X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Choosing an outfit for a kayaking guide interview?

Hey everybody,
    I have a question about proper interview attire for a job this Saturday. I've always dressed exceptionally well for interviews (retail and veterinary) but my first experience with this position on Saturday is doubling as training, as well as a kayaking trip. I live in a coastal area now and the weather is expected to be 71 degrees.
    I applied for this job via Craigslist where they described the perfect candidate as... "Need To Be Personable, Very Easy Going and Adaptable. "
    My email stated, "We are having a guide training session this Saturday at xxx. We will go over details of the job and then take the kayaks out for an example of our 2 hour river tour."
    I do have a tattoo on my forearm which I would prefer to cover, at least to some degree just so that everyone isn't trying to read it day 1. I was considering wearing a baseball tee from the dog training business that I ran previously, but I'm afraid that would be too casual. I hunted everywhere for a vented fishing type button down today, but they were few and far between, on top of being $$$ - plus I don't want to be the only one dressed up for a kayaking trip. I'm tempted to wear a baseball tee or a long sleeve dri-fit tee, shorts and tevas, or cargo pants and north face boots, as it seems most appropriate for a 2 hour kayaking trip, but it just feels unnatural. The pictures on their facebook show the staff as wearing very relaxed clothing while working. Advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me, I'd probably do something along the lines of outdoorsy dressed up - a nice button down and pants in the style of any of the brands you'd find in a place like REI. Definitley no tee, shorts, cargo pants, or sandals. Bring a day pack or bag with something to change into for going out on the water.
    Cheers!
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shirt wise, Columbia has some nice vented types. If you happen to be near an outlet store they may have some bargains this weekend.
    I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots. Einstein (maybe)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having spent several decades in the canoe and kayak biz, if I told folks that we were going kayaking as part of a job interview, I would expect my potential employees to come dressed for that activity. At around 70 degrees, this would likely mean shorts, and unless going into potentially nasty conditions, I usually paddle in a polo shirt (looks better than a T-shirt) or a thin fleece long sleeve pullover in good weather. Unless they're nuts, they will provide you with a good life jacket to go over it and they're pretty warm.

Retail sales people and instructors/guides in this business dress pretty casually, though that doesn't mean old, beat up clothes, so casual but reasonably neat would probably be the best bet. If they wanted you to bring a change of clothing for paddling, I would hope they would have told you ahead of time.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

cck

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."