X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it ok...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it ok...

Hello all. I am a noob in the kilted world and i am trying to get everything in order. I purchased my first (only one at this time) kilt in black watch. I have ecru, black, oatmeal and bottle green hose. A new charcoal grey waistcoat, black shoes, and black sporran.

My question- is it ok or acceptable to go out without a jacket? I have not purchased one yet but am planning on a charcoal grey tweed. Until that day comes- my outfit will be very casual (polos/ tshirts), sweater, or button up and tie, or button up/ tie and waistcoat.

I wont be going to any functions that are black tie but more like dinner dayes with the wife. I want to look good and be comfortable but at the same time i want to be a good kilted example.

I have thumbed through so many threads but none really address my question. I also looked at the 1 kilt 10 looks thread.
    Any guidance would be appreciated!

And yes i am trying to fight the matchy matchy look! But the bottle green gose look great with the black watch!

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best advice I can give is to treat the kilt as just how you cover your lower half. If the occasion would require a jacket with trousers, wear a jacket with your kilt. If not, don't worry about it.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

3. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Geoff Withnell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bottle green are a great choice for BW and the jacket question is easy: if you would wear nice slacks to the event without a jacket, then you can wear the kilt without a jacket.

Congratulations and enjoy!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say with Black Watch the bottle green hose will work a treat. As for wearing the kilt without a jacket, we all work with what we have, a dress shirt and jumper look wonderful with the kilt so no problem there.

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've worn only a vest, but with a tie. Just didn't like the look of the vest over an open collar. Personal preference.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember, the kilt itself is not a uniform. It can be worn as part of a uniform but it can also be worn just as normal clothing.

Choose the accessories you wear with your kilt to suit the occasion. If you would normally wear an open neck shirt for going to dinner then wear the same going to dinner in your kilt.

If you would normally wear a vest and tie then that is what you would also wear with your kilt.

In fact think of the kilt as the accessory and the rest as normal clothes and you should be OK. i.e "I sometimes wear a kilt with these shoes."

I have posted this photo before. This is how I dress almost everyday.

I am not trying to match anything. My shirt is coordinated with my hose but there is no brown in this Tartan. And it works.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 23rd February 17 at 10:54 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

11. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have had some wonderful basic advice in the posts above and anything that I might have said on that subject has frankly already been said.

As you are starting with the basics then it is as well for you to start the basic understanding of kilt attire and its roots. Many on this website still struggle with this, so its just not you I am talking to.

" Saxon attire"------jeans, trousers, sports jackets, blazers, dinner jackets(tux) and so on-------is based on very different traditions to Highland Scots kilt traditions and in consequence there are not exact dress equivalents. Close maybe, exact sometimes and sometimes non existent as in the case of tweed day jackets. Added to the complications are new factors brought about mainly by the internet and trans Atlantic/trans world interpretations, cultures, misinformation based on wishful thinking and basic climate considerations to consider too.

Let us take the classic stumbling block of tweed day jackets. For those brought up, as most in the western world are, with "saxon" attire conventions the tweed jacket means a sports jacket and the thought that, as such, it can be worn to basically smart but informal events.

Not so with Highland kilt attire! In fact, there is no sports jacket equivalent with Highland Scots kilt attire, although in these days of more casual clothing thinking a pullover/jumper/sweater fits the bill well. Therefore a tweed jacket in kilt terms is equivalent to a suit and is happily and correctly worn to weddings, funerals, smart dinners with the wife, smart drinks do's and anywhere where a lounge/business suit would be worn-----in Highland Scotland in particular and on occasion in Scotland in general. I think you can see from this, the more relaxed international dress codes that are based on a false premise as far as kilt attire is concerned, are bound to have difficulty with this and is not helping with making correct kilt attire dressing considerations for those of you outwith Scotland.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 24th February 17 at 06:41 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

13. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your wonderful feedback!
    Yesterday i tried different combinations: different color hose, different color shirts, tie and no tie, waistcoat and no waistcoat.
    Father Bill and McMurdo- the bottle green are by far my favorite with the black watch!
    Taskr- i am with you- the vest looks best and is more comfortable with a tie. I didnt care for an open collar with the vest.
    Steve- your style is awesome. I like the long sleeved shirt with no tie and is a very comfortable way to dress day to day for me.

My wife thinks a black waistcoat would be better than the charcoal grey but i think that would be too dark. But i can see certain situations where that would be acceptable.

I will be getting a jacket to have for the more formal settings i find myself- but for 99% of the places i go- the suggestions all of you provided will fit perfectly!
    Jock Scot- thank you for that last paragrah in your response. Made perfect sense and is great for learning when and where wearing a tweed jacket would be a great choice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Colorado. There are a lot of solo pipers that wear a vest without a jacket unless it is a more formal event.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would add that, at least in my neck of the woods, black hose are really only for funerals. Although I have been to a few events where younger lads were wearing them, particularly if they are wearing a more modern style of kilt attire - grey tartan, or a black shirt, modern cut dark jacket, casual attire, etc

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast