X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Encouragement?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Encouragement?

So I've ordered AotK. I've downloaded the Box Pleat appendices. In 2002-2003 I machine stitched a number of kilts, including a box pleat with matching bias cut weskit and a reverse kingussie (because I misunderstood the description of a kingussie pleat I read). When I was a child I could quilt 16 stitches to the inch.

I have 2.2 yds of double width 12oz wool with a 5" sett from Gordon Kirkbright. I want to hand sew a box pleat kilt, pleated to sett using 1.5 setts per pleat.

I haven't hand sewed anything more than a button and the occasional piece of leather in 2 decades. I darn the occasional sock on an egg I made when I was 12.

And yet I am daunted at the task ahead. If anyone has positive waves to send my way as I hand stitch my first kilt, please send them. Is it going to look like garbage, or is it like a bicycle?
    Last edited by Bamamedic; 1st April 17 at 06:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'll be fine!!

Hi Bamamedic,

It looks like you have the necessary skills and experience to push the needle through your tartan material, no sweat. But I agree, it can be quite daunting to embark on such a different garment. You just need to follow the advice you will find in The Art of Kiltmaking; and there are our two Kilt Kamp tutors, Barb and Steve, who are both so keen to help and encourage. And I know there will be a swag of experienced kiltmakers ready to give you a shout on XMTS once Sunday dawns in the western hemisphere.

Take time over that first crucial phase of laying out of your two pieces of tartan, and especially working out your taper. Be methodical about that calculation - I even drew up a table that showed the measurement of each pleat before I started. But don't get into a stew over it! Because you are hand stitching, you have the luxury of being able to rip out any amount of stitching that you think is questionable, until you make it work. You can even rip it all out if you need to, and start all over again.

I says this with all the confidence of a gent whose previous experience extended solely to sewing the occasional button! And don't forget to show us the pictures when you've finished.
    Last edited by Grizzled Ian; 3rd April 17 at 01:27 AM.
    Grizzled Ian
    XMTS teaches much about formal kilt wear, but otherwise,
    ... the kilt is clothes, what you wear with it should be what you find best suits you and your lifestyle. (Anne the Pleater)
    "Sometimes, it is better not to know the facts" (Father Bill)

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Grizzled Ian For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you even know what a darning egg is you've got a leg up on your project. In construction (of anything) you decide the quality. Some things are built like a piano and some things like a chicken coop. Both things perform the function, but a coop doesn't need the detail to do the job. Take you time and you will get the finished product you envisioned when you lay out the fabric.

You'll be okay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it is worth... I have sewn with machine and by hand since I was a child. I have made garments of all sorts (many for reenacting but also modern) including tailoring a fully canvased tweed jacket. This said, I have also been afraid to do a kilt and have been daunted at the task of doing one. WELL... this past week I made my first kilt. It is a 4 yd. box pleat. It turned out remarkably well and was far easier than I expected. I am not working on pleating to do a second in a solid tweed just because I have the itch and excitement to do so after my first.

Short story long... YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
    Vestis virum reddit

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do it!! Just be patient, and take out whatever you aren't happy with. There are truly only two places where you can't recover from a goof by just taking out the stitching and doing it again.

Have you thought of coming up to Kilt Kamp this summer? It's in Upstate NY: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...details-91932/ If you're interested, PM me, and I'll email you a registration form!
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post: