X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quality is one thing... beyond that, I see two concerns... one is looks the other is usage. Does it need to look fancy, nice, traditional, etc.? Does it need to be functional? Both? I have a dislike of most sgeanan on the market and started making my own.
    Vestis virum reddit

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to IsaacW For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sgian is a sock accessory, if you want a quality knife then get a decent dirk instead. Chrome plating may sound cheap, but at a distance doesn't look much different to tinning or even silver and there will be few people beyond those with no legs who will really get to see your sgian up close.
    As others have said, decide what you really want it for. If it's only to stick into your sock then stick with something similar to what you have and upgrade (or get) a dirk instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damion View Post
    The sgian is a sock accessory, if you want a quality knife then get a decent dirk instead.
    I would like to offer a differing opinion. To me, a dirk is not a very utilitarian blade. It is far too big for anything other than cutting cake or stabbing men. I do neither of these often. Also, whereas a sgian dubh is a fairly acceptable item in modern society, a large dirk hanging from your belt is less “normal” in modern Highland attire. This said, I do like a nice dirk…

For me, a 3” sgian dubh blade (if a proper and sharp one, not the ornamental rubbish often sold) is a fine size for slicing an apple, cutting a rope, gralloching a deer, or dressing a grouse.

Again, to me this needs to meet your needs. Do you need a functioning blade or an ornament? Do you even need one?

Isaac
    Vestis virum reddit

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to IsaacW For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply's, some good looking ones out there. I maybe able to find something in my price range from Scotia.

I don't know how to quote multiple lines, but to McMurdo, who is Drac?

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Google Rab Gordon Sgian Dubhs. He lives alongside Loch Ness and makes a first rate product, some might consider his products to be a tad expensive, but I have yet to hear of a dis-satisfied customer.
    Yes, I've come across his site, and I'm not surprised at all that you haven't heard of a dis-satisfied customer, his work looks fantastic. Unfortunately, I don't have 700-800 or I would've gotten one already.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacW View Post
    I would like to offer a differing opinion. To me, a dirk is not a very utilitarian blade. It is far too big for anything other than cutting cake or stabbing men. I do neither of these often. Also, whereas a sgian dubh is a fairly acceptable item in modern society, a large dirk hanging from your belt is less “normal” in modern Highland attire. This said, I do like a nice dirk…

For me, a 3” sgian dubh blade (if a proper and sharp one, not the ornamental rubbish often sold) is a fine size for slicing an apple, cutting a rope, gralloching a deer, or dressing a grouse.

Again, to me this needs to meet your needs. Do you need a functioning blade or an ornament? Do you even need one?

Isaac
    Good point, I ALWAYS prefer a functioning blade, even if I almost never use it. I used to collect swords in my younger days, and hated the idea of a 'wall hanger'. 99% of the time, I have a swiss army knife in my pocket. While wearing a kilt, I won't have any pockets, so I suppose my sgian dubh would replace that.

For the purpose of my upcoming event, I would prefer one to look traditional, and nice. It doesn't have to be the absolute best of these adjectives, being 'real' is important to me. I very much dislike things created to imitate something else. I have seem to recently grown fond of the weaved look in the carving with studs, like this one http://www.lochnessorigins.com/sgian...mascus-sgwk14/ If I could afford it, I would probably buy that right now.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MJB For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same issue and ended up looking out for a vintage Sgian, found one at a local auction house, from 1860, and it is a beautiful thing.

As for utility although I keep an edge on it I also usually slip my Leatherman Squirt into my sporran in case I actually need a proper tool.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to mm42 For This Useful Post:

MJB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there, sorry to be a little late to the party. I agree that for many different reasons I am not enamoured with the range of sgian dubh found in most highland shops. For this reason, I have not purchased one yet. Here is one I found recently and is in serious consideration for my first sgian:
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/172599148343?....N36.S1.R1.TR1

Best of luck in your quest.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to plaid preacher For This Useful Post:

MJB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're are a lot of that regimental style kicking around since the Royal Regiment of Scotland was formed and they moved to the design with the lion and saltire. If it's real MOD issue, they are of a good quality.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to 48HofC For This Useful Post:

MJB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Google Rab Gordon Sgian Dubhs. He lives alongside Loch Ness and makes a first rate product, some might consider his products to be a tad expensive, but I have yet to hear of a dis-satisfied customer.
    I'll second Jock's recommendation of Rab Gordon's work. I commissioned a sgean from him several years ago and I couldn't be more pleased. It's truly of heirloom quality.image.jpeg
    Last edited by KD Burke; 8th April 17 at 06:06 AM.
    'A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. "

16. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to KD Burke For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KD Burke View Post
    I'll second Jock's recommendation of Rab Gordon's work. I commissioned a sgean from him several years ago and I couldn't be more pleased. It's truly of heirloom quality.image.jpeg
    Most definitely, his work is excellent. Unfortunately, I got in contact with him, and was quoted about 450 GBP which turns out to be close to 800 CAD which I can't afford at this time. One day...

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MJB For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast