X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoff View Post
    On the question of kilt vs. trousers; my 1894 tailor's cutting manual on trousers includes the kilt. At that time tailors considered them to be pretty much the same sort of garment. So I agree with the comment to wear what ever you would with trousers with a kilt. The kilt is just another way to cover your neither regions.

Chrisoph
    Hello Christoph, I was wondering if you've considered posting pictures of your 1894 tailor's cutting manual, or have done so already in another thread? As someone interested in learning to create my own kilt what you mentioned sounds fascinating. Granted, it's probably the 1894 version of a technical stereo manual, so anyone outside of a professional tailor would have a hard time understanding... but still
    McVeigh Sept of Clan MacLean

Stoff is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonMc View Post
    Hello Christoph, I was wondering if you've considered posting pictures of your 1894 tailor's cutting manual, or have done so already in another thread? As someone interested in learning to create my own kilt what you mentioned sounds fascinating. Granted, it's probably the 1894 version of a technical stereo manual, so anyone outside of a professional tailor would have a hard time understanding... but still
    I think that I may have posted this info in another thread but, here goes.

I hope that this information is of use.

Christoph

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Cutters' Practical Guides by W.D.F. Vincent were not just one book but 13 volumes covering just about every aspect of making garments.

I downloaded and printed Vol 14 which covers Trousers, Breeches & Knickers and the added chapters which cover The Cutting & Making of Highland Kilts, Leggings, Gaiters &c.

Try doing a search and you can find it and print a copy. But notice that the complete instruction for a kilt in the guide are just over one page. Barb's TAoK is 142 pages.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 20th April 17 at 03:55 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not for me

I personally am not a fan of tats. I do admit that I occasionally admire some that are well done.
    Do you really need another thing the police can identify you by? We all have our own ideas of whats appropriate to wear with our kilts.
    After spending considerable money for mine I don't see the point in being anything less than well dressed all the time. Can't quite see distracting from it with a T shirt character, no matter how well revered. This is one of those arguments no one can win.
    Be seeing you.

Stoff is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    The Cutters' Practical Guides by W.D.F. Vincent were not just one book but 13 volumes covering just about every aspect of making garments.

I downloaded and printed Vol 14 which covers Trousers, Breeches & Knickers and the added chapters which cover The Cutting & Making of Highland Kilts, Leggings, Gaiters &c.

Try doing a search and you can find it and print a copy. But notice that the complete instruction for a kilt in the guide are just over one page. Barb's TAoK is 142 pages.
    I am quite interested in your data find and will be looking at it. In the addition that I have "Trousers" is volume 3. and volume 13 (the last book that I have) is "Military".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both so much! Fascinating stuff.
    McVeigh Sept of Clan MacLean

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWilson View Post
    Attachment 30282

This is my "around the house" kilt and not one I'd wear out, the company said as a sports kilt it can be worn on the hip but idk.

But that's the shirt.
    Great shirt! The art seems to compliment the kilt...or maybe it's the other way around.
    "The fun of a kilt is to walk, not to sit"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May I ask why we even started discussing tattoos? The question was about the shirt.

I say it's fine. I wear t-shirts with kilts all the time and don't own a shirt I wouldn't wear with the kilt. The question is wear it to what? If I'm going to something casual to a casual event, then I'm good to go with the t-shirt. Generally, using your kilt like any lower body garment is fine.
    Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWilson View Post
    So I have this White short sleeved DR Who Shirt . . . huge fan of Dr. Who."

I want to wear it with my kilt.

Is that in poor taste?

Definitely not. I mean I wouldn't wear it for a black tie dinner, but for casual any printed t shirt of choice is good.

Alan

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456