X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anniversary of Culloden

Later today I will be tipping a dram to those who fought bravely on this day. Join me if you like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1146.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	30674

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mrs Jock and I had occasion to be at a fairly modest birthday drinks do yesterday in the Highlands of Scotland and a very happy occasion it was. Anyway, on the way home Mrs. Jock in the course of conversation made two very interesting observations. Some of you outwith these shores may be interested.

Firstly, none of the males, perhaps 20/25 of us, were wearing the kilt. I could easily have chosen to do so and so could many others, but for whatever reason, we males chose not to. An unusual event, given the people attending the party.

Secondly, not one mention of Culloden. This was interesting as I noticed that as well. It has never been an event around here to be enthused about, but considering that there were at least three guests whose ancestors were present at the battle one might have thought the event might have had a mention, but seemingly not.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 17th April 17 at 01:14 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were visiting the wife's family in Michigan for Easter. Two of the nephews heavily identify as Irish and plan a trip later this year. My sister-in-law watches that TV show Outlander. I explained just a little and that there were some Irish there. I showed them the toast of passing the drink over a cup of water. Just a brief history lesson they seemed to enjoy.
    Last edited by KMCMICHAEL; 17th April 17 at 05:51 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry double post
    Last edited by KMCMICHAEL; 17th April 17 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Double

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock, to me as a Canadian who like many of my country-folk, knows many of the arcane and obscure bits of Canadian history and has a perhaps heightened awareness of the history of those nations who were the earlier foundations of what we are today, the relative disinterest you seem to be describing among Scots in their own history is mildly puzzling. You have occasionally asked why we aren't primarily interested in identifying as Canadian. We and we do, but what you have described in the way you have described it, sounds at first thought to me as quiet non-indentification - not in terms of not being kilted, but in terms of it not being a passing mention in discussion.

Such does not seem to be the case here, so it's interestingly different to me. History seems more important to Canadians than what you describe in Scotland where you have so much of it to love and to find fascinating.

Maybe that's why we, with so little history comparatively, look with such strong interest to the history of the nations that were our progenitors.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    History seems more important to Canadians than what you describe in Scotland where you have so much of it to love and to find fascinating.
    Maybe that's why we, with so little history comparatively, look with such strong interest to the history of the nations that were our progenitors.

Bill,
    In Scotland, in ordinary discourse, history can rapidly become politics and so tends to be avoided. Thus, Scottish history cannot be taught in schools in any serious way and most people know little about it.

Alan

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect, Bill, that few at the party would not know the date and its significance if they thought about it and I am quite sure that some will certainly have done-------as I had, but making a fuss is not our way.

I think almost any date in the year has some significance in British history, so making a song and dance every day over this or that battle, defeat, treaty, murder, revolution, plot, discovery, significant birthday would get more than a tad tedious, so I suppose yesterday was just another anniversary to most of us. Of course we all have our own specific dates as priorities that we quietly remember. For me, 18 June 1815, 1 July 1916, August/September 1940, 6 June 1944 are significant to me and others, but not everyone will choose those dates and I don't expect them to.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Useful comments to me in understanding what's happening here. I hope that mine are as helpful to you two.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    For me, 18 June 1815, 1 July 1916, August/September 1940, 6 June 1944 are significant to me and others, but not everyone will choose those dates and I don't expect them to.
    Jock,
    Waterloo, Somme, Battle of Britain, Normandy landings...what a warlike fellow you are.
    I would go for 8 May 1945 because I can actually remember the rejoicing.

Alan

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post
    Jock,
    Waterloo, Somme, Battle of Britain, Normandy landings...what a warlike fellow you are.
    I would go for 8 May 1945 because I can actually remember the rejoicing.

Alan
    I am from a fairly warlike family! I remember 8 May 1945 well, I could not understand what everyone was celebrating for, as my, as yet unmet, father was still fighting in the Far East. It was a rather an unsettling time for me. My personal end of that war was when my father returned home much, much later.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast