X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Kilt Society website
The Scottish Trading Company Xmarks advertising information MacGregor and MacDuff Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What style are you looking for, MJB?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Micric View Post
    What style are you looking for, MJB?
    Something with a traditional style, black, I like the basket weave or similar look, and I also like the look of studded handles. I've come to realise that anything that looks traditional and is made of decent / decent looking materials is out of my price range.

If money wasn't an option I would get something like this: http://houseoflabhran.net/product/si...rs-sgian-dubh/

or a black/silver version of this: http://www.lochnessorigins.com/sgian...s-sgwj15-sold/

I have thought of maybe settling for something like this one: (https://www.landmhighland.ca/product...bh-with-studs/) which has a leather wrapped sheath, and there is a 'regimental' one on there too which I like, yet they say 'simulated handle' and 'highly polished mounts', which I don't even know what that means and I can't see them in person. I assume the handle has a decent look, but the fittings may look cheap.

If I had known some of the prices were so insane, I would have just order a blade and blank, and made one myself. I would even make my own silver fittings, as my girlfriend does some basic silver work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of those black-plastic-chrome-plated-glass-pommel sgian. It's a little dressier than the sgian I made myself, which is more of a utility knife. I wear it not so much because I like it, but rather a good friend from my military daze (he was Navy, I Army) gave it to me after having made a port call in Scotland, about 35 years ago. I've kept it to honour the friendship and remember him. He died of cancer some years back.

I prefer something with a little more utility, but at least it's not as odd-seeming to me as the dress "sporrans" I've seen that were just fur on a backing board (no opening) or the dress "sgian" I've seen that were simply a molded handle on a plastic strip that slipped down into the sock. I've used this sgian to cut a particularly troublesome neck seal on a bottle of whisky, so I've actually used it for some life-saving purpose. I can't ask much more than that out of it!

I tend to like "honest" items that can be used, though I have no objection to them looking fancy. How "honest," you ask? (Go ahead, I'll wait...)

Thanks! Great question! My next sgian project is one of the class of "Sgian Don't" -- the famed Sgian Brew. It's "honest" in that it can be put to practical use. "Honest" because it's gonna darn sure get used. A bit of humour and misdirection still seems sufficiently honest to me. Might have to make several and make sure they get put in the truck, on the bike, and in the kitchen. I'm always opening beer bottles...

So to the OP's question -- find a good, well-made one and wear it with pride. I really like the ones Steve put up earlier in the thread. Or, if time's no object (or later once things quiet down a little), you and your lady collaborate on a nice silver-mounted sgian. Or a set: dirk and sgian dubh with matching furniture. I can see a nice big colourful Fairburn Agate pommel. That'd be cool.
    Dr. Charles A. Hays
    The Kilted Perfesser
    Laird in Residence, Blathering-at-the-Lectern

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Old Hippie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think $100 for the kind of sgian you're looking for is a little optimistic. That said, check this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19th-Century...-/272293186812

There are a few different models and all look good for the money. I've considered buying one of their dirks, but the shipping is a little high. Of all the dodgy looking Indian and Pakistani dirks and sgians floating around, these are the best "budget" options I've seen. I'm sort of surprised that there aren't more vendors selling these; I'd love to know where they're getting them.

Another option is to keep checking auction sites and searching for terms like "skene doo" and variant spellings or under dirk listings - it often indicates a seller that hasn't done their homework and can lead to some deals. I got my dad an exceptional silver Forsyth sgian for $100 a few years ago that had been listed as a dirk. I'd say $250 - $350 can get you a nice vintage sgian on most days.

As for a sgian that'll work for something more challenging than the odd haggis evisceration, there are a lot of molded handle models from the 70's and 80's with Sheffield blades that can hold an edge.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Piobair For This Useful Post:

MJB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also check out Southern Swords, a UK based company, they have that very same SD that Piobair posted for a bit less. I have ordered from them before here in the states and had no problems at all.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piobair View Post
    I think $100 for the kind of sgian you're looking for is a little optimistic. That said, check this out:
    It's not so much that I'm expecting all that for $100, it's more that the quality you typically get for $100 seems like it should be half of that. I think I mentioned earlier, I used to collect swords. I've got my hands on some with much higher quality than a plastic handle and plastic scabbard for far less than $800. So it kind of boggles my mind on the prices of some of these.

I'm basically looking to spend a bit more than $100 to get something of half decent quality, but most seem to still have a very cheap look up until you get into the $500 range.

However, my immediate search for a sgian of wedding purposes is over. I recently ordered one from Ian Grant of Edinburgh. It has complete silver fittings, studs in the handle, and it's not leather wrapped, but leatherette wrapped (which is still not leather, but 100x better than hard plastic made to look like leather, also keeps Adrienne happy that it is not dead cow). It came to about $300 CAD Which is a little over my budget. For a bit cheaper I could have gotten plated brass fitting which would be much more intricate than the plated pewter (the plating is nickel or 'antique silver'). Hopefully I am not disappointed. http://www.iangrantofedinburgh.com/i...roducts_id=256

I was very close to picking up a vintage (50s-60s regimental) off House of Labhran, which would've been about $550, and quite a bit over what I originally budgeted. Which actually lead me to another question. Would it be in bad taste to wear, say, a vintage Black Watch, Cameron Highlanders, or Argyll & Sutherland regimental sgian as a civilian?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJB View Post

I was very close to picking up a vintage (50s-60s regimental) off House of Labhran, which would've been about $550, and quite a bit over what I originally budgeted. Which actually lead me to another question. Would it be in bad taste to wear, say, a vintage Black Watch, Cameron Highlanders, or Argyll & Sutherland regimental sgian as a civilian?
    I don't think it is bad taste at all. You are remembering the regiment, whether or not you actually served in it. You could ask the same question about wearing an A & S regimental striped tie, which I do on occasion. I happen to like the look, and many of my clansmen served in the old Sutherland Highlanders. I have worn the tie in Scotland without anyone taking exception.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two proper sgians and both are wood handled with real leather sheaths. I paid $65 US for a used one, and $50 for one that the maker was wanting to unload. The more expensive of the two has chrome fittings and the lesser, nickle silver. Neither has any stones or decorative accents beyond the essentials. Strangely enough the $65 one had a far cheaper blade that was obviously intended for show as the shiny finish recently began chipping away. My cheaper one was bought from a reenactment boutique and the other at a flea market. Not sure where this was going other than you're best off looking into a custom.
    Gloria Patri! Thither Yond! Jeremiah! Do-lang Do-lang! (All things I have shouted in a charge.) http://www.orderoftherouseclan.proboards.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sgian Dubhs

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Google Rab Gordon Sgian Dubhs. He lives alongside Loch Ness and makes a first rate product, some might consider his products to be a tad expensive, but I have yet to hear of a dis-satisfied customer.
    I' m the proud owner of a Rab Gordon Sgian Dudh, could not be happier this given to me as Christmas gift, she says that he was very helpfull and obliging. I's wood handle made of African Blackwood, blade is 420 stainless steel,fitting are sterling silver with a Sutherland Greenstone

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dirk95 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rab Gordon

I have to agree, i use Rabs products in my own Sgian Dubhs and have never been disappointed. His Sgian Dubh's are high quality items that are worth the extra spend.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Chris Lesutis For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast