X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leather sporran cantles

I am wondering what style of leather sporran cantle people like more and is there is a reason. I have made two different styles of leather cantles and found that both have advantages and disadvantages to both styles.

The style I used for the skunk sporran in black is less common. It is easier to sew by hand, is based on the old style functional metal cantles, yet it sometimes needs a stiff leather to help hold the shape.

The more abundant style, shown with the brown sporran below, is more challenging to sew by hand yet has a great look. I think it would be far easier to sew with a machine, and wonder if that is why it is far more common.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1496.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	30106

Name:	DSCN1499.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	30107

Yes, I made both of these sporrans.

As I am thinking about making myself a new hunting sporran for day wear, I am also wondering if different colors of embroidery would stand out in a bad way on a hunting sporran. The idea I had was the battle between the red and white dragons from Welsh legend. I am not sure if the knot-work dragons would look out of place on a sporran if they were sewn with red and white outlines and not just a black outline as the brown sporran above has.

Name:	DSCN1494.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	30108

Information about the dragons can be found at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Dragon

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I want stiffness on the top of mine, I do it with multiple layers of leather. These were only 4 oz. leather, but once you get to about four layers along the top edge you're getting some fairly serious stiffness. I use a combination of hand and machine stitching, but everything that shows on the front side will be hand stitching.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you answered one of your questions, in that a cantle that is easier to sew by machine is easier to mass produce. I think that a thicker leather (that must be shaped prior to mounting) would last longer as a cantle. I also think that a formed (wood or metal) cantle can be covered by a thinner leather. A company that provides quantity will give the buyers a popular design that is easy to make. Uniqueness and quality will draw the buyer to a product viewed as an heirloom.

Bright colors sewn on a dark sporran will be an eye catcher for sure. Will it distract from the kilt? Probably will work well with a solid fabric but not a tartan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure if the knot-work dragons would look out of place on a sporran if they were sewn with red and white outlines and not just a black outline as the brown sporran above has.
    Bright colors sewn on a dark sporran will be an eye catcher for sure. Will it distract from the kilt? Probably will work well with a solid fabric but not a tartan.
    Sometimes less is more. If you are going for the two color embroidery, consider a more muted choice of thread that still conveys the same theme—perhaps a burgundy and gray. It would blend in more with the leather, be less likely to clash with your kilt, and wouldn't scream "I'm embroidered."
    Last edited by MNlad; 10th February 17 at 04:40 PM.
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the input on the colors. I was debating going with a gray that would not stand out as much as white. Red would not stand out that much, but white would.

I have also thought about using metallic threads and and not having the rivets around the dragon knot. If I go with metallic, I thing silver and gold would look better then silver and red. Owain Glyndŵr carried a gold dragon standard, Uther Pendragon is said to have also had a gold dragon (most likely the Roman bronze draco standard), and gold dragons are mentioned in Y Gododdin. Perhaps a braided leather circle around gold and silver dragons? That might be to much for a day sporran.