X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying first Kilt

Hello. I have never owned a kilt before. I am looking to buy my first Kilt. I intend to use my Kilt occasionally when going out to a nice dinner. Are there any general rules of the minimum amount of accessories I should have? From what I have read I should get an 8-yard Kilt. What should I look for when I discuss buying my Kilt? I am in California does anyone have any suggestions of a reputable company to buy my Kilt from? My clan is Buchanan. I know there are all styles of Buchanan Kilts but is there one that is generally considered more recognizable? Any and all help will truly help me. I'm looking forward to owning my first Kilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So many questions so I'll address only the one pertaining to the Buchanan tartans.

I am assuming that you are familiar with at least a few of them. The most recognizable is the Buchanan Modern - very bright colors and the one you see most commonly. Next would probably be the Buchanan Ancient - it has the same sett but the colors are a bit more subdued. Then would come the Buchanan Modern Hunting which has a totally different coloring and sett. The lucky thing is you don't have to stop at just one ;-)

My suggestion would be if you want to be recognized almost instantly (by those familiar) as a Buchanan you should buy the Modern.

Hopefully others will jump in on the other questions.

As for a kilt maker, California is a big state you might want to narrow down the area you live in. You can always of course buy a kilt from a reputable kilt maker elsewhere - I would start with the great group who advertise on this forum.

Good luck and Clar Innis!
    CTBuchanan
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First from Reno, NV.

The advertisers here are wonderful. USAkilts has a wonderful website that can help answer a lot of questions. I have now four 5 yard wool kilts from them and a number of PV also. They are easy to deal with via e-mail and phone.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Richrail For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenquon View Post
    Hello. I have never owned a kilt before. I am looking to buy my first Kilt. I intend to use my Kilt occasionally when going out to a nice dinner.
    For a nice dinner with the wife I like to wear a pair of kilt socks with nice shoes, button up shirt and waistcoat, and a tie that matches. I've got a blue and a purple shirt that match the kilt and two pairs of socks that will come close to matching. Really it's what I would wear to dinner any time its a nice one with the wife but with a kilt subbed for the pants.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you might enjoy this thread if you haven't already. http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...d-attire-46888
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Richrail For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome and congrats!

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on deciding to get a kilt.

I would actually advise against starting off with an 8-yard kilt if you're not 100% sure on what you'd like yet. It just seems to be too substantial of an investment before you're sure... but everyone's situation is different, of course ;-)

All other have given some fantastic information here... I have enjoyed many of the USA Kilts products, from their semi-traditional kilt, 5-yard wool, to their "premier" 8-yard kilts. To start with, I think the semi-traditional kilts are very nice, easily dresses up or down, machine washable, and a good benchmark to start from while being affordable. Their 5-yard kilts are well made, of good quality, and uses the same fabrics and tartans as their 8-yard kilts. The only aesthetic difference you'll really see is the sett sizes tend to be smaller with PV cloths because the threads are thinner than wool. It also will be a lighter garment relative to 16oz wool (it's roughly 11-12oz material).

If I were you, I'd start with a USA Kilts Semi-traditional kilt (made of top-end Teflon-treated PV cloth), and when you're more sure of what you want, get an 8-yard Tank in Buchanan or whatever tartan you want.

As far as accessories, what is "required" depends on the occasion and formality. Sounds like you may be concerned about budget? Here's the simpler versions of what I'd do on a budget:
    If I'm out for a fancy dinner, I'd go with decent hose + flashes, sporran of choice, and a shirt with vest (or belt) and waistcoat.
    If I'm out for a more casual occasion, I'd go with belt, polo shirt, hose and flashes, sporran.
    If I'm out for a casual or semi-casual occasion in cooler weather, I'd just go with hose + flashes, sporran, and a sweater.. no belt necessary.
    I asked my wife to knit self-tied flashes out of solid colored wool yarn... we looked up patterns from older posts on this forum and she tried it. Works great and I get lots of complements on them.

Good luck!

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to HuDonald For This Useful Post: