X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Original 92nd Kilt c1815

I see the National Army Museum have now made available some pictures of Ensign John Bramwell's 92nd Reg’t (Gordon Highlanders) kilt. Box pleated kilt (22 pleats) with a series of ties and made from Wilsons of Bannockburn's material.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ce83eff408b1f396a4cc7cf9d85c3ddd.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	30443

Bramwell was commissioned into the 92nd on 29th July 1813 and fought with the battalion at Quatre Bras on 16th June where he was severely wounded, his right leg being amputated. He was promoted Lieutenant 18th July 1815 and discharged on half pay in 1817. He died in 1876.

2. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking out loud on issues of math here. If Mr. Bramwell was in his 20's when his leg was amputated, and lived another 59 years, I am impressed with his resolve to collect his pension.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just looked it up, the battle of Quatre Bras was 1815, so he served for just short of 2 years before being injured 2 days before the battle of Waterloo.
    That means he was promoted a month after he was disabled, But I would think there is a good chance his promotion was promulagted before then, if not they were being unusually generous for the military!!
    Last edited by The Q; 21st March 17 at 01:46 AM.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    I've just looked it up, the battle of Quatre Bras was 1815, so he served for just short of 2 years before being injured 2 days before the battle of Waterloo.
    That means he was promoted a month after he was disabled, But I would think there is a good chance his promotion was promulagted before then, if not they were being unusually generous for the military!!
    At that date one still purchased a commission and promotion rather than it being automatic. Reading Wellington's comments on some of the officers under his command shows why we moved to merit based promotion. Purchase of commissions in the British Army.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The original Fly Plaid style?

In 2011 I started a thread about what I took to be The Original Kilt Style. That hypothesis was turned on it's head but the discovery of Lt Bramwell's uniform which contains a piece of tartan similarly constructed to the Sutherland piece but Bramwell's uniform also includes his kilt. It is now obvious that what I took in isolation to be a proto-kilt is in fact a early form, perhaps the earliest form of the Fly Plaid. It's likely that the Sutherland Fly Plaid was also military (93rd Regt) and that this is the 92nd uniform represents what was the standard kilt and plaid arrangement when the belted plaid was set aside.

92nd Fly Plaid

Name:	1044721.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	30448

Sutherland (93rd?) Fly Plaid

Name:	SutherlandFly Plaid.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	231.3 KB 
ID:	30449
    Last edited by figheadair; 21st March 17 at 10:39 AM.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post: