X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend asked me why I wear a kilt?

Recently a friend asked me why I wear a kilt , it's not that I'm always kilted, far from it, sometimes it may be weeks even months without being kilted but nevertheless when the opportunity arises I'll wear the kilt.
    So why do i wear it? The best answer i suppose is that i like wearing it. I don't lead a lifestyle that would allow me to be kilted everyday but then i probably wouldn't want that. The kilt can be restrictive in so many ways and for daily routine tasks , it's just not appropriate.
    So why do i love wearing it, i don't know, it was something i always wanted to wear and i am extremely happy while kilted, it's my nature to want to have this alternative to pants or trousers in the same way some people i know would never ever wear the kilt.
    So i just love wearing it and at times feel compelled to wear it, almost like a drug fulfilling my needs . The good thing is that I'm glad that i have this urge to be kilted.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Jimmy I can see your reasoning there and good points you raise. Actually I am slightly jealous of your excitement and enthusiasm in your kilt wearing exploits. I think it is because I have worn the kilt for nearly all my life in a kilted atmosphere that those feelings are now buried too deep to register. In fact, I wonder if those feelings ever existed? Whilst I am very aware of the kilt being Highland Scots attire and I am proud of that and latterly and less importantly to me, the kilt has become Scotland's National attire. I actually wear the kilt as a clothing choice that on most occasions, could be just as easily be trousers.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can totally empathise with your feelings regarding the kilt Jimmy, with the added scenario that I simply find my kilts much more comfortable than trousers. Something to do with my body shape I guess and just lucky that from a very young age my parents decided I should have a kilt - not an unusual scenario with a family home in Argyll.

Now-a-days there is the additional benefit of cost. I have never been able to wear men's jeans and the only remaining suit I can comfortably wear was tailor made many years ago, is a trifle thread bare and cost more than a kilt on its own would have done then. To replace it now would not make financial sense with a couple of woolen kilts and a kilt jacket and waistcoat in my wardrobe.

With the availability of cheaper kilts, PV and acrylic, which I know are not deemed proper kilts but which, when worn with suitable accoutements, few outside the Highlands know the difference, I can happily substtitute those for jeans or cords for most activities and often for not much more cost. So now that I can, I do, almost every day.

I can also totally understand where Jock is coming from, but then his upbringing from obviously somewhat different from mine.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpa View Post
    - not an unusual scenario with a family home in Argyll.
    Awww ... Argyll, my ancestral home; lately I've begun to hear its call.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to javankrona For This Useful Post:

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When asked why I am wearing a kilt, I usually reply that if I take it off, they will arrest me!
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

9. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to Geoff Withnell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpa View Post
    I can totally empathise with your feelings regarding the kilt Jimmy, with the added scenario that I simply find my kilts much more comfortable than trousers. Something to do with my body shape I guess and just lucky that from a very young age my parents decided I should have a kilt - not an unusual scenario with a family home in Argyll.

Now-a-days there is the additional benefit of cost. I have never been able to wear men's jeans and the only remaining suit I can comfortably wear was tailor made many years ago, is a trifle thread bare and cost more than a kilt on its own would have done then. To replace it now would not make financial sense with a couple of woolen kilts and a kilt jacket and waistcoat in my wardrobe.

With the availability of cheaper kilts, PV and acrylic, which I know are not deemed proper kilts but which, when worn with suitable accoutements, few outside the Highlands know the difference, I can happily substtitute those for jeans or cords for most activities and often for not much more cost. So now that I can, I do, almost every day.

I can also totally understand where Jock is coming from, but then his upbringing from obviously somewhat different from mine.
    I agree with you that the kilt is much more comfortable than trousers, the only proviso is that it so easy to slip on a pair of trousers or shorts whereas the kilt always takes a bit of time putting on.
    Your point about cheaper kilts is a good one, I'm sure that this has introduced more people to the kilt as buying a more expensive kilt is so prohibitive, i certainly would not be wearing the kilt as much if it was not for the availability of less demanding price but in saying that i defend the the less costly kilt for its variety of use that you would not wear an expensive kilt for. Examples are hill walking, football or rugby matches or just occasionally when you decide to wear it at the weekend to the pub.
    Like you i don't wear suits too often , i don't think they fit me anymore so when formality is required then the kilt comes into its own.
    Still would love to know what makes some men love the kilt and some people like my brother and some friends who say they would not be seen dead in a kilt and they are born and bred Scots?

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jimmy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    ... whereas the kilt always takes a bit of time putting on.
    On date night, I was used to waiting for SHMBO (she who must be obeyed) to finish getting ready. Now that I'm kilted on most of those nights, we are both ready nearly at the same time ... unless I have difficulty selecting the proper hose, or sporran 😜

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to javankrona For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you ask him why he wears pants? You'll either get a dumbfounded look or an answer around the idea that everybody wears them which could lead to a good discussion of being yourself and not feeling the need to follow the herd to be comfortable.
    Personally I could never stand to wear jeans, so uncomfortable but growing up jeans were cheap and slacks weren't as cheap and my parents wouldn't spend the difference. Minute I had the money for my own clothes it was cargo pants and shorts and slacks. Kilts are just an extension of wanting loose fitting comfortable clothing. Although I don't wear them everyday I do wear them several times a week and there are very few things I consider it inappropriate to wear a kilt doing, just depends on the cost/quality of the kilt vs what's being done.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to derosa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Still would love to know what makes some men love the kilt and some people like my brother and some friends who say they would not be seen dead in a kilt and they are born and bred Scots?
    i guess one of the reasons is that they have never tried, so not experienced the many benefits. Also if you are not introduced to it at an early age, then it doesn't come naturally to you. Of course the opposite may also apply that if forced to wear one when young, you turn against it.

But talking about benefits, many years ago one of my school friends wore his kilt to hitch hike through France. I understand he was rarely short of either a lift or somewhere to stay for the night.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not of kilt heritage I fell into the comfort of kilt wearing while wearing a towel wrap. Since then a kilt has proved to be far less restrictive and tiring than slacks or shorts whether driving, hiking, yardwork or anything else.
    I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots. Einstein (maybe)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast