X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb website Burnetts and Struth website Kilt Society website
The Scottish Trading Company Xmarks advertising information MacGregor and MacDuff Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making your own kilt. Where to start?

Good afternoon,

My Mother is ambitious to try and make her first men's kilt. In your opinion, what is the easiest style of kilt to start with? For example, a 4-yard box pleat? Perhaps a 5 yard-knife pleat? Your feedback on a basic, introductory kilt style for beginners would be appreciated.

Warm regards,

Kris

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is the old addage - "If you want to break the rules, the first thing you must do is know what the rules are."

This is just as true in kilt making as anywhere else.

So contact Barb Tewksbury at www.celticdragonpress.com and get yourself a copy of "The Art of Kiltmaking".

Even if you want, or choose, to make a different type of kilt this book will give you the understanding of the rules which you can choose to break if you wish.

There really is a very big difference between including a lining because a traditional kilt has a lining, and knowing what is hidden behind that lining and why.
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 3rd March 17 at 08:29 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

3. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, I give a nod of agreement to the wizard.

My own experience on a 'first kilt' was an XKilt. I can say it's simple now, but it wasn't at the start since I'd never made one. The XKilt experience aided understanding of some of the important basics, among them the concepts of splits, the deep pleats at the apron and precision in measuring and stitching (even though by machine). Barb's 'the art of kiltmaking' soon followed along with the box pleat suppliment. I've been practicing stitching with pieces of tartan.

Someone with sewing experience likely doesn't need the first steps I took, but you'll find lots of agreement that TAOK is not to be overlooked when one is determined to make their kilt.