X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opinions on the Piper Flex Argyll Jacket?

I'm very interested in hearing some opinions on the Piper Flex Argyll Jacket. Does the difference in construction do all that it claims to do? If one were to wear it for events other than piping, could it still pass as a standard Argyll jacket or are there noticeable differences?
    "Twelve Highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion" - Scottish Proverb

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Completely off topic Willie, sorry! I have just noticed your "signature" below your post. You may be interested to know that the proverb that you quote is based on fact! This cairn was erected to mark the event, not far from where I stay.

Last edited by Jock Scot; 18th March 17 at 04:57 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    I'm very interested in hearing some opinions on the Piper Flex Argyll Jacket. Does the difference in construction do all that it claims to do? If one were to wear it for events other than piping, could it still pass as a standard Argyll jacket or are there noticeable differences?
    Yes, it does do all it says and yes, it can still be worn for other events.

What it does:

1. Smaller arm holes with the bottom seam sewn higher on the jacket body. This gives more range of motion to your arms without the shoulder lifting up. When you have a pipe bag tucked under your arm, it can be tucked higher and more comfortably.

2. The back panels on the jacket are not pure wool. They're a wool lycra blend, cut on the bias. This gives you up to 2" of flex (hence the name) in the back panels. Real world example - try to touch your elbows in front of your body. The back of the jacket would flex with your stretching.

3. The half back measurement on the jacket is slightly bigger than standard. Again, it gives you a bit more room across the back and helps you to flex a bit easier.

4. The chain button closure in front keeps the jacket closed "ish". In a regular Argyll, you wouldn't button the front and the side of the jacket where you held your pipe bag would open and 'dangle'. If you DID button your standard Argyll, it would restrict your range of motion trying to hold your bag under your arm. The Piper Flex has a chain closure to sort of "split the difference". It keeps the front of the jacket looking good (closed), but allows a bit of flexibility for greater motion.

I hope this info helps!

Here's a link to the Piper Flex on our site: https://www.usakilts.com/piper-flex-jacket.html

Side note... we've done TWEED Piper Cut (not flex) jackets for different pipe bands. Even without the flex part across the back, the tighter arm holes, chain closure and increase half back really makes a difference in comfort while trying to play (as reported by the bands).

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to RockyR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I happen to own one of Rocky's Piper Flex Argyll jackets. I've worn it for piping. I've worn it to black tie events.

Works brilliantly for both!

If I didn't already own one, I'd buy in a heartbeat!
    'A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. "

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KD Burke For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyR View Post
    Yes, it does do all it says and yes, it can still be worn for other events.

What it does:

1. Smaller arm holes with the bottom seam sewn higher on the jacket body. This gives more range of motion to your arms without the shoulder lifting up. When you have a pipe bag tucked under your arm, it can be tucked higher and more comfortably.

2. The back panels on the jacket are not pure wool. They're a wool lycra blend, cut on the bias. This gives you up to 2" of flex (hence the name) in the back panels. Real world example - try to touch your elbows in front of your body. The back of the jacket would flex with your stretching.

3. The half back measurement on the jacket is slightly bigger than standard. Again, it gives you a bit more room across the back and helps you to flex a bit easier.

4. The chain button closure in front keeps the jacket closed "ish". In a regular Argyll, you wouldn't button the front and the side of the jacket where you held your pipe bag would open and 'dangle'. If you DID button your standard Argyll, it would restrict your range of motion trying to hold your bag under your arm. The Piper Flex has a chain closure to sort of "split the difference". It keeps the front of the jacket looking good (closed), but allows a bit of flexibility for greater motion.

I hope this info helps!

Here's a link to the Piper Flex on our site: https://www.usakilts.com/piper-flex-jacket.html

Side note... we've done TWEED Piper Cut (not flex) jackets for different pipe bands. Even without the flex part across the back, the tighter arm holes, chain closure and increase half back really makes a difference in comfort while trying to play (as reported by the bands).
    How well does all of this work when the arms are raised? (Thinking specifically in terms of, would it also be beneficial to tenor {and some bass} drummers? I keep telling my drum teacher we need to invent a band-uniform Argyll with gussets in the underarms of the sleeves so the jacket doesn't ride up while flourishing. At least, this is how one keeps a Highland dance jacket from riding up when the arms are raised, and I assume the same principle could work for drummers as well.)
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Jock Scot;1337170]Completely off topic Willie, sorry! I have just noticed your "signature" below your post. You may be interested to know that the proverb that you quote is based on fact! This cairn was erected to mark the event, not far from where I stay.

This sound a bit similar to the fighting at Burnside Bridge at the battle of Antietam where a small group of Confederate sharpshooters held off a larger force of Union soldiers