived in the area due to the Army.

I've cycled, Ludgershall - Tidworth - Bulford - larkhill to the stones and remember playing on them 40+ years ago. With you living so close you are probably covered by the original deeds which transferred the site from Cecil Chubb to the Nation which requires locals to be let in for free.

Whilst I like the diversions / planned tunnels of the A360 / A303 I dislike not being able to get up close and personal to the stones.

Last time that way I spent 4 months working at Boscombe down.

To much of myself , welcome you enjoy it here...
    Such a small world, boscombe down is about 1/4 mile from my front door and yes the "locals" if I can call myself that still get free entry.

Quite a journey from ludgershal to the stones as a young lad on a bike, well done, must have seemed a big adventure back then. I do a bit of mountain biking over the ranges in the summer, it's lovely to be in unspoilt countryside (if you ignore the bomb and bullet holes) whilst not as beautiful as Scotland at least the hills are manageable.

Nice to meet you, if you are back down this way give me a shout, although I won't be kilted for a little while longer, got a couple of months of trimming myself down before I order my first one - have everything but the kilt now, may have to purchase a 5 yarder before the full works I'm getting for the wedding later in the year.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nomad For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To those who I have not replied to personally, thanks very much for the warm welcome and for the knowledge that a 52 year old never kilted jock is sucking up like a Hoover/vacs/dyson - delete whichever version is not applicable to the type of vacuum used in your locality.

And a very belated happy new year to you all.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nomad For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Nomad! Do you have a family tartan in mind? Galloway perhaps?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
    Welcome Nomad! Do you have a family tartan in mind? Galloway perhaps?
    Was considering Galloway, or even Stewart of Galloway, as a young boy I was lucky enough to be entertained by the stories of the travels of the12th Earl of Galloway and his wife - my mums friend was one of their employees and they let me round around Cumlodden, their family home. I still have a couple of books that they gave me - adult books on British/Scottish wildlife. It was perhaps these tails that prompted me to join the army and the wanderlust is still with me, just limited to holidays nowadays.

However I decided to have a quick look at my ancestry and a quick look brought Kerr (direct clan) and Maclean/Stirling (through Jarvie Septs). I haven't had time to do a thorough search, but a couple of days allowed me to follow Kerr links back to 1700s, therefore my first kilt will be the Kerr Hunting ancient - I like Blues and Greens and it has both.

Thanks for the warm welcome
    Last edited by Nomad; 30th January 17 at 05:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hello to you too

Hello and greetings from Dorchester,Dorset. I visited Stonehenge last summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome from Toronto.
    St. Andrew's Society of Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and a warm welcome from sunny Queensland!
    Regards, Sav.

"The Sun Never Sets on X-Marks!"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast