X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taskr View Post
    The kiltie is the fringe tassel at the base of the laces which apparently are designed to keep logging spoil from getting up under your laces. Now, why is that item called a kiltie? No idea
    Thanks. I may look into some longer -- thus more practical -- kilties for my own boots, which see non-trivial levels of chainsaw dust when we run the stove hard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Because of the little fringed tabs that look like kilt pleats.

The tab used to be a long tongue that folded back to protect the laces from getting snagged when you walk. Today the 'kiltie' tab is just an extra piece with the laced holding it in place. It is just for looks today.

In shoe parlance this would be called a Brogued (the hole pattern is called broguing) Blucher (This means that the bottom of the laces are open) with kiltie tongue. (it is one long piece that folds over and covers the laces)

At one time before Ghillie brogues this was the standard day wear shoe with the kilt. I have met many older guys who still prefer this type of shoe with their kilts.
    Interesting, I prefer them over Ghillies too. I just wear my wing tips.
    Last edited by Walkman; 9th March 17 at 05:06 PM.
    Walkman

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Jock
    I'm a little bit in love with those shoes! Sigh I better not go looking for them I don't need more footwear.
    However the flap to stop bits of 'stuff' is brilliant, I haven't seen that before. It's rather apt as I went wandering in a paddock on a job site the other day to get a picture with a thistle. I came out covered in clingy, spiky, ouchy 'stuff' and spent a while picking it carefully off my boot laces and pants.
    - Only to find the Thistle thread closed

Are the Kilttie & Looger boots Steel Capped?
    They are rather fabulous as well (and stop I really don't need more boots or shoes... but I could wear them at work and with kilts that makes it practical doesn't it????)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I use these, from Hoggs of Fife regularly, as heavy duty "4wd" shoes and no, the flaps are not an affectation, they are a very useful part of keeping one's feet drier and free of bits of heather and stuff finding their way into the shoe.
    Excuse me Jock, but do you remember the model name for this shoe? My online perusal of Hoggs and Fife aren't turning these up.
    McVeigh Sept of Clan MacLean

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are called Hoggs "Hill Shoe".I do know that in recent years Hoggs have slimmed down their range, but I have no idea if the "Hill Shoe" is still available. I have always found Hoggs very approachable so perhaps an inquisitive email to them, might shed some light on the matter?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the Hoggs of Fife Hill shoe here

https://www.fifecountry.co.uk/footwe...hill-shoe-1270

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    They are rather fabulous as well (and stop I really don't need more boots or shoes... but I could wear them at work and with kilts that makes it practical doesn't it????)
    My Georgia (the company brand) logger (style) boots are not steel toed but are available with that option. They also come in varied heights and lacing openings (some eyes and hooks, some all eyes, some eyes and metal loops, etc.)

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    I know this question was addressed to Jock, but if I may jump in for a moment:

In the logging capitol of Christendom (Pacific NW U.S.A. and S.E. Canada), logging boots (and many other work boots) are available with leather toes, steel toe boxes, or fiber safety toes.

The fiber toes are safety-rated, and less chilly in the winter than good ol' steel. Also, they're said to reduce crushing injuries. When steel gets mashed onto your foot, it _stays_ mashed on.

Cheers,

Jack

P.S. My most recent clompers came from Nick's Boots in Spokane, WA (http://nicksboots.com/). White's / Hathorn (http://www.whitesboots.com) is the more famous brand there and has fancier options, but I tend to prefer Nick's. Both have off-the-shelf as well as custom-built options, and either will keep your feet's precise dimensions on file until you die. Have fun!
    Last edited by Taffy Jack; 10th March 17 at 08:59 PM. Reason: adding info

11. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Taffy Jack For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

saved my toes

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Jack View Post
    I know this question was addressed to Jock, but if I may jump in for a moment:

In the logging capitol of Christendom (Pacific NW U.S.A. and S.E. Canada), logging boots (and many other work boots) are available with leather toes, steel toe boxes, or fiber safety toes.

The fiber toes are safety-rated, and less chilly in the winter than good ol' steel. Also, they're said to reduce crushing injuries. When steel gets mashed onto your foot, it _stays_ mashed on.

Cheers,

Jack
    When I worked in the bush and shops in the logging industry here on Vancouver Island, It was a mandatory that work boots have steel toes and I'm sure my toes were saved countless times because of it but like Taffy Jack says once the steel gets crushed it stays crushed......it's good to hear that fiber safety toes are an option

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I found the Hoggs of Fife Hill shoe here

https://www.fifecountry.co.uk/footwe...hill-shoe-1270
    "This is currently unavailable"

Well, dang. Those look the business, too. Thanks for the finding.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast