X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antler Buttons?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Antler Buttons?

This is not so much a how to, in the first post, but perhaps it will turn into one. If a Moderator feels this should be someplace else, feel free to move.

Looking at hole saws, in smaller sizes, 1/2, 3/4 and 7/8th inch, ones that do not have a centering bit in them. Seems that if you had these saws, and a bunch of shed antler laying around, you could drill completely thru an antler, and then that circular piece inside the saw could be made into a pair of buttons, drilling 2 or 4 holes, or even installing a metal shank.

Has anyone done this? Ive got a few sheds that I have picked up that I could perfect the process before procuring actual European stag antlers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use a hole saw with center bit to drill a hole in a piece of 3/4" or thicker plywood. Remove center bit from hole saw. Clamp plywood to area you want to drill. Put hole saw in pre drilled hole....done.

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to kiltedcontractor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have thought about trying this a million times but have not. Anyway, you all (mainly MacGillie) made me do it...

Vestis virum reddit

5. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to IsaacW For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd not considered boring antler to cut the core into buttons - but had looked at the elk antler a friend's dog was chewing on the other day and figured could get a few buttons from each point by cutting laterally. Not very expensive at all at the pet shop, and the remnants would go to good use by the dog.

Nicely done, Issac

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always wondered about doing this as well. I have a ton of antler sheds, and could make a whole bunch of these if I ever had the time or inclination to do so. My thought would be to remove the centering bit from the hole saw, clamp the antler in my drill press, and then cut. Each cylinder would produce two buttons, once the center portion is removed. I'd make a jig to hold the buttons for drilling the thread holes in the drill press as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacW View Post
    I have thought about trying this a million times but have not. Anyway, you all (mainly MacGillie) made me do it...
    Those look good Isaac. Having drilled antler sheds myself (for other reasons), I gotta ask... How many hole saws/bits did you burn up?
    Tulach Ard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacKenzie View Post
    Those look good Isaac. Having drilled antler sheds myself (for other reasons), I gotta ask... How many hole saws/bits did you burn up?

I have made a good pile of them now. I have a hole saw bit for each size (2 sizes) and have not burnt one up yet.
    Vestis virum reddit

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to IsaacW For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a technical note, my questions would be, what belt setting was your drill press and was this a dry or wet drilling of the antler buttons? If you did this with a hand drill, your skill surpasses my patience level and steadiness of hand. I commend you on the quality of work.
    Last edited by Tarheel; 8th June 17 at 10:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first set were done with a hand drill, the others I used a drill press (just "invested" in one). The bits are diamond. Cutting was done dry on older dry antlers (some shot, some shed). Speed was a medium to faster speed but I went slow with it.
    Vestis virum reddit

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to IsaacW For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a photo of one of the bits. I took this photo when doing the first batch.

Vestis virum reddit

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to IsaacW For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast