X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A recurring theme on the various kilt pages

I have noticed something on a few of the various kilt pages of the volume of visages. It goes a bit like this:

"Hi all, this is me in my kilt. Let me know how I look. Be honest! Don't hold back!" accompanied by a photo of an extraordinarily hirsute man wearing loafers, white kilt hose pulled up, a crushed (nineteenth century era) short kilt with no pin or sporran, and a purple eighteenth century style shirt.

"Okay. You look like Hagrid on his way to a Halloween party".

"Dude! Don't be so judgy man! The are no rules and I was having fun. I'll wear my kilt the way I want because freedom! Don't be such a kilt cop!"

"Why did you ask? Oh, you were seeking affirmation, not an opinion. Got it."

Of course he can wear what he wants. But it's a bit like freedom of speech. We can pretty much say what we want. We all have a right to express an opinion, but that doesn't mean we all have the right to expect everyone to take our opinion seriously. Some people look ridiculous the way they dress, whether kilted or trousered.

Note: this was not an actual exchange, but representative of the type.
    Last edited by Michael A; 5th February 17 at 11:54 PM.

2. The Following 13 Users say 'Aye' to Michael A For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I myself have been wondering how many people see pictures on here that someone posted thinking they look ridiculous,but say they look great. People tend to appease rather than hurt feelings it seems. If I looked off kilter, I would want to be told rather than going in public looking like highland hobo....

4. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to 48HofC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My approach to these usually is if I have nothing nice to say, I won't say anything at all. There are literally thousands of pictures on this forum on what we as a kilted community consider appropriate or in good taste be it in the traditional or contemporary forum. All you gotta do is compare and contrast and you'll get your answer. If you look like a highlander hillbilly, you know it and you're merely looking for affirmation from like minded folk.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Manu For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to disagree. If asked for feedback on how one looks, generally very honest feedback is given. Unfortunately feedback is often given when one is just posting a picture, which IMHO is just rude.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

8. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first started wearing the kilt over 10 years ago I found this site and I ordered a Prince Charlie for an upcoming Burns Night, it was my thought that I would be better off buying a Prince Charlie rather than renting one every time. Below is one of the first photos I posted here I was looking for advice, the white hose were bought when we rented outfits for my twin brothers wedding a few years before, the kilt was my dad's from 1950, the shoes were what I had on hand, the flashes were purchased separately, the sgian dubh was a cheap offering from ebay that was billed as an envelope opener.

The thing is that this is not bad and would be passable at most any Burns Night the world over, but it is rather cookie cutter and does not show any personality. Fast forward a few years and this is what I wore to Burns Night just past, the differences are that this time the sgian dubh was hand carved by my girlfriends grandfather, the shoes are buckle brogues with silver buckles, the sporran is sealskin from L&M the kilt, jacket and waistcoat are in a tartan I designed, the idea for which was first brought forward on this site, the hose are argyll hose done custom in my tartan, and the bow tie is a self tie.

Had I not come here with questions, and had not the members of the forum answered my questions truthfully, I would not have changed at all. I try to answer all queries like the one you pose in truth but politely. We all have to start somewhere. The main thing for me anyway is that the kilt be worn with respect and with an attitude that this is National Dress and as such has rules attached to it and should be worn within those rules for best effect. Wear it with a cowboy hat if you must, but don't be surprised that people will tell you you are wrong if you ask them.
    Last edited by McMurdo; 31st January 17 at 08:24 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not just something that happens on kilt forums, that same guy, he posts the same photo and asks the same question on a couple of reenactor boards and also gets skewered for literally nothing being correct and complains about how the hardcore stitch natzies are ruining the hobby.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I am from a rather old and established Highland Family, who migrated (not by choice) during the Scottish Clearance to Nova Scotia, much of the traditional Scottish dress was lost. Thanks to people like Jock Scott, Luke MacGillie, and others who tells you the way it is and is direct, this I respect. I finally purchased my first kilt and accessories and really needed HONEST feedback. To me, it was about representing generations of my family, and I certainly did not what to insult my family ancestry by either over or under dressing for formal occasions, as well as informal. Although I might not have agreed with everything that was said, the criticism received was constructive and taken in the spirit of improving not insulting. Because of Jock, Luke, and others, I made the necessary changes and feel more confident than ever that when I dress in formal Scottish attire, I am representing my family name and honor, and doing it right.

I thank those who provided me the input needed to assure when I left the house, I left wearing my clothing as it was meant, and it was proper. Good job all and thank you.

If you are posting to just think everybody is going to say you are perfect in everyway, why bother. If you are asking fore honest feedback, well don't be insulted if you get feedback that you do not agree with. Us your head, and listen and learn. A forum like this is to share information, and sometimes when you share you might get what you do expect as an answer. That is actually good to be challenged. Widens your horizons. Some people will do as they please regardless, but you know, its the ones who listen and learn that succeed. Its people like Jock Scott and others who share their knowledge to make it better for all. Both are needed. My advise, if you post and ask, then listen, learn, and make the correct changes as needed, as for my view its about my ancestry family that I represent, not about myself trying to be noticed.
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 31st January 17 at 09:18 AM.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

13. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take some things with a grain of salt, fashions always change, we don't wear the suits we wore years ago (thankfully). When it comes to TCHD, that is a specific subject and comes with certain "rules". I don't wear white hose, but don't have a problem with them either, I see them everywhere and even some of the best kilt makers (e.g. Kinloch Anderson) show them on their website. I wear Hamilton modern green and the only stripe is white, some say to match the stripe...a grain of salt and sense of humour go a long way!!

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to fflex For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fflex View Post
    I take some things with a grain of salt, fashions always change, we don't wear the suits we wore years ago (thankfully). When it comes to TCHD, that is a specific subject and comes with certain "rules". I don't wear white hose, but don't have a problem with them either, I see them everywhere and even some of the best kilt makers (e.g. Kinloch Anderson) show them on their website. I wear Hamilton modern green and the only stripe is white, some say to match the stripe...a grain of salt and sense of humour go a long way!!
    It took me some introspection, but I finally figured out why I always want to default to diced hose on all occasions. Its my reenactor upbringing, where those that are the most dedicated find weavers to weave them the checkered material, then cut out the hose on the bias and sew them up, or make tartan bag hose. Those that just cant do that get knitted diced hose, then there are those that for whatever reason just will not do anything, and they wear modern kilt hose. That bias against solid color kilt hose continued to my modern kilt wearing........

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good comments here to be sure. From some of those pages on Ye Olde Book of Faces, one could be forgiven for thinking that looking like a cross between a bikie gang member and a Dungeons and a Dragons player were the norm for going kilted.

On this site however, I have generally only read useful, honest and usually tactful open opinion on past and current trends in wearing kilts for different occasions. For my part, if I want to look traditional I want to do so correctly. But if I want a contemporary look, then just as if I were wearing trousers, it's nce to know what others are doing. I found a good start was to look at what Howie Nicholsby is doing with his brand, but there are edgier designers out there like the young start-up Siobhan MacKenzie (google her) as well. As someone said above, it would be a bit odd to decide to wear a suit and then put something on from the 1930s.

Cheers,

Michael

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast