X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading through this and tried to picture what was being worn. Though I would ask, is your kilt a dark tweed, maybe with no psttern, or a black kilt with pockets, or a plain wool kilt, that's just black. In my mind I cant picture a tartan plaid not looking off in either. I guess it would also depend on the event as well. Not many cases a plaid would be worn, pipers, your wedding etc.
    Lieutenant to the Chief of Clan Farquharson, USA and Canada

http://www.farquharson-clan.co.uk

McKerrell is offline Membership terminated at member's request.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock, Scotland, which I have never visited, is close to my heart. I know proud Scots flourish the world over, as well. And I appreciate your wisdom.

Nowhere did I suggest the individual wear a fly of completely different Clan--but of course he may, if he's entitled, or if he's clergy and his Clan is one thing and Clergy Tartan is the other.

The imposition of 'policing rules', I thought, was one thing this site does not do!

By the bye, 'all tartan is the same cloth'--that's a Scots proverb.

I want to hear one thing from you , Jock: are you gunning for me? If I'm going to have to contend with you, I'd just as soon quit this forum now. I'd appreciate an answer.
    Last edited by McKerrell; 10th May 17 at 10:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's look at this from a different perspective...

Quote Originally Posted by Maitiu View Post
    I am looking into getting a fly plaid in my family tartan but I don't have the matching Kilt to go with it. I do however have a solid black kilt and was curious if it would be acceptable to wear them together. I am viewing it as similar to wearing a patterned tie with a black shirt and pants. any thoughts?
    Maitiu,

Reading your original post (shown above), would I be correct in saying that you are looking for a way to wear your family tartan with your existing black kilt? I understand that a kilt in your family tartan is a ways off, but maybe the fly plaid isn't your best choice. If you just want to wear your family colors, so to speak, you might want to consider getting a vest/waistcoat in your tartan instead. You can definitely wear that with other attire; jeans, any solid color kilt, dress slacks, even a suit or sports coat in compatible colors. Also, a vest/waistcoat is a common and very popular way to dress up an existing kilt. You can get one made by USA Kilt as mentioned earlier: https://www.usakilts.com/tartan-vest.html

Give it some thought,

Larry
    Last edited by lschwartz; 10th May 17 at 11:15 AM.
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to lschwartz For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lschwartz View Post
    Maitiu,

Reading your original post (shown above), would I be correct in saying that you are looking for a way to wear your family tartan with your existing black kilt? I understand that a kilt in your family tartan is a ways off, but maybe the fly plaid isn't your best choice. If you just want to wear your family colors, so to speak, you might want to consider getting a vest/waistcoat in your tartan instead. You can definitely wear that with other attire; jeans, any solid color kilt, dress slacks, even a suit or sports coat in compatible colors. Also, a vest/waistcoat is a common and very popular way to dress up an existing kilt. You can get one made by USA Kilt as mentioned earlier: https://www.usakilts.com/tartan-vest.html

Give it some thought,

Larry
    It sounds like you got it right--but why should he not wear a black kilt and a fly in his Clan tartan? It sounds tasteful to me, so is there some custom he'd be breaking by it? So many people are tiring of these 'rules', which are imaginary.....

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McKerrell View Post
    Jock, Scotland, which I have never visited, is close to my heart. I know proud Scots flourish the world over, as well. And I appreciate your wisdom.

Nowhere did I suggest the individual wear a fly of completely different Clan--but of course he may, if he's entitled, or if he's clergy and his Clan is one thing and Clergy Tartan is the other.

The imposition of 'policing rules', I thought, was one thing this site does not do!

By the bye, 'all tartan is the same cloth'--that's a Scots proverb.

I want to hear one thing from you , Jock: are you gunning for me? If I'm going to have to contend with you, I'd just as soon quit this forum now. I'd appreciate an answer.
    Gunning for you? Not in the least, why should I? I have to confess that I am having a spot of trouble with your rather confrontational attitude and choice of words and do on occasion disagree with what you are saying on kilt and tartan matters and I might voice an opinion from time to time as I would and do, with any of the others.

In passing, can I suggest you read post 3 on this thread.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 10th May 17 at 12:15 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Where what you are saying, if I understand you correctly, is that any tartan -------plaid and kilt---- can be worn together and that is at odds with normal convention. Mixing MacKarrot tartan with MacOnion tartan for example, is an absolute no-no in any circle that I am aware of.

I used to think that it was OK to mix and match tartans as well. I'm not sure where the idea came from. I've heard it said, and it was told to my wife, that a woman could wear her clan's tartan as a sash but would wear her husband's tartan for skirts and whatnot. I also heard or read (not sure as it was some years ago) that clergy would wear the Clark/Clergy tartan as a kilt if they went kilted, but they would sometimes wear their clan's tartan as a fly plaid.

I've no idea where this information comes from, but it is out there and being passed around.
    OblSB, PhD, KOSG

"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to dcommini For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dcommini View Post
    I used to think that it was OK to mix and match tartans as well. I'm not sure where the idea came from. I've heard it said, and it was told to my wife, that a woman could wear her clan's tartan as a sash but would wear her husband's tartan for skirts and whatnot. I also heard or read (not sure as it was some years ago) that clergy would wear the Clark/Clergy tartan as a kilt if they went kilted, but they would sometimes wear their clan's tartan as a fly plaid.

I've no idea where this information comes from, but it is out there and being passed around.
    Well said. I'd heard similar statements, too.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dcommini View Post

I have no idea where the information comes from either! But its not how we do it here.

If I use my dear wife as an example of how we do it here. She was born to a well respected Highland Clan and until she married for the first time she wore skirts and various tartan accessories in her family tartan. When she married she wore her husbands tartan to the exclusion of all others. When she was widowed she still wore her late husband's tartan as did her children. When she and I married she now wears my tartan to the exclusion of all others, I don't think we ever discussed it. It just is what is done here. Interestingly when the time came for her children to become seriously interested in kilts they were offered the choice of their late father's tartan or mine. Rightly in my opinion, they chose to wear their late father's tartan.

Now we are talking Clan tartans here. Although from close observation of close family members and friends who served in Scottish regiments, even when on leave, or on retirement, they always chose to wear the Clan tartan.

If you want to ignore convention then go ahead, you will do what you do, but at least you know what is done in the home of the kilt, Scotland.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 10th May 17 at 01:08 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I have no idea where the information comes from either! But its not how we do it here.

If I use my dear wife as an example of how we do it here. She was born to a well respected Highland Clan and until she married for the first time she wore skirts and various tartan accessories in her family tartan. When she married she wore her husbands tartan to the exclusion of all others. When she was widowed she still wore her late husband's tartan as did her children. When she and I married she now wears my tartan to the exclusion of all others, I don't think we ever discussed it. It just is what is done here. Interestingly when the time came for her children to become seriously interested in kilts they were offered the choice of their late father's tartan or mine. Rightly in my opinion, they chose to wear their late father's tartan.

Now we are talking Clan tartans here. Although from close observation of close family members and friends who served in Scottish regiments, even when on leave, or on retirement, they always chose to wear the Clan tartan.

If you want to ignore convention then go ahead, you will do what you do, but at least you know what is done in the home of the kilt, Scotland.
    This is good, I really enjoyed this explanation. Contrary to my bad impression-making for which I take full responsibility, I think all Highland tartan traditions should be taught and respected. About Clan tartan especially, since I know so many are sensitive about Clan relationships.
    Last edited by McKerrell; 10th May 17 at 01:33 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McKerrell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McKerrell View Post
    It sounds like you got it right--but why should he not wear a black kilt and a fly in his Clan tartan? It sounds tasteful to me, so is there some custom he'd be breaking by it? So many people are tiring of these 'rules', which are imaginary.....
    The situation also has a thread of value. A fly plaid is not inexpensive, with a proper one running in the US$150 zone. That's a fair chunk of change to throw down for something that might not be worn very often since it screams "formal" and is not cut in a manner that makes the cloth very useful for anything else. A waistcoat is as expensive, but has much greater utility. A tie can be had for about US$35.

So, its not only about a fly plaid with a black kilt, but also about what can achieve the want for good value over the longer term.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast