X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Central Pennsylvania KiltCon April 6

McCleary's Public House in Marietta (Lancaster County) Pennsylvania will be hosting a Tartan Day Kilt con on Thursday, April 6 from 7:00 - 11:00 PM. Come enjoy!

Here is a link to the Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/881821278626743/
    "You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." -Obi Wan Kenobi

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to dutchy kilted For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drat, I am 6 hours away from the PA KiltCon on a workday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an hour drive

This is an hour drive, I have it on the calendar and will try to show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was unable to find your thread, and posted an announcement myself. I received this response from the moderator. So maybe we need to take this post down. I seem to have step over some sort of invisible line and offended greatly.
    Thanks for posting, I hope that you are able to come.
    Donald

"Steve Ashton
    Maybe it is just me, and maybe I am guilty of being just a little proud of what X Marks is and has done over all the years.

To many of our 20,000 members wearing a kilt is just a normal thing. Some of our members have worn a kilt for over 50 years and quite a few wear the kilt everyday. Myself included.

So I guess I view this new "year-in-a-kilt" with a bit of a smile. My first full year in a kilt was over 12 years ago.

But I guess what hits me most, as the owner of this forum, is the idea that it is OK to register to X Marks, and as a first post, promote a gathering for another site. It just seems rude somehow.
    I would never even consider going on this guy's blog site and try to drum up members for X Marks.

No new member introduction post to our Newbie section, no introduction of any sort. Just a first post that says "Hey, come support this other thing."

This upcoming Tartan Day X Marks members will be having Kilt Nights all over the world. I just took a quick look in our kilt night announcement section and there are a lot of Tartan Day Kilt Nights announced. To us here, kilt nights are normal. We get together and share our love of the kilt. Plain, simple, without fanfare or the need to feel we have to promote or push it.

We have seen things like this before. Some guy discovers the kilt. For some strange reason he seems to think that he is the first one to ever do so. He gets excited and decides to tell the world. Sometimes things get a little carried away. This is nothing new, We have seen this before. In fact it happens so often that there is a little part in our FAQ's that addresses this exact issue.

Announcements of events and functions are helpful and can keep our members informed of what is going on. We welcome announcements of events and functions as long as they do not cross the line and become promotion. It would be very suspect if your sole reason for joining is to post announcements of your event or if you are directly involved with, or would profit from the event. Dates, times and locations can be listed but pricing, ticket sales or collections of funds is not. When an announcement crosses the line and becomes promotion will lie solely with the Forum Moderators."

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donald,
    If you would like to find your post again here is a direct link.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=92293

It was posted within the Highland Games forum section.

It is not that you stepped across some invisible line. None of this is invisible. It is all published and readily available.

Your first post to X Marks, without even introducing yourself, and you invite our members to an event hosted by a different commercial site. You also included embedded links to that site which goes against our published advertising policy.

I guess it all comes down to the enthusiasm of people new to the kilt world. There is no problem with enthusiasm but kilts are a not new phenomenon or recently discovered. Kilts have been around for a couple hundred years and X Marks has been around since 2004. We are the oldest continuous, largest, and most active on-line community dedicated to the kilt.

I do not go to the year-in-a-kilt blog and promote my site. I would just expect the courtesy to be extended to X Marks.

I did leave your post. It is there and visible to anyone who comes across it. All I did was remove the embedded links to a commercial site IAW our published policies and made a post with comments very similar to those I just posted above.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner