X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tweed epaulettes

I have a charcoal grey tweed herringbone 3 peice suit I am cutting down for a coat and weskit for kiltwear. (The trousers are huge, I call them Oxford bags but they're really just old fashioned country suit trousers.) Probably going to go with a braemar cuff because the Argyll intimidates me as an ametuer tailor. (If there's a tutorial on Argyll cuffs, please, point me to it!!!) I'll be using black horn buttons and it will be my "versatile" jacket. (I never really have need for black or white tie.)

But the epaulettes give me pause. I think I have 3 choices, 2 really. A flat epaulet made from the trousers, or a braid made from charcoal grey Paracord. A third, I don't know how to do precisely, would be the braided tweed.

Im leaning toward the Paracord braid, but am seeking opinions. And you guys are famous for those, right?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me first say, Well met and welcome new member. Next, I would go with the flat epaulettes cut from the slacks. Or, I would opt for the tweed braid of one piece fabric (I could put together a tutorial on how to do this if needed, but I'm sure one could be found "online").

My personal choice would be forgo the epaulette and slip a shoulder pad in a broader jacket that has more room in the sleeve (length and diameter) for easier movement. If this were my "go-to" jacket, I want it as comfortable as possible.

Please keep us informed of thoughts and decisions in your conversion. Good luck.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    ...Or, I would opt for the tweed braid of one piece fabric (I could put together a tutorial on how to do this if needed, but I'm sure one could be found "online").

...Good luck.
    Thanks for the welcome! If you could give me a brief description, because I have searched high and low. It appears to be a standard 3 strand braid made from 3 thin "tubes" of tweed, but I have only ever seen pictures of them.

Thanks if you can explain it basically, the tweed braid attracts me most.

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kilt cut jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Bamamedic View Post
    I have a charcoal grey tweed herringbone 3 peice suit I am cutting down for a coat and weskit for kiltwear. (The trousers are huge, I call them Oxford bags but they're really just old fashioned country suit trousers.) Probably going to go with a braemar cuff because the Argyll intimidates me as an ametuer tailor. (If there's a tutorial on Argyll cuffs, please, point me to it!!!) I'll be using black horn buttons and it will be my "versatile" jacket. (I never really have need for black or white tie.)

But the epaulettes give me pause. I think I have 3 choices, 2 really. A flat epaulet made from the trousers, or a braid made from charcoal grey Paracord. A third, I don't know how to do precisely, would be the braided tweed.

Im leaning toward the Paracord braid, but am seeking opinions. And you guys are famous for those, right?
    Have a look at Steve Ashton's kilt cut coat. It really does work well. it is enough of old style but has a modern touch ......i am very happy with mine
    Last edited by Terry Searl; 20th March 17 at 06:39 PM.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    Have a look at Steve Ashton's kilt cut coat. It treally does work well. it is enough of old style but has a modern touch ......i am very happy with mine
    It's a handsome design. But it isn't tweed, has no cuffs, and lacks epaulettes. What would I be looking at exactly?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the point is that the jacket doesn't have to be tweed or have highland cuffs or epaulettes to look good with a kilt. Take a look at some of the jackets worn by the Duke of Rothesay.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually it is

Quote Originally Posted by Bamamedic View Post
    It's a handsome design. But it isn't tweed, has no cuffs, and lacks epaulettes. What would I be looking at exactly?
    Actually mine is a charcoal tweed but my point exactly is, that it doesn't have the cuffs and epaulettes that are of an older style and maybe considered by some a bit too "dressie" to be worn outside an event that is just, shall we say, taking my lady out for a meal. I think Steve's newer version can be worn where ever the older style would be and maybe with just a touch more modernism is more acceptable or enjoyed by a younger generation........just my opinion though

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Bamamedic, from British Columbia and Inverness-shire.

I guess I have had them all and all their configurations over the last 70 years plus. I don't usually like braid (but I wear a lovely grey Donegal tweed with braided epaulets I accidentally ordered), I like epaulets and I like jackets without epaulets. I wear both. As suggested, a bit of shoulder-padding is a good idea if you are remaking a jacket without it. I like Argyll cuffs on tweed jackets, but I have a Braemar cuff and one with just a single sleeve button. It's really your choice, in other words, and you can steal from jacket-shortening to get flat epaulets and even a form of Argyll cuff, I'm sure.

Try your very best to use horn buttons on your tweed jacket -- real horn buttons, not plastic. Highland Horn at Avoch on the Black Isle is a great source for these.

Terry Searl, the 'newer' version is actually quite old. My brother's first kilt jacket was a refit of mine 69 years ago when he was six. My mother's notes when she ordered it refer to it as an easy alteration. I don't know for certain, but I think that means the jacket didn't have epaulets, pocket flaps (perhaps not even pockets) and cuffs in the first place because it doesn't have them all these years later. No photos, but it's still being worn three generations on. I might not have been the first wearer, but I think so.

In the Highlands the Argyll remains our traditional cuff style, with Argyll pocket flaps and flat epaulets. We refer to these as 'traditional' because they are contemporary.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 20th March 17 at 07:44 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    Actually mine is a charcoal tweed but my point exactly is, that it doesn't have the cuffs and epaulettes that are of an older style and maybe considered by some a bit too "dressie" to be worn outside an event that is just, shall we say, taking my lady out for a meal. I think Steve's newer version can be worn where ever the older style would be and maybe with just a touch more modernism is more acceptable or enjoyed by a younger generation........just my opinion though
    That makes sense and I appreciate it. I have a khaki land's end sport coat cut down in that style, as well as a blue tweed whose only adornment was the addition of surgeons cuffs.

But I LIKE stuffy and old fashioned. Which is why I am also adding a ticket pocket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    Welcome Bamamedic, from British Columbia and Inverness-shire.

I guess I have had them all and all their configurations over the last 70 years plus. I don't usually like braid (but I wear a lovely grey Donegal tweed with braided epaulets I accidentally ordered), I like epaulets and I like jackets without epaulets. I wear both. As suggested, a bit of shoulder-padding is a good idea if you are remaking a jacket without it. I like Argyll cuffs on tweed jackets, but I have a Braemar cuff and one with just a single sleeve button. It's really your choice, in other words, and you can steal from jacket-shortening to get flat epaulets and even a form of Argyll cuff, I'm sure.

Try your very best to use horn buttons on your tweed jacket -- real horn buttons, not plastic. Highland Horn at Avoch on the Black Isle is a great source for these.

Terry Searl, the 'newer' version is actually quite old. My brother's first kilt jacket was a refit of mine 69 years ago when he was six. My mother's notes when she ordered it refer to it as an easy alteration. I don't know for certain, but I think that means the jacket didn't have epaulets, pocket flaps (perhaps not even pockets) and cuffs in the first place because it doesn't have them all these years later. No photos, but it's still being worn three generations on. I might not have been the first wearer, but I think so.

In the Highlands the Argyll remains our traditional cuff style, with Argyll pocket flaps and flat epaulets. We refer to these as 'traditional' because they are contemporary.
    Exactly ThistleDown, there really is nothing new under the sun......it just depends how far back one wants to go.....I'm having problems attaching photos and if I was able I would attach the photo of the jacket Steve Ashton had built for me. He has incorporated subtle differences that may not be noticed straightaway ........ since then I had a very favourite old Italian lambs wool Sports jacket converted using the jacket from Freedom Kilts as a pattern and am so pleased to be able to wear that jacket again. I've only been wearing a kilt a bit more than a year but I feel like I've worn one all my life..... I am not from the highlands and don't pretend to be, to me wearing the kilt and daywear outfit or with any kind of jacket is NOT wearing a uniform and as such I am able to coordinate anyway I want and will always do so with respect to what the kilt means to me and hopefully will not offend those that wear a kilt culturally......I will say buy the very best quality you can it will give you pleasure your whole life long

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast