X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Footwear suggestions

Sunday, my Scottish friend complemented me on my kilt attire...but she took exception with my shoes. I was wearing brown Birkenstock shoes (not sandals).

I've worn these Birks before with kilts; I think they look good. I also wear Vasque hiking boots and Tevas sandals when kilted. I wear cowboy boots with jeans.

Maybe by now you're getting the picture that my footwear choices are pretty casual (as I am). The wingtip or brogue choices that many wear with style aren't really me.

Any suggestions for kilt footwear that might strike a balance between what I normally wear and dressier shoes? Photos or links would be great.

Thanks, Rabble

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean a shoe like the navarino? Looks like a nice, casual shoe to me. Not that different to the causally kilted style I wear mostly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taskr View Post
    You mean a shoe like the navarino? Looks like a nice, casual shoe to me. Not that different to the causally kilted style I wear mostly.
    The Navarino is a good looking shoe - black, simple, and I'm sure has the Birk comfort. A good possibility. I may have a couple of gulps at the price. But you figure you can prorate a Birk over many years. Thanks for pointing it out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which Birkenstock are you wearing with your kilt? The only one I could find online was the Navarino.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your friend insist on footwear for comfort or for expectation? With the possible "devil-net" images of laced brogues being the standard while being kilted, many think that is the only choice. There is also a case where "wingtips for example" are the only type of shoe worn while kilted, because of a lifetime of being taught, "that is just how it is done". Without confronting her preferences, suggest that your shoes match the level of comfort that the kilt provides. It often happens that one must defend every aspect of their ensemble against the views of the informed as well as the ignorant of being kilted.

I find the event or circumstance when I am kilted, usually dictates my footwear choice. I find wood chips are uncomfortable in wing tips and my boots don't shine enough to compliment a party when I am kilted with jacket, vest and tie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoes I ware with my kilt.

Doc martin 1490 made in England, they have the better toe box shape. (Pub wear , beard competitions and festivals)
    Various colors of Chuck Taylor's (out and about town)
    And wing tips for dress (more formal)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taskr View Post
    Which Birkenstock are you wearing with your kilt? The only one I could find online was the Navarino.
    I wear the London. It's like a slide but with a back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighPlainsFergus View Post
    I wear the London. It's like a slide but with a back.
    Is this the shoe?

birkenstock-london-black-leather-clogs-shoes-with-buckle-women-s-size-38-7-9ee8fa16cac14a35ff0b4.jpg
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 16th March 17 at 04:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Only brown.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my Dr. Marten Boanil Brush Brogues. Once broken in, they've become comfortable enough to wear to somewhat casual events. But I'll wear my hiking boots if I'm headed to the woods, or the park.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast