X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also...
    Go on the hunt for fun, funky buckles. There are some great ones around and there's no rule that says you have to have plain ones.
    It's a lovely feminine touch and looks great.
    Also I've found that kilt pins aren't ususlly necessary on a short kilt. A cute brooch or similar is a fun touch but be careful it's not to heavy as it pulls everything skewiff

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look to Lady Grey's photos for a woman's ability to wear a kilt. She offers views of solid design, style and whimsy. She presents my opinion of new representations to old ideas.

I must also mention Angie Bodine's ability to "spark and dazzle" with her collection and sense of fashion.
    Last edited by Tarheel; 17th February 17 at 06:00 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    Blah to the Tartan Skirt info
    She wants a short kilt.... make it traditionally - make a kilt!
    This. Skirts don't move the same.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anyone interested, here's my post on a kilt for a woman that Lady Gray mention:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...t-woman-75461/
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My knowledge of kilts is, I suspect, coloured by the impact of the two world wars here in the UK. Possibly other people were influenced too

There was rationing of fabrics and clothing.
    As the years wore on and garments wore out there was a real shortage of warm sturdy garments. Women used anything they could find to convert into garments, clothes rescued from dressing up boxes, amateur dramatic costumes - and there were kilts. As a kilt with the pleats cut out would not be of much use if taken apart, most were probably worn as they were.

I had kilts as a child, and they were fastened on the right - but that was considered normal.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the kilt I made for my wife. I took three inches off the top (including making a 1 inch rather than 2 inch rise) and two inches off the knee. It was a challenge to pleat, as the circumference around the iliac crests was 35 inches, with a 41 seat. Her natural waist is 27 inches (but I was ripping it to the 35 inch mark). I have since added another 1/2 inch to the flare on the left side of the apron and re-pressed, as it was kicking out too much.

It worked out okay but in future I would use either 11Oz Strathmore (like I did for the kids) or if 13Oz, the smoother House of Edgar rather than Strathmore. I had originally tried to order 11Oz Sutherland but that was back ordered, so she settled for a different grandmother's tartan (Buchanan, from the Cranna family) in the only fabric I could get. I really don't like the way 13Oz Strathmore fights back, as it were.

]
    Last edited by Michael A; 10th April 17 at 06:39 PM.

7. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Michael A For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW. At several highland games, where we run the COSCA/STA tent, we have had the opportunity to speak with more than one clan chief from Scotland on their first visit to America. They have told us they they were puzzled/not pleased with seeing women in kilts instead of skirts. Flapped on the right and not the leftt. We have explained to them that we are just happy that they are doing something to show Scottish influence.

Personally I think that having a man wear a kilt flapped on the left or having a women wearing a tartan skirt flapped on the right is cross-dressing and should be avoided. I realize that this is America and you cannot make anyone do anything. Further it is my opinion that it is just pure cussed laziness selling kilts to women avoiding expenses occurred in manufacturing. Easier for a vendor at a games to sell everyone a kilt than make a different product.
    Insperata Floruit! - Flourished Unexpectedly!

KABOOM; Kilted Christians; Kilted In Carolina; Matt Newsome Kilt Owners Group; R Kilts are Awesome; SEKS - The Great Southeastern Kilt Society; The Order of the Dandelion

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Balaamsass51 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balaamsass51 View Post
    FWIW. At several highland games, where we run the COSCA/STA tent, we have had the opportunity to speak with more than one clan chief from Scotland on their first visit to America. They have told us they they were puzzled/not pleased with seeing women in kilts instead of skirts. Flapped on the right and not the leftt. We have explained to them that we are just happy that they are doing something to show Scottish influence.

Personally I think that having a man wear a kilt flapped on the left or having a women wearing a tartan skirt flapped on the right is cross-dressing and should be avoided. I realize that this is America and you cannot make anyone do anything. Further it is my opinion that it is just pure cussed laziness selling kilts to women avoiding expenses occurred in manufacturing. Easier for a vendor at a games to sell everyone a kilt than make a different product.
    Sir,

This is not America. This is Australia. Clan chiefs ejected my ancestors from their ancestral land in the 1850s, so please tell me how much I should respect their descendants' views on sartorial fashion. Aristocrats do not own a culture.

1. Several noted Scottish kiltmakers including but not limited to 21st Century Kilts make kilts with left over right aprons for women. I am a novice DIY "apprentice" (not really, I am on my own) hobby kiltmaker as well as a full-time anaesthesiologist. I inquired with a number of experienced kiltmakers, one very well-known on this forum, and another based in Edinburgh with 30 years' experience. I guarantee you have seen at least one of the latter's kilts. They remarked that Left or Right was an arbitrary and somewhat archaic Victorian/Edwardian innovation, given that women didn't wear kilts at all before that.

Such women who wear pleated tartan skirts to the ankles (or billie skirts/miniskirts) are also practising an anachronism if they think they are doing anything traditional.

21st Century Kilts for ladies:

2. As a novice with only 7 kilts' worth of experience, to make a knife pleat lap right over left requires that *everything* be reversed, as knife pleated kilts are asymmetrical. At the moment this is quite a challenge for me to attempt.

3. A traditional box pleated or Kingussie pleated kilt can be lapped right over left. Ask any woman if her bum looks big in a box pleat, then stand well back. I'll fetch the popcorn. A Kingussie, on the other other hand, is one I have not yet attempted, as I have to adapt the box pleat design to fold the pleats the different ways.

4. I adapted the design for my wife to make it quite dissimilar to a gent's kilt. The waist is very low-riding. The selvedge is well above the knee. If a man wore it, it would look like a lady's skirt - funny that. My daughters' were made a little longer as they will grow into them, at which point they will be even further up the knee.

5. I make garments, not anachronistic historical re-enactment costumes. The kilt pictured was tailor-made by me for - and only for - my wife. No "cussed laziness" was involved.

6. Precisely how many kilts have you made?
    Last edited by Michael A; 11th April 17 at 06:34 AM.

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Michael A For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My My. Such a response for such a short observation on my part.

Respect or do not respect the sartorial views of anybody that floats your boat. Obviously you don'y respect mine. No skin off my nose.

Re point 1 - Also have no interest on what modern kilt makers do.
    Your points 2,3,4 do not pertain to my post.
    Re point 5 - You had made up what you specifically wanted. I referred to mass manufacturers who sell what are known to be male clothing to women when perfectly fine garments for women are obtainable.
    6 of course has no bearing on the discussion at all. Though I wonder why your limited experience makes what you say correct and without error?

I take it that you have no problems with the buttons on your shirts being different than on a blouse.

Going back to 1 for a moment, I find it interesting that you use the word "skirt" several times in place of "kilt".

Regards
    Insperata Floruit! - Flourished Unexpectedly!

KABOOM; Kilted Christians; Kilted In Carolina; Matt Newsome Kilt Owners Group; R Kilts are Awesome; SEKS - The Great Southeastern Kilt Society; The Order of the Dandelion

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job Michael, and tell your wife she looks great in her kilt!
    (and actually, I think #6 has plenty of bearing on the discussion, which is quite obvious to most)
    Last edited by Todd Bradshaw; 11th April 17 at 11:08 AM.

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast