X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First crack at traditional outfit

I'd like to get a little feedback on my first attempt at a traditional look.

I just threw it on at this point to see how it looked so forgive any wrinkles. The jacket needs to be pressed, the shirt ironed, and the shoes polished.

I thought it looked quite smart though but I am probably biased.

2. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, looks pretty good to me! The jacket seems large - sleeves and body length a bit much, but I love the cloth. Kilt at a reasonable height, good choice of hose and shoes. I don't think I see garters, but they won't be missed if the hose stay up. (If you don't have and you're buying, get self-ties - they're much more stylish and appropriate in my mind.) I don't see a sghian either, but it you don't have one, you don't need one. If you want one, WAIT and buy a nice one when you can afford it. Good tie and length on it, decent sporran at a decent height - perhaps just a tad low, but not wrong in any way. Nice tie at a nice length, and the collar and colour of the shirt are very appropriate.

The conservative over-all picture looks good to me. We can nit-pick (and probably will) but it looks like you're on your way! Well done, lad!
    Last edited by Father Bill; 8th April 17 at 08:34 AM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, laddie!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Actually, looks pretty good to me! The jacket seems large - sleeves and body length a bit much, but I love the cloth. Kilt at a reasonable height, good choice of hose and shoes. I don't think I see garters, but they won't be missed if the hose stay up. (If you don't have and you're buying, get self-ties - they're much more stylish and appropriate in my mind.) I don't see a sghian either, but it you don't have one, you don't need one. If you want one, WAIT and buy a nice one when you can afford it. Good tie and length on it, decent sporran at a decent height - perhaps just a tad low, but not wrong in any way. Nice tie at a nice length, and the collar and colour of the shirt are very appropriate.

The conservative over-all picture looks good to me. We can nit-pick (and probably will) but it looks like you're on your way! Well done, lad!
    Thanks for the advice!

The jacket was a bit of an experiment. I had it made by a company in India that does made to measure clothes (I have linen suit from them that I got when I was in my friend's wedding). It's actually Italian linen and I agree that the sleeves are a touch long but otherwise the fit is pretty good. The overall length was based on the measurement to the seat of my kilt which I found online for ordering argyle jackets so maybe it's a function of my proportions? But the length is fine on me and the pleats sway freely.

I'm actually really happy with the jacket and had been unsure how it was going to turn iut but it gets so hot here that tweed isn't an option except for the coldest part of winter. I may have the sleeves shortened but it also seems that kilt jackets tend to have longer sleeves based on photos I've seen here. So perhaps just a touch shorter.

There are flashes but they are a dark red so maybe the light is making them blend into the hose. I'll see about wearing the sporran a bit higher too. That's just the kind of experienced advice I need. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks rather good for a first try, to the finer points, sure the sleeves could be shortened, but what caught my eye was the lack of sporran cut out. The jacket simply looks like a regular sport coat to me. I can't tell where the fell of the kilt is compared with the bottom of the jacket, I was also wondering as I can not see the back if you had a centre vent or two side vents? Traditionally with a kilt jacket it would be with two side vents. Everything else looks great from the the hose to the sporran, well done.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    It looks rather good for a first try, to the finer points, sure the sleeves could be shortened, but what caught my eye was the lack of sporran cut out. The jacket simply looks like a regular sport coat to me. I can't tell where the fell of the kilt is compared with the bottom of the jacket, I was also wondering as I can not see the back if you had a centre vent or two side vents? Traditionally with a kilt jacket it would be with two side vents. Everything else looks great from the the hose to the sporran, well done.
    Great point about the sporran cut. I requested one and there is a very, very, slight cut but it's certainly not enough. Especially as I want to get a full mask sporran at some point and will want to show it off. That and the sleeves are in the docket for tailoring right now.

The jacket is double vented. My intention was to have a crail jacket like the style prince Charles is regularly seen in.

Can you explain the thing about the fell of the kilt in relation to the jacket? Is that a factor of the sporran cut?

Thanks for the feedback by the way.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fell is where the pleats start, traditionally a kilt jacket ends there to ensure the kilt moves properly, if the jacket is too long, it inhibits the movement of the pleats.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, the outfit looks very good! That said, i'm still learning - but one of the things i have been learning is "what do I have that goes with a kilt". I take McMurdo's point, a cut away is good..but there are many historic photos that show what appears to be a regular cut jacket and they look rather good, as does yours.
    I have a regular sport jacket that is "short" that I've wondered about donning with the kilt. Seeing your outfit, think its time i just wear it!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also incorporate a pastel green shirt (keeping everything else as is) and this look would be smashing. I think the shirt sleeve length and jacket cuff could be hemmed 1/2 inch and fit your arm (even with a bent elbow).

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    You could also incorporate a pastel green shirt (keeping everything else as is) and this look would be smashing. I think the shirt sleeve length and jacket cuff could be hemmed 1/2 inch and fit your arm (even with a bent elbow).
    You don't think that would be too much green? I think you're likely correct on the sleeves. I have the shirt cuffs on the wider placement so they should probably be tightened anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast