X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After looking around the internet and getting at least three "official" answers from 5.11 on the sizing of the TDK, I called their customer service yesterday. I was told to "order the same size pants that you wear", which is not a very helpful answer considering that I don't own any 5.11 products and the ten pairs of pants I own are spread out over three different sizes! When I asked about the relationship between the size of the TDK and inches (who know, a more or less universal constant), I was then told to order whatever my waist measurement happens to be, but "there is no give in these kilts".

Oh well, I ordered one, nonetheless. Stay tuned for delivery next week. Let's just hope that I don't have to take advantage of the return policy!

Bjorn

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I measured mine. They are marked 36 and measure 38". They are rather long. I wear mine above the navel to get them mid knee. I am 6'2". I believe the are 24". Most pictures show people wearing the below the knee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BjornBsrkr View Post
    After looking around the internet and getting at least three "official" answers from 5.11 on the sizing of the TDK, I called their customer service yesterday. I was told to "order the same size pants that you wear", which is not a very helpful answer considering that I don't own any 5.11 products and the ten pairs of pants I own are spread out over three different sizes! When I asked about the relationship between the size of the TDK and inches (who know, a more or less universal constant), I was then told to order whatever my waist measurement happens to be, but "there is no give in these kilts".

Oh well, I ordered one, nonetheless. Stay tuned for delivery next week. Let's just hope that I don't have to take advantage of the return policy!

Bjorn
    If you ordered your waist size, then you will probably have to return it. My waist measures 40" and a 38" TDK fits me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I snagged a "Burnt" color one this year. Due tomorrow and then I will see what color it really is

On the sizing issue, I haven't worn pants in almost 7 years, but I wear 33-34 inch kilts and the 30" TDK is a bit snug and the 32" is a bit loose. I ordered a 32 as it's better a bit loose with a belt.
    Last edited by tundramanq; 5th April 17 at 01:28 PM.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tundramanq View Post
    I snagged a "Burnt" color one this year. Due tomorrow and then I will see what color it really is

On the sizing issue, I haven't worn pants in almost 7 years, but I wear 33-34 inch kilts and the 30" TDK is a bit snug and the 32" is a bit loose. I ordered a 32 as it's better a bit loose with a belt.
    Well I'm going to have to return mine, I can already see. Due to arrive in a few days. I ordered my kilt waist size, 44. I wear a 38 pants size. I HATE returning stuff!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that "vanity sizing" on pants is 1-2 inches around the smaller waists and the lie gets bigger approaching 40 inches to a whopping 2-4 inches.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tundramanq For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: The "Burnt" color TDK is a chocolate brown. It was hard to make out on the site, I wasn't sure if it was dark green, gray or brown. The 2015 "Battle Brown" is about 6 shades lighter in color. This is nearer the color of the UPS guys uniforms.
    Last edited by tundramanq; 9th April 17 at 08:37 AM.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5.11 tactical kilt

Purchased on on Monday and anxious for delivery. If I like it will order a couple more and they will be my summer work wear here at my veterinary clinic in Florida.
    I own 8 pair of their tactical pants and shorts. If the quality is the same, which I have no reason to,think otherwise, am excited for this find.
    Be well and happy,
    Doc Canary
    Please take a look at my photoblog.
    http://www.doccanary.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My TDK Multicam arrived today! (or more correctly, I found the time to drive to the US and pick it up today). First impressions are favorable. It is well stitched together and the material, stiff right now, looks solid. The "waist" size turned out to be spot on. I wear 48 pants, 52 inch kilts and the TDK in 50 fits perfectly. The length, as others have mentioned, is on the long side. I measure it as 25 inches total. While that is almost perfect in the back, it is about 4 inches too long in the front (yes, I tend to wear my kilts with the waist off horizontal). Photos to follow once Mrs. Bsrkr has a chance to do some alterations.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No pleats in the back

After doing some more research, I confirmed what was mentioned earlier, and that is that the TDK is not designed like a traditional or utility kilt. It does have an apron in the front and six pleats on each side, but where the pleats would be in the back on a regular kilt is another apron.

So, instead of getting one of these I think I am going to get another utility kilt in a tan or gray or have a traditional kilt made, maybe by Steve, from a solid tan or gray material instead of a tartan.
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to lschwartz For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast