X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Online Craftsy Course?

First off, I am not intending to insult anyone. As someone who literally lives in the middle of nowhere, I do most of my learning online and have come to appreciate the courses offered on Craftsy.com. I sew a lot but travelling for a week long course is simply impossible with my work schedule since I work shift work. Craftsy has enabled me to take Couture courses with Susan Kahlje, a master couturier on the East Coast, without leaving the comfort of my sewing room...plus I have access to the course forever to replay to my hearts content and at my age with my memory being what it is that is invaluable.

Has anyone (cough, Steve, cough, or Barbara, cough cough) considered taping or replicating their Kilt Kamp for an online format?

Just asking, otherwise I will just wait 2 years until I retire

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to cyxa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think that would be a great idea, having TAoK book is invaluable, but live action snippets filmed at a Kilt Kamp would be outstanding if only to get the feel for how it's all done. Filming tutorials on its own and editing it together is more than I'd ask anyone to do unless they were inclined to do it on their own. But video shot during a camp with accompanying audio of what's being done would be a big help for those who cannot afford the journey to Kamp...

I do have one tutorial wish, a video by the Wizard on his pleating method using a ruler, and lines fanning out from a central point, it seems like genius process but I'm fuzzy on actual execution, maybe a video with a couple different tartans and then folding a few pleats to show how it turns out using that method to set the pleating.
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to GrainReaper For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As some of you know I have a hand cranked circular sock machine and make custom kilt hose. I have begun to work on my video taping and editing skills by making short tutorials on using a CSM.

The idea behind this was to get good enough to do some video tutorials on kiltmaking. Things like the Engineer's way of laying out pleats.

I'm not there yet but getting better. Here is just an example. I don't have a cameraman, fancy lighting or a high end video editing studio. I use a tripod and the camera's onboard mike.

https://youtu.be/6vGsFHWHqNo
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

6. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fascinating Steve, thank you. No wonder an engineer's mind is so handy!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Steve, I now see that a pair of your kilt hose is a screaming deal at your asking price, that is a boatload of work just in the heel/toe portion! I'm going to have to pick up a pair after I square away some other more pressing purchases!

I know I've been eyeing a pair, but I'm moving you up to mid-level eyeball priority!

Now get working on that engineering method to pleating video!!
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree about a Craftsy Course.
    The SK couture class is the ants pants and I learnt so much, which I use all the time.

I think Barb would be best, it's just a matter of her having the time?
    It would create a huge amount of sales if she wished as Craftsy usually sends out the pattern/book when you enroll.

And I think there would be ongoing passive income for her over the years.

Susan K has just held classes in Australia over the last few weeks.... but very very expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an email in to Craftsy to see how one could request a course be added. From what I've seen they appear to have a crew that does the videotaping. Its an option. Or if one wanted to do their own video work, hosting it on youtube and charging for access to the course - is that possible?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and here is Craftsy's response

Emma here at the Craftsy HQ in sunny Denver, CO!

That's a great idea! I think many of our members would love a class on Traditional Kilt making. I'm happy to share that suggestion with our Production Team and ensure your voice is heard. We're always on the lookout for the next great class.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other suggestions. We love hearing from our members because it's your ideas that make the site better and better.

I did give them the link to Kilt Kamp 2017, so who knows? Nothing asked, nothing gained