X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sonny Liston in a kilt, 1963

My friend Vivien from Edinburgh shared this with me.

From the newspaper article:

"World heavyweight champ Sonny Liston drew a huge crowd of followers in Glasgow in 1963 when he donned full Highland rig, before an exhibition bout at Paisley Ice Rink. The gigantic kilt had been borrowed from a retired drum major.

Ahead of the bout, Liston made himself at home, drinking in city bars, visiting a local distillery, and even trying his hand at playing the pipes (stick to the boxing, big man!).

We see him here, striding past Central Station, in Gordon Street.

Glasgow, in turn, took the boxer to its heart. At the height of the civil rights battle in his native America, Liston said: “I am warm here, because I am among warm people and I feel that and react to it. When I return to the United States I will be cold again, for the people there are cold to me now and have treated me badly in the past.”

Whisper it, but Liston could trace his roots back to slavery and to a Scottish farmer Martin Liston who owned slaves in Choctaw County, Mississippi.

On his return to the States, Liston even inquired about taking Scottish citizenship, although no such thing existed."
    Last edited by HighPlainsFergus; 20th March 17 at 08:08 AM.

2. The Following 12 Users say 'Aye' to HighPlainsFergus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I notice that for a borrowed outfit he's not wearing white hose.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to David Dubh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He wears it well!

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hirsty For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Dubh View Post
    I notice that for a borrowed outfit he's not wearing white hose.
    And even if he was, I bet no one would make a big deal of it

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to HighPlainsFergus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighPlainsFergus View Post
    And even if he was, I bet no one would make a big deal of it
    Well yes making a big deal out of Mr Liston's kilt attire within earshot, would not be a wise move! Apart from that, it would be downright rude. However, whilst we don't know the context of the picture, one can wonder why he has got himself dressed up in formal evening attire in the daytime? A stunt? Possibly, probably even? A kilt shop publicity stunt? Perhaps, probably even? Bearing in mind the context issue, it appears to show even in the 1960's, poor kilt attire advice from kilt shops, was an issue then and has continued ever since.

It is only on a website such as this can we delve into the theoretical details of kilt attire and even then, sometimes, care has to be taken if an opinion has not been requested. But, BUT, that does not stop any of us from forming an opinion, then as now, even if its not voiced.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 19th March 17 at 12:48 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

tpa

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HighPlainsFergus , great pic ! I always liked Sonny Liston , he had a great hard hitting style as a boxer .

On a side note , please check your last three statements in your original post with the Forum Rule # 5 .

Cheers , Mike
    Last edited by MacGumerait; 19th March 17 at 12:35 AM.
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacGumerait For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

artical says

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Well yes making a big deal out of Mr Liston's kilt attire within earshot, would not be a wise move! Apart from that, it would be downright rude. However, whilst we don't know the context of the picture, one can wonder why he has got himself dressed up in formal evening attire in the daytime? A stunt? Possibly, probably even? A kilt shop publicity stunt? Perhaps, probably even? Bearing in mind the context issue, it appears to show even in the 1960's, poor kilt attire advice from kilt shops, was an issue then and has continued ever since.

It is only on a website such as this can we delve into the theoretical details of kilt attire and even then, sometimes, care has to be taken if an opinion has not been requested. But, BUT, that does not stop any of us from forming an opinion, then as now, even if its not voiced.
    The article says he borrowed the outfit from a retired Drum Major...... NOT A KILT SHOP........so taken at face value we can suppose that is where he got the "highland rig from..........just sayin'

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    The article says he borrowed the outfit from a retired Drum Major...... NOT A KILT SHOP........so taken at face value we can suppose that is where he got the "highland rig from..........just sayin'
    Well of course you are quite right my mistake, thank you for pointing that out. Well the outfit fits Mr. Liston well, so the Drum Major must have been a pretty imposing sight in his band uniform. I have to say Mr Liston was hardly done a favour by being sent out improperly attired. Does it matter? Well if it were me, I would want to be attired appropriately and would be far from impressed if that had been done to me, had I found out!

Mr. Liston might not have known, or, may not have cared? We will probably never know. Nevertheless the wearing of evening dress kilt attire during the day is still not something that wants encouraging.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gigantic kilt had been borrowed from a retired drum major.
    Liston was measured at 6 feet, one half inch, and IIRC won the championship at 213 pounds. Not what I think of as gigantic. He was a farm boy, so, strong;
    and an 84 inch wingspan gave opponents trouble. Other heavyweights have been much larger.

My first reaction to this photo was that it seemed to be daytime, so why a PC?.

As to the comment about descent, many here on this forum descend from slaves. There seems to be amnesia about how many Scots and Irish were sold.
    Please don't jump in with indentured servant talk. Owned is owned, and many never achieved their freedom. Many did, but not all. Slavery is much older
    than the US, or even Scotland. Controversy is contrived, don't be party to it. Noted for historical accuracy only, not a big conversation. Another time or
    place, absolutely.

18. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gigantic kilt had been borrowed from a retired drum major.
    Liston was measured at 6 feet, one half inch, and IIRC won the championship at 213 pounds. Not what I think of as gigantic. He was a farm boy, so, strong;
    and an 84 inch wingspan gave opponents trouble. Other heavyweights have been much larger.

My first reaction to this photo was that it seemed to be daytime, so why a PC?.

As to the comment about descent, many here on this forum descend from slaves. There seems to be amnesia about how many Scots and Irish were sold.
    Please don't jump in with indentured servant talk. Owned is owned, and many never achieved their freedom; they died as slaves. Many did see freedom,
    but not all. Slavery is much older than the US, or even Scotland. Controversy is contrived, don't be party to it. Noted for historical accuracy only, not a big
    conversation. Another time or place, absolutely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast