X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt sun bleaching.

Anyone ever purposely sun bleach a kilt to fade or change the color of a tartan? I am curious what type of color changes can be achieved through natural bleaching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There might be another way to make the tartan look weathered or older? Sun bleaching doesn't sound to me like it would work well. I've never seen it done before.

Plus, the sun doesn't shine enough in Scotland to bleach a kilt, I would guess.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    Proud Member of Clan Macpherson!
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove"

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OKSooner For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Period dyes do oxidize. Not so sure about modern dyes that are purposely designed to be colorfast. I remember a big tadoo over a bunch of confederate uniforms from a progressive/hardcore sutler that oxidized over a weekend. Pretty sure it was logwood dye that went black to purple between morning and evening colors ceremonies.
    Last edited by Luke MacGillie; 16th April 17 at 06:25 PM.

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here's a difference

Quote Originally Posted by Derekc5555 View Post
    Anyone ever purposely sun bleach a kilt to fade or change the color of a tartan? I am curious what type of color changes can be achieved through natural bleaching.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	left side exposed to sun and rain for a year right side right off the bolt .jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	259.8 KB 
ID:	30678 The left side has been exposed to sun and rain for over a year and the right side is how it was right off the bolt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	left side exposed to sun and rain for a year right side right off the bolt .jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	259.8 KB 
ID:	30678 The left side has been exposed to sun and rain for over a year and the right side is how it was right off the bolt
    Wow! That was a year of exposure? Modern dyes are more resilient than I expected. I figured you'd get results like that after a week or less of exposure, not a year.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derekc5555 View Post
    Wow! That was a year of exposure? Modern dyes are more resilient than I expected. I figured you'd get results like that after a week or less of exposure, not a year.
    Not sure why you would assume that the change would happen so quickly. Normal clothing does not fade in a week so there is no reason modern tartan would either.

I have done some similar experimentation with both artificial and natural dyes. The former tend to fade uniformly to a paler version of the original colours whereas natural dyes fade or change differentially, i. e. some change more than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    Period dyes do oxidize. Not so sure about modern dyes that are purposely designed to be colorfast. I remember a big tadoo over a bunch of confederate uniforms from a progressive/hardcore sutler that oxidized over a weekend. Pretty sure it was logwood dye that went black to purple morning and evening colors ceremonies.
    Unlike Logwood, Indigo is light fast, especially in the darker shades. Scarlet from cochineal is pretty resilient too compared with yellows and greens. The latter is why in medieaval tapestries the trees and grass are invariably blue.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OKSooner View Post
    There might be another way to make the tartan look weathered or older? Sun bleaching doesn't sound to me like it would work well. I've never seen it done before.

Plus, the sun doesn't shine enough in Scotland to bleach a kilt, I would guess.
    Well yes and no. Whilst it is true we in Scotland do not have the amounts of sun that other places in the world have, nor the heat, but when we do have the sun,it is actually very strong as we have very little air pollution. A fact often forgotten even by the locals to their considerable discomfort.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    ...some change more than others.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: