X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    Understand. from what I can read this is called the Scottish Wilderness, and you cannot get to Knoydart by car, must take ferry or hike in. Knoydart is a very isolated place. The Catholic Church burned several years ago, many records were destroyed. Do you know if records, like marriage, death, birth for Knowdart are available in Inverness? Do you know where? Looking to find contact to help with ancestor research. Thanks
    I have no idea if any records were saved from the fire and if any were, I have no idea where they might reside now. A word with the public records office in Inverness might be worth a try and if they do not have them they may know of their whereabouts.

Rex has come up with helpful suggestions.

Yes Knoydart is a rugged place and I used to go deer stalking there in my youth and I cannot remember when I was last there. When you go, ALWAYS take wet weather gear, warm clothes and sensible footwear and between May and October midge repellant and a midge hat. A good pair of binoculars would also be a good idea. The ferry(a stout converted fishing boat) is the easiest way to get in, from Mallaig to Inverie and no room for cars and from memory it takes about 45 minutes -----on a calm day! I have had many a fine meal at the pub there and some of the sing songs in the evenings are legendary. There are some estate vehicles there such as Argocats and perhaps the tracks have improved , but I would not bet on it!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 9th May 17 at 12:11 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all, as all this information is extremely helpful. My luck that my ancestors herald from such a desolate, and isolated location. From the photos I can see on line, it certainly is a beautiful place, but seems like is snows, rains, and is overcast. Without a doubt I will dress for the trip when I go.

So this is what I know about my ancestors. Around 1670 Samuel MacDonald of Lochaber, married Joanna Huet of Knoidart. They settled in Knoidart where they had four children. Samuel MacDonald was one of the sons on John MacDonald, who was a Colonel in the Jacobite Army, and was on of the commanders of the Jacobite Cavalry. In the 1680's the family was imprisoned at Fort Williams, where John, the father died, Samuel was eventually freed, but lost all rights to own land. The children were expelled during the Highland Clearance. Left in 1689 on Brigantine Nora, where the ended up in Nova Scotia. Problem is I do not have birth or death dates, nor do I know how many children John had or his wife's name. So still have a lot more info to gather if I can.

So I want to visit Lochaber also, I am sure they might have records there, as that is where John MacDonald came from and had his family. Samuel is my 7th grandfather. All of this is very interesting..... Thanks again for the information, I hope to retire in a year or so, and my first trip will be to Scotland....Cheers.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

MacRob is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    Thank you all, as all this information is extremely helpful. My luck that my ancestors herald from such a desolate, and isolated location. From the photos I can see on line, it certainly is a beautiful place, but seems like is snows, rains, and is overcast. Without a doubt I will dress for the trip when I go.

So this is what I know about my ancestors. Around 1670 Samuel MacDonald of Lochaber, married Joanna Huet of Knoidart. They settled in Knoidart where they had four children. Samuel MacDonald was one of the sons on John MacDonald, who was a Colonel in the Jacobite Army, and was on of the commanders of the Jacobite Cavalry. In the 1680's the family was imprisoned at Fort Williams, where John, the father died, Samuel was eventually freed, but lost all rights to own land. The children were expelled during the Highland Clearance. Left in 1689 on Brigantine Nora, where the ended up in Nova Scotia. Problem is I do not have birth or death dates, nor do I know how many children John had or his wife's name. So still have a lot more info to gather if I can.

So I want to visit Lochaber also, I am sure they might have records there, as that is where John MacDonald came from and had his family. Samuel is my 7th grandfather. All of this is very interesting..... Thanks again for the information, I hope to retire in a year or so, and my first trip will be to Scotland....Cheers.
    Let me help you with a couple of things in your statement that need to be reconsidered as far as timelines go:
    1. It is not likely that John MacDonald, father of Samuel was in the Jacobite cavalry prior to 1689 as there were no Jacobites until around 1688 when James II was thrown off the throne and left Britain. At least that is not what they called themselves. If you have records which say otherwise I will certainly bow to superior information on that score. It is also not likely that his whole family would have been imprisoned at Fort William, which was not built before 1690, which is about the time its construction began. The custom was to imprison the offender but not his whole family unless they were somehow involved in an unlawful enterprise. Perhaps your dates are off. It is Fort William, not Williams.
    2. The Highland Clearances did not begin, in earnest, until the early 19th century so 1689 is not when they would have left Scotland, at least for that reason. Perhaps that is just a misstatement in the history.

Hope this helps some.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacRob View Post
    Let me help you with a couple of things in your statement that need to be reconsidered as far as timelines go:
    1. It is not likely that John MacDonald, father of Samuel was in the Jacobite cavalry prior to 1689 as there were no Jacobites until around 1688 when James II was thrown off the throne and left Britain. At least that is not what they called themselves. If you have records which say otherwise I will certainly bow to superior information on that score. It is also not likely that his whole family would have been imprisoned at Fort William, which was not built before 1690, which is about the time its construction began. The custom was to imprison the offender but not his whole family unless they were somehow involved in an unlawful enterprise. Perhaps your dates are off. It is Fort William, not Williams.
    2. The Highland Clearances did not begin, in earnest, until the early 19th century so 1689 is not when they would have left Scotland, at least for that reason. Perhaps that is just a misstatement in the history.

Hope this helps some.

Yes, just points out I was 100 years off, It should have been 1700 not 1600 as I stated. Sorry for confusion, I messed up...thank you for pointing this rather stupid mistake out to me.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123