X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sgian Dubh

Is there alot of emphasis placed on the Sgian Dubh, I read on here some do and some don't. I bought my first kilt about 40 years ago and I purchased a sgian also, I think I give $20 dollars for it. It is a cheap replica , but it doesn't look that bad I think, the blade is not sharp , about the thickness of a kitchen knife, if you slipped with it you definitely would not cut yourself, but you might bruise yourself with it. I just wear it to make the outfit seem real, here in Missouri people would not know the difference, not bad mouthing any one, they just wouldn't notice or care. The big fashion here is a new pair of Levis. Ha, ha. I hear the term vintage associated with the Sgian, we would call that antiques here. So I assume that you can buy a vintage Sgian there in the UK. And how would you know if you were getting the real or one that looks vintage. Bare with me, I am on new ground here, just trying to expand my knowledge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a plastic fake one, if at all.

Knife laws here vary by township.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lewtherin View Post
    Is there alot of emphasis placed on the Sgian Dubh, I read on here some do and some don't. I bought my first kilt about 40 years ago and I purchased a sgian also, I think I give $20 dollars for it. It is a cheap replica , but it doesn't look that bad I think, the blade is not sharp , about the thickness of a kitchen knife, if you slipped with it you definitely would not cut yourself, but you might bruise yourself with it. I just wear it to make the outfit seem real, here in Missouri people would not know the difference, not bad mouthing any one, they just wouldn't notice or care. The big fashion here is a new pair of Levis. Ha, ha. I hear the term vintage associated with the Sgian, we would call that antiques here. So I assume that you can buy a vintage Sgian there in the UK. And how would you know if you were getting the real or one that looks vintage. Bare with me, I am on new ground here, just trying to expand my knowledge
    If we exclude the term "vintage" in the wine sense, then the term is, I think, overused and misunderstood. As a rough guide, many in the UK use the term "antique" as meaning over 100 years old and the term "vintage" as anything over 60 years old but less than 100. Items of over a 100 years old are not necessarily considered "old" in the case of arms, furniture, silver, artwork, etc. in the UK. In fact we are now seeing terms such as "new old"(100 plus years) and "old old" (around 2/300 plus years) being used. All very vague I am afraid, but it gives you an idea.

Silver in the UK has "hallmarks" usually. Without hallmarks the item may well be silver but it cannot be sold as silver, by law. These hallmarks will tell you the date, maker, and where the item was stamped. Google, British silver hallmarks, for a better explanation.

So if your SD has hallmarks on the metal furniture(not the blade), you will be able to find out the age and who made it and if the metal has hallmarks then its a pretty good chance that you have a good quality item. However, there are quality blades and metal work in SD form too without hallmarks and one has to rely on luck and experience with those!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 29th May 17 at 10:49 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was in Scotland in the 1980s I came across a sgian exactly like this in a random shop.

It was the equivalent of around $100. Real wood handle, leather-covered wood sheath, German Silver mounts, steel blade. It was traditionally made, elegant, and inexpensive. (It was new, not used.)

It's the same as was worn by the pipers of certain regiments.

(Photo from the House Of Labhran site.)

I sold it ages ago. Here's the one I wear now, only with this kit

Last edited by OC Richard; 31st May 17 at 07:19 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Holcombe Thomas View Post
    I can recommend Mike McRae at Scotia Metalworks. http://www.scotiametalwork.com
    Thanks for that! Some lovely handmade sginean (the plural of sgian) and very reasonable prices.

I really like this one. I've never seen a handle carved like that, yet it feels "old" somehow. It's only $160.

Last edited by OC Richard; 31st May 17 at 07:31 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Holcombe Thomas View Post
    As a customer, I can recommend Mike McRae at Scotia Metalworks. Mike's website is http://www.scotiametalwork.com. He makes lovely knives.

Holcombe
    I actually live about 10 minutes down the road from the address listed on his site. Have never had fortune to buy from him. Hopefully that will change.

If you're not worried about overly traditional looks, Etsy is REALLY good for independent knife-makers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought both a Dirk and Sgian Dubhs from Scotia Arms. I paid a very fair price, and am very happy with the product. Mike is a great guy to deal with, and through the business exchange he and I still talk on occasion, so I consider him a friend now.

Go to his website, you have a variation in prices and product, but one thing, the quality is constant, excellent craftsmanship, again I am very happy with my choice....
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234