X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Also have no interest in what modern kiltmakers do."

Quod Erat Demonstrandum.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Michael A For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A View Post
    2. As a novice with only 7 kilts' worth of experience, to make a knife pleat lap right over left requires that *everything* be reversed, as knife pleated kilts are asymmetrical. At the moment this is quite a challenge for me to attempt.
    Once again, I have seen -- and own, and have made -- women's kilts/ kilted skirts/ whatever you wanna call them that open on the left and simply had the reverse pleat on the edge of the outer apron, so the pleats go in the same direction as on a "traditional" men's kilt. So no, you don't have to reverse everything...though having made 4 RevKs thus far, I don't understand what could be so difficult about folding the fabric from the other direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good to know, Dollander. To date, the only Left lapping kilts I have seen have been pleated the other way. I had asked (earlier in this thread) *specifically* about whether I just wrapped the aprons differently or if so had to reverse the position of the deep pleat or inverted pleat. The answers I received begged the question, or otherwise focused on peripheral concerns about the kilt being a complex garment etc, which I took to be dissembling, or otherwise just said to put it to the right side anyway. So that is why I asked other kilt makers in Scotland and elsewhere, and also my wife whether she minded.

On the subject of just pleating in the opposite direction, at the moment I am mostly following TAoK, which specifically addresses right-handed people making kilts a certain way, giving specific directions on which way to place it on the desk, on my knee, etc. This is *very* helpful for novices who don't otherwise have input into different techniques at early stages. But when it comes to reversing the entire construction, as I had perceived I would have to have done in the absence of advice suggesting that that would not be necessary, a lot more experience would be required for it to just come naturally.

Without TAoK, kilt making is indeed an arcane art, one that would be nigh on impossible to learn except by travelling to Edinburgh for a short course (I did't include Kilt Kamp, as that is in a way an extension of TAoK anyway). Barb and Elsie have done the art a very great service indeed. TAoK is an outstanding launch pad for anyone who might go on to subsequently alter designs to their own tastes.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    Good job Michael, and tell your wife she looks great in her kilt!
    (and actually, I think #6 has plenty of bearing on the discussion, which is quite obvious to most)
    Mr. Bradshaw, while I realize that the original post that started this thread from Michael was concerning specific construction details, my post was about the differences in male and female clothing. It was was indeed a side note which no one else may be interested in. That said, #6 has no bearing on my post. As a matter of fact, what does it matter if I have made 0, 1, or 100 kilts? You seem to assume that unless a person actually does a thing he has no right to comment upon that thing. I do not make automobiles, planes, scuba gear, phones but use and talk about them all. Perhaps you are different

Regards
    Insperata Floruit! - Flourished Unexpectedly!

KABOOM; Kilted Christians; Kilted In Carolina; Matt Newsome Kilt Owners Group; R Kilts are Awesome; SEKS - The Great Southeastern Kilt Society; The Order of the Dandelion

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Balaamsass51 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A View Post
    "Also have no interest in what modern kiltmakers do."

Quod Erat Demonstrandum.
    Since my post was a comment on differences in male and female clothing (such as the button difference referenced before) and not a comment on how kilts/skirts/beanbag chairs or anything else may be made today. I indeed have no interest in what modern kiltmakers do. Therefore whether I myself have made any kilts is immaterial.

Regards
    Insperata Floruit! - Flourished Unexpectedly!

KABOOM; Kilted Christians; Kilted In Carolina; Matt Newsome Kilt Owners Group; R Kilts are Awesome; SEKS - The Great Southeastern Kilt Society; The Order of the Dandelion

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Balaamsass (whatever your actual name is) You are certainly welcome to your opinions, but I found your posts to be rude. Michael has obviously put a lot of thought and effort into this project. In my opinion, the end result looks excellent (also the opinion of my wife - who has made some of the nicest ladies tartan garments you will find on this site, or any other) regardless of which side it closes on. I think step #1 in the discussion should be to acknowledge that fact. I seriously doubt that anybody is going to think that gal is a cross-dresser because of which side her kilt/skirt or whatever closes on.

I do firmly believe that those of us who do make some of our own gear, have a better idea of what it takes to do so, and have a different outlook on it than those who are just users of it. It reminds me of the old saying about artists and musicians "Those who have the talent create things. Those who don't become critics." On the internet, where folks can hide behind made-up nicknames, it's worse than ever.

"Perhaps I'm different?" - You can bet your bippy I am!

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calm down, folks. The topic is a good one. Stay on the subject and out of the schoolyard.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree

For the most part the comments on this site are very respectful of each others opinions......it's what makes this site so enjoyable.....there are times though that some people consider themselves the "Alpha" of the herd and they feel they must have the last word....... that makes for comments that are less enjoyed.......just sayin'.... and only in my opinion

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    there are times though that some people consider themselves the "Alpha" of the herd and they feel they must have the last word
    Well, there is only one Alpha in this herd -

And he is saying that if those on this thread do not feel that they can conduct themselves politely, and with respect for their fellow members, from this 'shot across the bow' onward, I will flag this myself and quote -

Rule #2
    –-We believe in fostering polite discussion. Posts which provoke quarrels, escalate contention, or are hostile or insulting, are subject to removal.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I've been AWOL (sold house, have to pack & move .... all my Tartan & Kilts are boxed up)

Michael - the kilt is STUNNING! And your wife looks fantastic, I'm tempted to try a heel with an above knee Kilt.

The 'B' person - whatevaaaaa....

Michael - 7 Hand made Kilts is a lot of experience in my humble opinion and your skills are wonderous

Ahem - can I be the Alpha? Just askin'?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast