X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Kilt Society website
The Scottish Trading Company Xmarks advertising information MacGregor and MacDuff Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Join Date
    11th July 05
    Location
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The graphic of the 42nd Officer is interesting. He appears to be a pre-1759 company officer (no lapels or bastion-loop lace). The apparent blue waistcoat is interesting, as is the bonnet (which has a diced band and is apparently cocked/stiffened - this is a detail that we associate with the 42nd's post-1768 uniform). Unfortunately, there are no views of the officer's tartan. Of course, the amalgamation of 1/42nd and 2/42nd after the latter came to North America, and the Board of General Officers-approved uniform changes for the regiment meant that this uniform was a short-lived one for 2/42nd officers. I presume Col McCullogh covers it in his book, but Capt Stewart's order book describes in some detail the preparation of new uniforms for the 42nd during the spring/summer of 1759, when the entire regiment went into blue facings, bastion-loop lace and lapeled uniform coats. Up to that point, members of the old 1/42nd had coats with pointed lace loops, no lapels and buff collars and cuffs, even though the regiment had been made "Royal" in the summer of 1758. That word didn't reach the 1/42nd until after their new annual uniform issue in the old pattern had reached it and been provided to the troops.

    Luke, you are right about regimental officers apparently flaunting the King's dress regulations in some respects. From my reading on the subject, I have come to the conclusion that British officers (including those in Highland regiments) cared more about what their Colonel wanted them to wear for dress as opposed to what the King and his Board of General Officers had approved. If they were in workaday undress, the officers apparently had even more discretion as to the details of their uniforms.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    26th September 05
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    349
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orvis,

    The thing is, we really don't have Stewart's orderly books, we only have an extract transcription done in 1947 of information that was incorporated into Wallace's article "Regimental Routine and Army Administration in North America in 1759" that was published in the Spring 1952 issue of JSAHR.

    I dont know if your copy has the following on the last page:

    "Extracts*from*the*Order*books*of*Capt.*James*Stewa rts*Company*Royal*Highland* Regiment,* 1759*61,*originals*in*The*Black*Watch*Museum,*Pert h,*Scotland.* * With*compliments*to*Col.*P.P.*Hutchinson,*E.D.,*K. C.,*Montreal.* * From*Wm.*B.*Wilson,* The*Black*Watch*Museum,* Perth.

    I*swear*that*these*are*authentic*extracts*from*the *above*mentioned*Order*books*(4).* * (SGD)*W.B.*Wilson,* Pitlochry,* 23.12.47"


    There are a total of 4 orderly books that Stewart kept. We just have a snippet. Those orderly books are in the BW Regimental museum, but to the best of my knowledge, not been photographed the way Stewart's QM book have been, which I somehow was blessed with a copy of all those photographs!

    Im of the mind that outside of the Grenadier company, the 42nd did not have laced regimentals till 61, after the censure by the Clothing Board.

    That is based on this orderly book entry as well as looking at every known painting, engraving and drawing of men of the regiment, the only one that shows lace is Morier.........

    Montreal 27 th April 1761. Reg tl Orders.
    The tailors to be employed in altering the mens waistcoats according to the pattern of last year but to make them longer in the body and the button*holes broader in order to correspond the better with the lace on the new clothing. Such men who have spare waistcoats are to have theirs altered first, beginning with the oldest company, afterwards as the season grows warmer the men who have one waistcoat may more conveniently spare them, as they will be altered in one day. Such men who have no sufficient waistcoats of any kind, must wait till the arrival of the clothing in order to have their old coates converted into waistcoats.


    Also, the whole Company grade vice field grade thing for lapels, that is something that flows from the mind of someone in Osprey land, Ensign Grant of the 77th, his tailor bill specifies lapels, as well as a white waistcoat when he had his uniforms made up in 57.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    26th September 05
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    349
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cutting and pasting that one passage from the pdf certainly added a lot of *'s to the post.....

    That's some embedded security feature, not me trying to add emphasis

  4. #14
    Join Date
    11th July 05
    Location
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    Orvis,

    The thing is, we really don't have Stewart's orderly books, we only have an extract transcription done in 1947 of information that was incorporated into Wallace's article "Regimental Routine and Army Administration in North America in 1759" that was published in the Spring 1952 issue of JSAHR.

    I dont know if your copy has the following on the last page:

    "Extracts*from*the*Order*books*of*Capt.*James*Stewa rts*Company*Royal*Highland* Regiment,* 1759*61,*originals*in*The*Black*Watch*Museum,*Pert h,*Scotland.* * With*compliments*to*Col.*P.P.*Hutchinson,*E.D.,*K. C.,*Montreal.* * From*Wm.*B.*Wilson,* The*Black*Watch*Museum,* Perth.

    I*swear*that*these*are*authentic*extracts*from*the *above*mentioned*Order*books*(4).* * (SGD)*W.B.*Wilson,* Pitlochry,* 23.12.47"


    There are a total of 4 orderly books that Stewart kept. We just have a snippet. Those orderly books are in the BW Regimental museum, but to the best of my knowledge, not been photographed the way Stewart's QM book have been, which I somehow was blessed with a copy of all those photographs!

    Im of the mind that outside of the Grenadier company, the 42nd did not have laced regimentals till 61, after the censure by the Clothing Board.

    That is based on this orderly book entry as well as looking at every known painting, engraving and drawing of men of the regiment, the only one that shows lace is Morier.........

    Montreal 27 th April 1761. Reg tl Orders.
    The tailors to be employed in altering the mens waistcoats according to the pattern of last year but to make them longer in the body and the button*holes broader in order to correspond the better with the lace on the new clothing. Such men who have spare waistcoats are to have theirs altered first, beginning with the oldest company, afterwards as the season grows warmer the men who have one waistcoat may more conveniently spare them, as they will be altered in one day. Such men who have no sufficient waistcoats of any kind, must wait till the arrival of the clothing in order to have their old coates converted into waistcoats.


    Also, the whole Company grade vice field grade thing for lapels, that is something that flows from the mind of someone in Osprey land, Ensign Grant of the 77th, his tailor bill specifies lapels, as well as a white waistcoat when he had his uniforms made up in 57.
    Luke, you are blessed with access to more historical resources concerning early Highland regimental dress than I ever was! I admire your zeal in carrying out research on the early Highland regiments!

    As to the Stewart order book, I'm sure my copy is of the 1947 extract - I'm working from memory here, but I'll check it when I get home from work. It begins with the Ticonderoga-Crown Point campaign of 1759 and ends sometime in 1760, but before the Montreal campaign, as I recall. Although I was reenacting the 77th Highlanders, I was principally interested in the information it contained concerning regimental routine and any mention of the 77th. Since all four of Stewart's order books are in the BW Museum, I think it would be a wonderful project for a scholar to transcribe them for the benefit of us lesser mortals! It probably won't happen in my lifetime, but who knows?

    Question for you: What is the publication date of Col McCullough's new book, "A Dangerous Service"? I wish to get a copy as soon as it is available.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    26th September 05
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    349
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Orvis,

    I stand on the shoulders of guys like you who passed on the desire to get it right!

    The book could be out now, it stills says may/june timeframe. Im assuming that Ian will send out an email when its ready to ship

    Getting the full set of orderly books transcribed, getting the 42 Officers and NCO's clothing purchase book in the Lloyd's of London library transcribed, as well as the reams of documents relating to the raising of the 77th and 78th are all things that I hope to get done. I just had a stroke, so im hoping it gets done in my lifetime!

    Im also awaiting Paul Pace's book on the 42nd in the Rev War, that should be quite a wonderful work!

  6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:


  7. #16
    Join Date
    11th July 05
    Location
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    Thanks Orvis,

    I stand on the shoulders of guys like you who passed on the desire to get it right!

    The book could be out now, it stills says may/june timeframe. Im assuming that Ian will send out an email when its ready to ship

    Getting the full set of orderly books transcribed, getting the 42 Officers and NCO's clothing purchase book in the Lloyd's of London library transcribed, as well as the reams of documents relating to the raising of the 77th and 78th are all things that I hope to get done. I just had a stroke, so im hoping it gets done in my lifetime!

    Im also awaiting Paul Pace's book on the 42nd in the Rev War, that should be quite a wonderful work!
    Thanks for the kind words! I hope you get to do the transcriptions you mentioned - that would be a great contribution! As for Paul's book, well, I've been hoping for years that it would be published, and I continue that hope.

  8. #17
    Join Date
    4th April 17
    Location
    North of Philadelphia
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by derosa View Post
    My wife's family on her father's side were Livingstons who came through Schoharie Valley and into Albany and beyond. Scot Presbyterian minister who had to leave Scotland.
    My ancestral home on my father's German side is the palatine house in scoharie. Home of the Reverend Peter N. Sommers.

  9. #18
    Join Date
    26th September 05
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    349
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItchyTick View Post
    My ancestral home on my father's German side is the palatine house in scoharie. Home of the Reverend Peter N. Sommers.
    That is prime 78th, Fraser's Highlanders land! They Garrisoned the Mohawk valley, from Scoharie up to Fort Stanwix the winter of 57-58 after the Louisburg campaign.

    Of course when I was living there in Cherry Valley/Cooperstown I was taking a hiatus from Highland reenacting as my day job was 1750's Mohawk interpretation.

  10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:


  11. #19
    Join Date
    13th June 17
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty interesting stuff. I haven't been to the fort in a number of years (close to 30).
    "Bratach Bhan Chlann Aoidh!"

    7/5th of the adult population do not understand fractions.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0