X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    McKerrell is offline Membership terminated at member's request.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I have no idea where the information comes from either! But its not how we do it here.

If I use my dear wife as an example of how we do it here. She was born to a well respected Highland Clan and until she married for the first time she wore skirts and various tartan accessories in her family tartan. When she married she wore her husbands tartan to the exclusion of all others. When she was widowed she still wore her late husband's tartan as did her children. When she and I married she now wears my tartan to the exclusion of all others, I don't think we ever discussed it. It just is what is done here. Interestingly when the time came for her children to become seriously interested in kilts they were offered the choice of their late father's tartan or mine. Rightly in my opinion, they chose to wear their late father's tartan.

Now we are talking Clan tartans here. Although from close observation of close family members and friends who served in Scottish regiments, even when on leave, or on retirement, they always chose to wear the Clan tartan.

If you want to ignore convention then go ahead, you will do what you do, but at least you know what is done in the home of the kilt, Scotland.
    Jock, how exactly is it done today when an individual may not be certain of which Clan tartan to wear? I mean to ask, someone in a more difficult situation...not wanting to be indelicate, you see. Say, if one loses track of their only grandparent and had no idea which tartan was worn by them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taskr View Post
    The situation also has a thread of value. A fly plaid is not inexpensive, with a proper one running in the US$150 zone. That's a fair chunk of change to throw down for something that might not be worn very often since it screams "formal" and is not cut in a manner that makes the cloth very useful for anything else. A waistcoat is as expensive, but has much greater utility. A tie can be had for about US$35.

So, its not only about a fly plaid with a black kilt, but also about what can achieve the want for good value over the longer term.
    Ahh, that makes sense. A great point. I've always felt that a fly plaid in full size ought to be worn more informally--but your advice shoots home. I shudder at the cost of these tiny modern fly plaids.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rev. McKerrell.

A situation that we in Scotland are not unused to! Well, failing any information to hand about blood relatives, then perhaps a foster parents name, or failing that a respected person's name and then if that fails frankly sticking pin in a page of the telephone directory might do. However once a Clan tartan has been chosen, by any way one can think of, it is stuck to. We don't ask questions and we certainly do not want to hear the dreaded tartan justification lecture, so we just respect the person's choice. We would not respect a person if he wore several Clan tartan kilts, nothing would be said of course, but respect there would be none.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 10th May 17 at 01:52 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Rev. McKerrell.

A situation that we in Scotland are not unused to! Well, failing any information to hand about blood relatives, then perhaps a foster parents name, or failing that a respected person's name and then if that fails frankly sticking pin in a page of the telephone directory might do. However once a Clan tartan has been chosen, by any way one can think of, it is stuck to. We don't ask questions and we certainly do not want to hear the dreaded tartan justification lecture, so we just respect the person's choice. We would not respect a person if he wore several Clan tartan kilts, nothing would be said of course, but respect there would be none.
    That is very good and I might quote you on my social media page (for family only). I ask because I have met those who know they have Scots ancestry, but no idea of a name or district of origin. Here in America, I mean. Often they want to know both sides of their family, and I understand that an individual has a right to both father and mother Clan tartan. Also I ask because of the adoption or "wrong side of the blanket" person who has inquired of me in the past--I tell them to choose a universal instead of torture. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McKerrell View Post
    That is very good and I might quote you on my social media page (for family only). I ask because I have met those who know they have Scots ancestry, but no idea of a name or district of origin. Here in America, I mean. Often they want to know both sides of their family, and I understand that an individual has a right to both father and mother Clan tartan. Also I ask because of the adoption or "wrong side of the blanket" person who has inquired of me in the past--I tell them to choose a universal instead of torture. Thanks again.
    I follow with this post in slightly odd circumstances, but I feel that there are a couple of points raised in the post above that members might be interested in.

Generally speaking we in Scotland do not take to the tartan of our mother. If there is a choice, then the father's Clan tartan takes precedence. However, its a convention and not a rule and I can think of a couple of examples where the mother's tartan is worn. However, it is one or the other, not both and no one else needs to hear the justification, we are not interested.

Universal and area tartans are a choice to us but few, a very few, actually wear them. I suppose we don't need too.

Finally, we in Scotland do not discuss tartans on a regular basis like we do here. It is in fact, almost never spoken of in the normal course of events. It is something that those members from outwith these shores who have visited here (some have even have met me!) have noticed and commented on from time to time in their threads about visiting Scotland. It just never occurs to us to discuss it.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 12th May 17 at 04:51 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234