X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quality of Sgian Dubhs

I've been looking around for a new sgian dubh for my wedding. As I'm looking, i realize that I've never been overly fond of the one that I have; the typical $70-$80 black with fitting and a 'stone' top (which is actually like glass or something).

I have come across some very nice ones, but they're going for 300-600 GBP which is insane. All the ones even in the $100 range, just have something about them; cheap, tacky, imitation... something like that. The fittings are typically chrome plated, which is something I prefer on my car over 'sartorial accessories' (if that's even a proper phrase). The 'stone' is made of glass or hard plastic, the sheath is some kind of plastic textured to look like leather, and I'm assuming the handles are typically not real wood.

Am I in the minority here? these things are all over the place, its driving me nuts to find one at a decent price that isn't made of 3 or 4 different kinds of faux something or other. Why do they even bother? if you're going to use plastic and resin, then make it look like its made with plastic and resin, don't make it have a fake wood or fake leather look to it.

I've seriously considered getting a kit and having a go at making one myself. Now I've recently come across some in the $150 CAD range which actually has a leather wrapping on the sheath, they don't describe the materials of handle or fittings, but I assume they're pewter with some type of plating, and I doubt the handle is wood. I may end up getting one of those but I feel like I'm not really getting my moneys worth. Even for something like $400 I can get some sterling silver fitting and leather wrapped sheath, but I still don't think the handle will even be wood.

Maybe my tastes are just too expensive for my own good. Are some of the ones I've mentioned actually better quality than I think? What do all of you typically have for 'dress' occasions?

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MJB For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a customer, I can recommend Mike McRae at Scotia Metalworks. Mike's website is http://www.scotiametalwork.com. He makes lovely knives.

Holcombe

4. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to Holcombe Thomas For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one I carry on all occasions is a Gordon Highlanders pattern. It has full silver mounts, real stone, and the handle is hand carved blackthorn. The sheath is leather covered wood with silver mounts as well. I wanted quality and quality costs no matter what the product is. Today they go for about 500-700 GBP depending on where you purchase them.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to 48HofC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJB View Post
    Maybe my tastes are just too expensive for my own good. Are some of the ones I've mentioned actually better quality than I think? What do all of you typically have for 'dress' occasions?
    I have this, not just with modern Scottish dress accessories, but English shotguns, bamboo fly rods and a sum greater than the GDP of some African countries tied up in reproductions of 18th Century dirks, swords and the like......

Now when it comes to a small knife, unless you plan on pulling it out to cut something, It might be better to spend money on something vintage that is actual stone and hallmarked sterling silver vice an expensive glass and chrome piece.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Holcombe Thomas View Post
    As a customer, I can recommend Mike McRae at Scotia Metalworks. Mike's website is http://www.scotiametalwork.com. He makes lovely knives.

Holcombe
    I second Holcombe's recommendation. Here is my sgian dubh that Mike made. A silver celtic dragon on rosewood with a steel blade.

Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a sgian dubh that my girlfriend's grandfather made. I was honoured to be given it shortly before his death. It features silver fittings, a cairngorm stone leather sheath and an ebony handle.

I bought this one from Drac for my nephew on his wedding, it's a modern take on the sgian dubh but Drac's work is excellent and his prices are fair.

Last edited by McMurdo; 3rd April 17 at 09:18 PM.

12. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google Rab Gordon Sgian Dubhs. He lives alongside Loch Ness and makes a first rate product, some might consider his products to be a tad expensive, but I have yet to hear of a dis-satisfied customer.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

14. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving to "Weapons" sub-forum

Father Bill
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry these Sgian in my shop.

Real antler with bull horn inserts. I'm told the horn is a natural anti-persperant so your leg does not sweat.

Real leather sheath sewn nice and strong.
    Real Damascus steel blade that arrives sharp but not honed.

Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

17. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast