X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamamedic View Post
    Might I suggest a Sarong?
    A sarong and a malong is what i wear when I'm just at home relaxing or doing chores, it's not what I'd wear going to work though.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    McMurdo, What about a P/V kilt for the tropical climate....it's easy to wash and dry.....I'm thinking a heavy or even lighter wool kilt that takes special care when cleaning might not get the proper attention when it is cleaned.......I'm new to kilting as well and have a P/V kilt for my first kilt and am now having a 16oz wool kilt built , but our weather has as many cool days as warm and sometimes more.......you always seem to give good and valuable advice and do so without being too opinionated or arrogant
    Thanks Terry
    I never thought about PV as I prefer natural fabrics, it may be better in the climate described, but as I live in Canada I have no idea.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianGinQC View Post
    Why a box-pleated kilt sir? Please enlighten me. Does the design make it lighter or roomier?
    The yardage makes it lighter, there are kilt makers who specialize in 4 yard box pleated kilts that can answer these questions better than I. If you do a search on box pleats you should find some interesting reading. Here is a thread I wrote up about the Carolina tartan which I had done as a 4 yard Box Pleat:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...arolina-41560/

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in Canada too

Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    Thanks Terry
    I never thought about PV as I prefer natural fabrics, it may be better in the climate described, but as I live in Canada I have no idea.
    I live in Canada as well but on the west coast and on Balmy Vancouver Island. The second part of my comment regarding maintenance is what I would think just as crucial especially for a first time kilt wearer.....in my case I am super conscious about how a kilt must be maintained and how hard that might be in the Phillipines. I'm thinking a person who has lots of experience in wearing a kilt might have learned easier ways to keep the kilt looking sharp. I was thinking it might be very easy to ruin an expensive Wool garment rather than a less expensive P/V kilt

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If looking for a Tartan, you are, as a member of this forum, fully authorized to wear the X Marks Tartan which you can see as the background of this page.

Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianGinQC View Post
    Thank you all for the assistance, I am always learning something new about kilting everyday! A follow-up question if you'll indulge me. What kind of kilt should I purchase if I'm living in the Philippines? We have a warm tropical climate much like Sinapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. I would like something that allows me to walk around comfortably and not sweat too much.
    When I lived in Japan, visited the Philippines and Malaysia, I often wore my 13oz Camel Thompson. It was reasonably comfortable for the climate and always had nice comments on it from locals. Plus the beige tartan/colour scheme seemed to blend reasonably well without appearing too loud or attention-grabbing.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CDNSushi For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going through some old photos, another kilt I wore was my old Utilikilt... Here's me wearing it on Camiguin Island a few years ago. Also climate-appropriate.

DSCF0649.jpg

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CDNSushi For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no rule that says who can wear what tartan, yet there are some social ideas about a clan or family affiliation when wearing a clan or family tartan. Although some clan tartans (especially some Stewart tartans) are now considered universal tartans, I normally go with tartans that are not affiliated with a clan, such as fashion or regional tartans. There are several of these tartans that can be found easily and are available from many kilt makers. I see that there have already been a few nice universal tartans mentioned by others and some of the better on line lists of universal tartans can be found here:
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...tartans-41730/

PS: I also go for PV in hot weather, yet some people are more comfortable in wool on a hot day. I think climate has something to do with it.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to LKM For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are lots of lovely tartans that have no clan affiliation, which are worn by those both with and without a clan of their own. I am very partial to the Holyrood and Isle of Skye tartans, myself; and while I have my own clan kilt, I keep thinking that I shall some day have to add these to my collection.

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to plaid preacher For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Local Regional tartans continue to proliferate. I got this from Twitter just moments ago:

Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

19. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast