X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Show us your Culloden tartan reweave pics

Quite a few XMarkers took some of the 1746 Culloden cloth from me. Very keen to see the various ways it was made up. Show us your pics please.
    Last edited by figheadair; 5th March 17 at 10:01 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be tickled to post a pic of a Culloden kilt, but my yardage lies folded on a shelf. I've got some Agent Orange health issues that are playing havoc with my waistline. No new kilts for me until I can get that under control. Be assured there will be pics from Kansas -- someday.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benning Boy,
    Get your house (health) in order before inviting guests in to rummage your closet. We will wait on our side of the screen and give nothing but prayers from here to your recovery.

Then! we want to hear plans for your strip of cloth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Quite a few XMarkers took some of the 1746 Culloden cloth from me. Very keen to see the various ways it was made up. Show us your pics please.
    Might I suggest that your present title be amended? I thought this thread would be about the battle, not the cloth you wove.
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhockin View Post
    Might I suggest that your present title be amended? I thought this thread would be about the battle, not the cloth you wove.
    Done. I'd thought posting jn the Tartan place would be self-explanatory. Hopefully the amended title removes any doubt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Peter - This photo (which I hope comes through) is of the 4 yd box-pleat kilt that Matt Newsome made for me from the 16oz "Old Culloden" tartan that I got from you. I also got five yards of 11oz "Old Culloden" cloth from you with a view to making a replica of the original mid-18th c. jacket for reenacting purposes, but that project has not materialized (yet) due to my not finding a seamstress/tailor that specializes in 18th c. clothing construction. I don't sew that well, so this may take some time.

N.B. ~ Photo was copied from the New House Highland gallery, since I don't have any photos at home.

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Orvis For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark Hutter, before he started working at CW was quite enamored with Scottish clothing, I think his tailoring business/sutlerly had "Highland" in the title. Have you spoken with him, something made outside of his day job, so its affordable LOL.

Actually anyone there in the tailor shop would be a good choice. Brian Kennedy is near DC, or Michael Ramsey, who is there in the Williamsburg area, but I don't know exactly what his position, if any, is at CW. I know that's not exactly NOVA, but it is the Mecca of the 18th Century world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    Mark Hutter, before he started working at CW was quite enamored with Scottish clothing, I think his tailoring business/sutlerly had "Highland" in the title. Have you spoken with him, something made outside of his day job, so its affordable LOL.

Actually anyone there in the tailor shop would be a good choice. Brian Kennedy is near DC, or Michael Ramsey, who is there in the Williamsburg area, but I don't know exactly what his position, if any, is at CW. I know that's not exactly NOVA, but it is the Mecca of the 18th Century world.
    Thanks, Luke!

Do you have links for any of these craftsmen? If so, you can send them in an IM and I will be much obliged!

Slainte mhath!
    Gerry

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Orvis For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Orvis View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011 - New 'Old Culloden' Kilt - 21 Nov 2011.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	30322
    Hi Peter - This photo (which I hope comes through) is of the 4 yd box-pleat kilt that Matt Newsome made for me from the 16oz "Old Culloden" tartan that I got from you. I also got five yards of 11oz "Old Culloden" cloth from you with a view to making a replica of the original mid-18th c. jacket for reenacting purposes, but that project has not materialized (yet) due to my not finding a seamstress/tailor that specializes in 18th c. clothing construction. I don't sew that well, so this may take some time.

N.B. ~ Photo was copied from the New House Highland gallery, since I don't have any photos at home.
    Very nice Gerry. This is the first kilt in this setting that I've actually seen being worn.