X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friends wedded, Scotch imbibed, kilts flaunted

New experiences, for which I mostly blame my buddy Rolf. He and his lovely betrothed asked, nearly two years ago, that I officiate at their wedding. They wanted a secular ceremony, but with Jewish and Methodist overtones (what could possibly go wrong?), and the groom's party and officiant kilted.

Long party short, it came together magnificently, nobody tried to shoot the "preacher," and we all had a fine time trying to keep the damp spring breeze out of our kilts.

Attached (hopefully) is the only picture I have so far, which is yours truly and Carl, wearing kilts in U.S. Army and Leatherneck, respectively.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1493609555045.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	30748

2. The Following 11 Users say 'Aye' to Taffy Jack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations to the couple and Semper Fi to the groom.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jhead7090 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhead7090 View Post
    Congratulations to the couple and Semper Fi to the groom.
    I'll cheerfully pass your encouraging motto along to Carl, who was a guest. The groom (Rolf) is a navy vet.

Pictures of other kilts coming. Pretty Wife and I weren't the photographers; more like "staff."

It was a grand day, all told. Couple hundred folks sharing a party for several hours, with never a raised voice except to laugh.

The only wedding I've ever enjoyed more was my own sneaky elopement with PW -- we composed vows on the spot, got hitched by the license clerk, went back to sharing projects, and didn't even tell the kids for a week or two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Jack View Post
    Attached (hopefully) is the only picture I have so far, which is yours truly and Carl, wearing kilts in U.S. Army and Leatherneck, respectively.
    Forgot to mention: I followed X Marks's advice on wearing low quarters (Allen Edmonds cap toe Oxfords that I've owned since dirt was rocks) instead of jump boots, but sadly not due to any adult restraint on my part. In truth, it was only because I waited until the last minute to spit-shine my aulde Corcorans, decided to cheat with a power tool, and destroyed the left toe cap. By the end of the evening, I was really wishing for the skeletal support that good boots give.

My bow tie is bride's purple; red flashes are groom's color, which I like to call artillery red. Sox are Lewis (because of course they are) hose from Cheviot, in Ancient Blue (is it okay if I call it infantry blue?). Sporran, shirt, and PC came from USA Kilts, as did my 8-yard "tank."

Carl ordered his Leatherneck kilt from Sport Kilts, along with hose and flashes. The balance of his outfit came from his closet, as he -- much unlike yours truly -- is a consistently well-dressed fellow. I don't yet have a picture of Carl's date, another old friend who looked absolutely smashing in her (ahem) "slightly modified" tartan schoolgirl skirt. Yes: hers still fits.

Other gents wore a wide range of kilts, falling heavily on the Utilikilt end of the spectrum. We are the spiritual homeland for MUGs, it seems.

Cheers,

Jack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Jack View Post
    Other gents wore a wide range of kilts, falling heavily on the Utilikilt end of the spectrum. We are the spiritual homeland for MUGs, it seems.
    And a shot of the wedding party:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RJ wedding party.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	30754

Of two groomsmen wearing pants, one is my daughter. The bridesmaid in a kilt is Julie's cousin, Mark. Fine guy with a strong sense of himself. My daughter has that, too.

Rolf (the groom) sourced his kilt and sporran from Kilted Bros. Lineman's boots are from Wesco. They functioned, er... "smashingly well" for crushing the glass wine glass at the end of their service. His sgian was a Buck skinner.

The only true Scot in the party, AFAWK, is Martin (3rd from the groom, next to my daughter), who asserts that he inherited his knee hair in the traditional manner: from his dear mother. He is known for occasionally smuggling haggis over the border from Victoria, and is seen here in his U-kilt because apparently Scots with good highland beards get to wear any dang thing they want -- especially when they fry up a huge, bubbling pot of beignets after the rituals are duly observed.

One more thing I forgot to mention: my "sgian dubh" was a sloyd knife from Frost. It's the picnic knife we carry in the family car, and it's missing in the shot with Carl because it had been hustled off to for kitchen duties by Pretty Wife, who takes a dim view of purely ceremonial artifacts.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taffy Jack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic display by all parties involved. Glad to see old military folk have so much fun in the guise of a wedding. Give my congratulations to the new couple.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post: