X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Complying with sports stadium clear bag policies...

For eight years I've worn my kilt to home Sounders soccer games. It's handy that my family's McKay tartan coordinates with the team colors pretty well. There are times when my sporran has not even been checked at security, and times when I've been forced into the bag check line and made to remove it for inspection. This afternoon is the first home game of the new season, and along with it comes CenturyLink Field's new "clear bag policy", similar to other NFL venues around the country:

"During the 2017 season, you may carry only the following style and size bag, package, or container into CenturyLink Field or when approaching the lines of fans waiting to enter the stadium.

Permitted Items:
    -Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12" x 6" x 12". These bags cannot have pockets and must be clear and not colored plastic. Official MLS team logo clear plastic tote bags are available at Pro Shop locations.
    -One-gallon clear plastic freezer bags (Ziploc bag or similar).
    -Small clutch bags, that do not exceed 4.5" x 6.5", with or without a handle or strap, may be carried into the stadium along with one of the clear bag options.
    -Seat cushions that have no pockets, zippered compartments, or extra straps.
    -There is an exemption*for medically necessary items.*
    -Exemptions do not apply to bag size (must be 12x12x6 or smaller) and must be properly inspected at the*NE VIP Gate, NW VIP Gate, SW VIP Gate, Club Entrance (Garage Level 5) or Suite Entrance (Garage Level 6).
    -Bags that do not fit these restrictions will not be allowed in the stadium for any reason. Placing them in a clear bag does not make them compliant."

Does my sporran fall under the exemption for "small clutch bags"? I've emailed stadium officials for clarification, but haven't heard back yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's really gonna depend on your sporran.

The nightstalker I have measures roughly 8x8 inches so no way it fits their restrictions.

The admin pouch I wear with my modern kilt is 7x8 inches so its a no go.

My wallet on a chain is 4x8 so technically they shouldn't even allow that.

I don't even think a child sized sporran would pass. Don't have one to measure so sorry, but it would look pretty silly on an adult.

Maybe get a cheap sporran and sew a few stitches across the top (easily removed later) where it hangs and claim it's a pocket. Unless they are banning blue jeans and pants with pockets you might pass.
    Last edited by neo71665; 19th March 17 at 11:55 AM.
    Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadbelly View Post
    If people don't like it they can go sit on a thistle.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only ones who can give you an answer are the stadium officials. I would wait until you get a response. If it is affirmative then print off the response and put it in your sporran for the gate guys.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most sporrans are larger than their "small clutch size" restriction. I foresee a sewing prject in your future. Clear shower curtain, a little edge binding and a good pattern for an envelope-style sporran. IF this is the new standard in many stadiums you may have a cottage industry on your hands.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a new DIY project to me...

Well, you could always get some heavy weight clear plastic sheeting at your local home improvement store, some scissors and rubber cement and make one for the games. It may not hold as much weight as its leather cousins but it should pass the inspection and make for an interesting conversation piece. Just use an existing one for a template. You should be able to use something other than clear plastic to connect it to your belt or chain, their main purpose is to ensure security can see what is inside of the container.
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to lschwartz For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a cheap sporran and remove the back?
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1) Buy a kilt from Steve with pockets, or hand stitch a pocket behind the apron. Put money and keys in said pocket or in new kilt equipped with pockets... Enjoy the game without your sporran, but with your stuff!

2) Claim your sporran is medically necessary, it has money in it, and this is needed for life sustaining food and drink.
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to GrainReaper For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Steve said.

and I'll add to options: a travel waist belt to hold your funds, cards and phone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uncle Milty to the Rescue!

Try an Uncle Milty travel vest (or whatever brand you like). I have worn mine on the airlines. It serves effectively as a carry-on, but doesn't count as one.

It is a natural for any time you have to take your stuff, but leave the sporran.

I have fought the bag wars at football stadiums before. I always lost. I tend to avoid places like that, these days. Didn't have my Uncle Milty back then. I'd give it a try.
    Last edited by ElCabong; 20th March 17 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Pride of authorship.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of interest, I have just measured the pockets in one pair of trousers and they do not comply with the size regulations. As I am not in the habit of wearing clear plastic trousers, I'd stick to your kilt as otherwise technically you will have to remove your trousers if they have standard pockets, especially if they have zip or stud closures as that makes them no different from a bag, from the point of concealing items.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post: