X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best place to buy a kilt in Alaska?

Sorry if this is in the wrong area, please feel free to move it to where it is appropriate.

After I went through the 4-14th degrees of the Scottish Rite a little while ago I was joking with our Grand Master - who also likes to wear a kilt - about wearing my GK next month when I do the 15-32nd degrees and that he should wear one as well. He mentioned that he might if it warms up a bit since all he has is a Sport Kilt, and of course I mentioned that he should buy himself a nice wool kilt. He replied that he didn't know if he could afford that because shipping from Scotland would be so expensive, and I, of course, mentioned that there are plenty of quality kilt makers here in the States.

Also, I'm thinking of joining the Knights of Saint Andrew, and they wear kilts from time to time. I don't want to always be wearing my GK as it can be cumbersome for dressier occasions so I would be looking at getting a wool kilt in my family tartan to wear instead. All I have is a few Sport Kilts that just don't look right for dressier events.

So my question after all of that background is where would be the best place to look at getting a nice wool kilt that would ship to Alaska? Or does anybody know of a kilt maker in Alaska? I know it is probably preferable to be measured in the store and all, but I don't know how feasible that would be since we live in Alaska.
    OblSB, PhD, KOSG

"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how far away you are, but our own Steve Ashton's Freedom Kilts is in Victoria, BC. And if that's still too far, he has on his site, (and will discuss with you on the phone) detailed measuring instructions that I can testify work quite well. I got my Dress Blue kilt, which fits perfectly, without coming within a thousand miles of Steve's shop.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A trip to BC would not be possible for me right now, but I will keep Steve's shop in mind
    OblSB, PhD, KOSG

"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being able to look a kilt maker in the eye is always preferable but there are plenty of kilt makers on this site that can build you a great kilt without having to walk in the door.
    St. Andrew's Society of Toronto

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to JohntheBiker For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few of our members from Alaska. Truitt Smith (Truitt) is an accomplished kiltmaker from Anchorage but does not have a shop or make kilts for sale. Perhaps you could contact him. He may have some ideas for you.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    There are a few of our members from Alaska. Truitt Smith (Truitt) is an accomplished kiltmaker from Anchorage but does not have a shop or make kilts for sale. Perhaps you could contact him. He may have some ideas for you.
    Thanks, Steve! I just wanted to look at some options because I figured shipping might also be a big factor in overall cost. If there is a kiltmaker near me then I will seek out his advice. I greatly appreciate this information.
    OblSB, PhD, KOSG

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are concerned about shipping costs then by all means use a kiltmaker in the US. Some of the very best kiltmakers are now in N. America.

And if you want personal service seek out a kiltmaker who will have a video call with you. I love Skype for that face-to-face personal service. I have spoken to many of my customers all over the world via Skype.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone in Alaska making kilts as a business. But I can definitely recommend a few kilt makers. PM sent.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy." - Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Truitt View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone in Alaska making kilts as a business. But I can definitely recommend a few kilt makers. PM sent.
    Thanks, I appreciate it!
    OblSB, PhD, KOSG